Trailer tires at vs mud

Longrange

Professor
So I picked up a cheap $200 trailer to haul the extra gear when the wife comes along. I repacked the bearings and selected some procomp rims 15x8, since the current ones don't match each other. I was just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between MT tires and AT tires on the trail? Most of the roads traveled will be washboard, and rock to snow in the higher elevations. Any info would be appreciated. Heading down to purchase three tires based on the groups recommendations, Thanks in advance.:coffee:

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
So I picked up a cheap $200 trailer to haul the extra gear when the wife comes along. I repacked the bearings and selected some procomp rims 15x8, since the current ones don't match each other. I was just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between MT tires and AT tires on the trail? Most of the roads traveled will be washboard, and rock to snow in the higher elevations. Any info would be appreciated. Heading down to purchase three tires based on the groups recommendations, Thanks in advance.:coffee:

The only reasons why I would choose mud over AT's is if they were a perfect match on the vehicle and could be used as spares.
I do not think MT and AT are that different on a trailer tyre so long as they are LT rated.

Pete79

Observer
My preference is AT.
Purely because your not relying on the trailer tires for traction.

As long as they have good side walls, I don't believe they need to have overly aggressive tread patterns. There's no real advantage in my view.

A set of swampers on a trailer is going to do nothing but shake up your beers... :hehe:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
It's a trailer, the lower rolling resistance the better. There is no need for a traction tire on a trailer, get a good set of A/Ts.

Steve F

Adventurer
Side grip is handy, you don't want the trailer sliding down the trail on off camber tracks. Of course it depends on the trails you are doing. Muddies might also have a thicker side wall etc so could potentially be tougher.

Can you guess I have muddies on mine, but it is ex military and came with them ;)

Cheers
Steve

Fursphere

Observer
I guess there could be an argument for better tires if you're planning on matching tires/wheels/bolt pattern to the tow rig, for use in case of emergencies. (remove tires from trailer to get the tow rig up and going type of situation)

If you go down that road, you might want to consider the trailer tires in your scheduled tire rotations, and budget for 7 tires when you buy new, instead of 4/5... :)

Longrange

Professor
Thanks for the replies. I went with AT tires. No shaken beers, they get to travel in the H3 chilled by the Engle.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12