Trailer Suspension options... for overland trailer

SnowLizard

I have a similar trailer (aerotow) with the original leaf spring setup and am wanting to go Torsion. If yours is like mine, and it looks like it is. There's just a strip of metal welded to the frame where the springs are attached.

Here's my trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXwNBErl79I

-M

torsion is nice, but every company I called can't make me the axle I want.

yes I can get 6 lug ... lowest rated availible is @ 3500 lbs...
yes I can get the mounting points for the trailer at my 39.75 inch trailer width
yes i can get an axle less than 2000 ... but this axle only comes with 4-5 lug only.

so yes, I can, but no I can't use my wheels to match my tow vehicle, or get the ride I want.

above reasons is why I went with the leafs...

My trailer was built in 2005, looks like a copy/cat of yours... most of my metal is formed channel (flat 3/8 inch formed to a C channel or other frame strength parts)

IF I could get a 6 lug, 1800 torsion axle, I would...

97kurt

Adventurer
I'm gonna need to see more pics of that rear bumper :) Looks pretty sweet.

For 6 on 5.5" pattern, you have to go with 2000/3500 lb spindles.. I looked when I made my teardrop. You could run wheel adapters.

Gizzard Stone

Overlander
I see that the spindle is different for the 6 lug hubs? I found a torsion axle without hubs, and was going to just buy the 6 lug hubs. But I still will need wheel spacers to account for the Toyota backspacing, so a wheel adaptor might work better...

-M

SnowLizard

it works!!

YES!! wheel adapters make it perfect....

so last night I confirmed the straight axle 6 lug hub or torsion hub doesn't sit right on the tire, and there was no way to make it work safely with any kind of lug/shank... so I took the spacer off my truck and tried it on the hub. You won't be able to use the nuts the adapter comes with as the thread is different so use the hub 'lugs' that it comes with, AND you MUST use a thin wall socket to get it to tighten... with the spacer you now have a hub centric mount point for the toyota wheels...

I didn't know this before yesterday, most trailer shops will not mention this or admit this, as it's probably against their insurance policy...

So I ordered a set from spidertrax that fit my 4 runner.

97kurt

Adventurer
YES!! wheel adapters make it perfect....

so last night I confirmed the straight axle 6 lug hub or torsion hub doesn't sit right on the tire, and there was no way to make it work safely with any kind of lug/shank... so I took the spacer off my truck and tried it on the hub. You won't be able to use the nuts the adapter comes with as the thread is different so use the hub 'lugs' that it comes with, AND you MUST use a thin wall socket to get it to tighten... with the spacer you now have a hub centric mount point for the toyota wheels...

I didn't know this before yesterday, most trailer shops will not mention this or admit this, as it's probably against their insurance policy...

So I ordered a set from spidertrax that fit my 4 runner.

Good call, I forgot about the lug-centric issue with the 4runner rims. The spacers fix that. I switched over to land cruiser rims and 1/2" studs a few years ago. Guessing thats why I had no issues with my trailer hubs.

mmuthart

Observer
Go with a softer spring so it rides decent when not so loaded and airbags to add capacity for heavier loads.

Attachments

• TrailerAirBag.jpg
    TrailerAirBag.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 47

Gizzard Stone

Overlander
The 4Runner wheels are lug or hub centric? And that means they aren't compatible with standard trailer hubs?

I have a 3rd gen 4Runner with stock rims.

-M

97kurt

Adventurer
The 4Runner wheels are lug or hub centric? And that means they aren't compatible with standard trailer hubs?

I have a 3rd gen 4Runner with stock rims.

-M

If you have the alloy wheels, they are lug centric (I hope thats the correct term) where the lug nut centers the rim onto the hub. You can use these on a trailer, you just need to have metric studs on the trailer hub and more of the expensive toyota lug nuts.

SnowLizard

I'll let the pics talk first...

going to drop off...

dang didn't upload my travel pics...

specs...
3500 solid axle
2x1500lbs (4 leaf) springs ... 2 leafs removed for comfort per side
61inch axle
Spidertrax wheel spacers!!! this MADE the hubs 'centric' for the wheels...

My tire track is ~ 1inch wider than my truck...
So I have split 3 spoke wheels that I wanted, with a 59inch axle, and spacers with split 3 spoke it would be exact with the truck... but they didn't/couldn't get a 59inch axle soon enough for me... so 61 inch (cause they come in odd lengths unless customed) and I had the taco wheels, but they sit in .5 inches compared to the split 3 spoke... so only 1 inch wider... I'll probably sell it when I make my sleeper trailer so I'm not too concerned...

overall, I LOVE IT! it's perfect for me needs, and the leafs are WAY smoother than the torsion axle, mine must have been worn out, it's a 2005 made trailer, so 10 yrs and the axles worn... I know trailers with 35yr old leafs that are still in great condition... taking a 4 leaf 1500 pak and removing 2 leafs really made this thing perfect... when we loaded it up with EVERYTHING for the week it was perfect weight, I made it more perfect for the road @ 34psi, and trail at 25psi... thing never bounced at those pressures... was bouncy ish at 36psi in tires on road. good thing I brought my tire pump.

anyways just wanted to share... my cargo box on wheels.

thanks all for the tib-bits, Hope I helped back.

if anyone wants specific info/pics just ask.

SnowLizard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman