Trailer Stuff at SEMA 2015

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I don't know if Schutt is displaying this trailer or of some other company is, I didn't see any sign or other indication that it was put there by Schutt. I'll see if I can find out.

Really doesn't matter who's trailer it is, SEMA isn't able follow their own rules if Shutt doesn't have a booth inside. I don't begrudge anyone wanting to display a vehicle outside at SEMA, I just think the rules should be enforced universally or not at all.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Interesting to see the Xventure Trailer being exhibited...

I went out there to find out - I was told the trailer was placed there by Score International Off-Road Racing. What it has to do with high-speed off-rad racers I don't know, but it wasn't put there explicitly by Schutt.

I'd be curious to know what the hard folding bed cover is on the Xventure?

While I was there I checked the name on the cover: "Rugged Cover II". Not sure how makes it but that should give you enough to go on.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm interested. Can you please do so when you have time?

I'll scan and post the pages sometime this weekend when I get home.

I talked to the Smittybilt people a little more, here's what I learned.

This is their version 2 prototype, they say they still have a few more tweaks to make before it's final. I didn't ask what tweaks.

The bolt circle is 5-on-5 (JK). Two people I asked had different answers about whether other hub options would be available, one said they're thinking about it, one said no. So maybe they haven't made a final decision yet.

It's called a "Kit" because some assembly is required, mostly for shipping purposes, but also that way it can be registered as a home-built/kit trailer, which I think probably relieves them of some legal responsibility.

I was told it will retail for $5,000, including the tent.

Internal storage sliders are nice but unfortunately take up valuable space and add a lot more weight then people realize (heavy duty drawer sliders are not light)

As for the Xventure trailer, I sure hope the "kitchen" is someones home project. Quick trip to home depot (folding table, basin, faucet, stove top) and you can add that option to any trailer.

Now the "Storegate tailgate storage compartment/trail table"...... I hope who whoever is offering that is embarrassed. That is a sad excuse for a product.

Attachments

• SmittyRecon4_zpsjv2kbf3p.jpg
    SmittyRecon4_zpsjv2kbf3p.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Xventure3_zpsksse2smb.jpg
    Xventure3_zpsksse2smb.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 82
  • StoreGate2_zpscpolvrda.jpg
    StoreGate2_zpscpolvrda.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 83

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...Now the "Storegate tailgate storage compartment/trail table"...... I hope who whoever is offering that is embarrassed. That is a sad excuse for a product.

I've been watching the reaction of people in the booth that's showing the StoreGate. The comments have been very positive, at least when I was within earshot. Probably most would get used in Jeeps rather than trailers, but here's a prototype in use in a trailer:

StoreGateFinalOpen1.jpg

And a few prototypes in use on Jeeps, a JK and an LJ...

StoreGateJK3_zps44xpbruu.jpg

StoreGateLJ2.jpg

The retail price range the company has been quoting for the StoreGate is significantly below many of the other compartment/trail table options that are on the market today, so I suspect it will do well based on that and on the comments I've heard at SEMA. But maybe it's not right for you :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
There are very few trailers at the show this year, and few new trailer-specific items. Many of the same trailer gear companies that are there every year are here again, but not much new that I found. I did find these storage boxes that are intended for the pickup truck market that might be useful on a trailer, either across the tongue or perhaps along the sides. They're a little more than 4' long, weatherproof, and they have removable trays above the main storage compartment. Not a trailer-specific item, but perhaps useful.

DuHaBox_zpsikamakkw.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
If your trailer has a side-swing tailgate, this could be handy - the Storegate tailgate storage compartment/trail table. Shown here on a JK tailgate, it also fits on TJ tailgates (of course it could be useful on your Jeep too). Should be on the market in Q1 2016.

StoreGate1_zpsjryvrk23.jpg

StoreGate2_zpscpolvrda.jpg

Looking forward to this one!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looking forward to this one!

The reactions I heard about it from SEMA attendees were very positive. The main comments were that the cupholders should be a bit deeper (the company agrees), and the door/table shouldn't be bright diamondplate - maybe instead black diamondplate or smooth black (the company is very open on that one).

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I was digging the earlier version with the mesh closure. I was thinking about mate covering the diamond plate with a cutting board anyways.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was digging the earlier version with the mesh closure. I was thinking about mate covering the diamond plate with a cutting board anyways.

The company plans to offer both versions of the StoreGate - the cargo net version and the locking door/trail table version.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman