Trailerable expedition boat

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I will catch up with that thread and you tomorrow. Later.

No worries. Have a look when you can. I have a big weekend planned so maybe won't be back here till Mon or Tuesday night. Have a good one.

Mickldo

Adventurer
OK, I have been promising some pics of the 6m Centre Cab we did. Well I finally grabbed a couple of the pics from work.

Mickldo

Adventurer
Some more....

You can see how the centre cab has the walkaround deck on each side. I won't have this, I prefer the conventional half cab. By having a half cab you gain extra room between the seats where you walk through to the cab. You can still walk around to the bow but it is up on the gunwale instead of down in the walkway.

You can also see the roller shutter door we use to save room in the cab.

Mickldo

Adventurer
If I fit a diesel (not if, when:rolleyes:) I can push the transom back a fair way. On the outboard models you need to leave room to allow the motor to tilt all the way up. With the inboard the back of the transom can be pushed all the way back and the motor will mostly hide in under the transom.

Here are some pics of an inboard diesel we are building at the moment at work. It is a 7m with a Yanmar 6BY260Z.

whatcharterboat

Hi Mick

Awesome work. For what it's worth Mick, I'm a real inboard fan too.

The 8 metre cats we did for the Army had all the radio masts, radar and GPS antennas on a S/S frame that hinged and was able to lay back on the roof for when you were in transit. A couple of big wing nuts and it was ready to go. That's another thing I think you should consider.

A 6 meter boat is going to sit pretty high on the trailer and want to take out a few trees along the way. So you might have to consider this carefully. Certainly more than you would do a standard model.

Noticed the big winches. The Army trailers big recovery winches too. Maybe 8000lb connected via some double insulated twin O B&S to an Anderson plug at the back of the unimogs. Sure I have some pics somewhere. We built 8 of them for the Special forces to use a support vessels for RIB training.

Looking at the way they sit on the trailer I think that gooseneck idea which could incorporate the winch post would work well too.

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
Awesome work. For what it's worth Mick, I'm a real inboard fan too.

The 8 metre cats we did for the Army had all the radio masts, radar and GPS antennas on a S/S frame that hinged and was able to lay back on the roof for when you were in transit. A couple of big wing nuts and it was ready to go. That's another thing I think you should consider.

A 6 meter boat is going to sit pretty high on the trailer and want to take out a few trees along the way. So you might have to consider this carefully. Certainly more than you would do a standard model.

Noticed the big winches. The Army trailers big recovery winches too. Maybe 8000lb connected via some double insulated twin O B&S to an Anderson plug at the back of the unimogs. Sure I have some pics somewhere. We built 8 of them for the Special forces to use a support vessels for RIB training.

Looking at the way they sit on the trailer I think that gooseneck idea which could incorporate the winch post would work well too.

I don't mind having a fold down targa but that usually means a soft top which will mean a PITA to mount the PVL's.

I suppose I could do a low windscreen with some small clears and then have a folding full length hardtop on a couple of S/S tube targas.

Another advantage of this is reduced weight and a lowered centre of gravity.

Not to mention that it will be easier for me to make compared to the full hard top we make at work. There is a LOT of manhours that goes into making that all alloy roof. Even the rounded corners of the roof are hand formed from aluminium.

Thanks for the idea. I hadn't really thought about that but I am liking it more and more.

Mickldo

Adventurer
Mickldo said:
I don't mind having a fold down targa but that usually means a soft top which will mean a PITA to mount the PVL's.

I suppose I could do a low windscreen with some small clears and then have a folding full length hardtop on a couple of S/S tube targas.

Another advantage of this is reduced weight and a lowered centre of gravity.

Not to mention that it will be easier for me to make compared to the full hard top we make at work. There is a LOT of manhours that goes into making that all alloy roof. Even the rounded corners of the roof are hand formed from aluminium.

Thanks for the idea. I hadn't really thought about that but I am liking it more and more.

OK I reread your post and you were only suggesting the aerials and lights laying back but I thought you meant the roof. Either way I like the idea of the whole roof folding down for traveling.

Mickldo

Adventurer
Something like this but hinged so it can lay down for traveling.

s21xl2.jpg

whatcharterboat

Something like this but hinged so it can lay down for traveling.

Yeah . I was only talking about the antennas and radar, etc. but having the roof go down would be much better (and if you could get the screen to fold down as well that would be the ultimate). To mount the PVLs you would need a hard top that telescopes up/down or somehow hinges. Probably you would have to keep it really light and never walk on it. Remember that they are about 2800mm long x 393mm wide for a 68watt PVL.

Don't use the junction/ termination box they supply you with. I'll show you how to run/cover the wiring when you get around to it. The wiring comes out the top of the panel not the bottom.

How cool would an inboard version of "Bluebella" look (and with the same transom as the 7m one you are working on now)?

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
Yeah . I was only talking about the antennas and radar, etc. but having the roof go down would be much better (and if you could get the screen to fold down as well that would be the ultimate). To mount the PVLs you would need a hard top that telescopes up/down or somehow hinges. Probably you would have to keep it really light and never walk on it. Remember that they are about 2800mm long x 393mm wide for a 68watt PVL.

Don't use the junction/ termination box they supply you with. I'll show you how to run/cover the wiring when you get around to it. The wiring comes out the top of the panel not the bottom.

How cool would an inboard version of "Bluebella" look (and with the same transom as the 7m one you are working on now)?

I reckon the PVL's would fit on the hardtop. By my really rough measurements I'd have over 3m available so the 2800mm PVL's should fit OK.

I like the windscreen style on "Bluebella" but I would add some clears for a bit of extra protection in rough weather.

I am leaning more towards a hinged canopy rather than a telescopic one.

Mickldo

Adventurer
I sold my tinny last week to give me extra funds for the when-I-get-a-big-enough-shed-to-start-building-my-boat-account. I am planning on using some of the funds to buy a kayak so I still have a boat of some description. I went kayak shopping today and checked out a heap of different designs. The one I am thinking of getting is a http://www.suncoastkayaks.com.au/suncoast%20kayaks_003.htm They are a cheaper entry level kayak but I reckon I will be able to set it up for the style of fishing I like pretty simply. I can get one of these brand new for a cheaper price than most secondhand kayaks.

One of the local dams is stocked with barramundi but they have motor restrictions and I haven't been able to fish out there for quite a while. Having a kayak will allow me to fish there again. I will be able to roof rack the kayak whenever I visit Fraser Island rather than having to pay double the barge fare to take my tinny on the trailer. The other major reason for me getting a kayak is I will be able to use it as a tender when I build the 6m platey. I'll be able to strap it to the roof of the 6m and use it to get me ashore when I can't take the 6m in due to shallow water.

David_in_TX

Adventurer
Here is an alternative Trailerable expedition boat; the C-Dory 25 cruiser.

They are not for everyone, they are relatively slow, and in the chop, you must slow down. But their deep V, entry combined with a flat bottom aft, gives them unique abilities. They have a very shallow draft (12 inches, not including the outboard), they get on plane at a very low speed. They are extremely fuel efficient, and relatively light at 4,800 lbs. on the trailer. The Cruisers are fully enclosed pilothouse boats with true all weather capability. Not offshore boats, but they can go where no other boats can go with the shallow draft, think rivers and lakes with a 2 mile offshore boundary. The Cruiser 25 has a marine head with shower.

http://www.c-dory.com/

Owners forum:

http://www.c-brats.com/

Couple that lived on their C-Dory and toured the USA:

http://www.geocities.com/bill_fiero/

2753873354_8a6a392f1d_o.jpg

2753861396_4c414803e6_o.jpg

2753029119_4efb5cf6f0_o.jpg

2753879932_38118a7241_o.jpg

Mickldo

Adventurer
Whatcharterboat couldn't find this thread so he posted a couple of pics for me in another thread. The photos can be found here....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=437114&postcount=69

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=437119&postcount=70

I mentioned earlier in the thread how I like the little barges. I have been giving this a lot of thought lately and I am leaning more towards one of the Specmar 6m Landing Barges.

As long as I can get a bike into the front for more exploration possibilities I'll be happy.

The Specmar Landing Barges have the same bottom sheets as our Platemaster Hulls so the performance should be the same.

In the photos John posted the big barge is sitting on the hard. The flat bottom is good for this but the ride would be shocking. Our hull has a 17 degree deadrise which gives a good ride but with our delta pad it can still sit on the hard. For those times where the boat needs extra stability on the hard I plan to add a couple of retractable stabiliser legs under the duckboard.

Mickldo

Adventurer
Here is an alternative Trailerable expedition boat; the C-Dory 25 cruiser.

They are not for everyone, they are relatively slow, and in the chop, you must slow down. But their deep V, entry combined with a flat bottom aft, gives them unique abilities. They have a very shallow draft (12 inches, not including the outboard), they get on plane at a very low speed. They are extremely fuel efficient, and relatively light at 4,800 lbs. on the trailer. The Cruisers are fully enclosed pilothouse boats with true all weather capability. Not offshore boats, but they can go where no other boats can go with the shallow draft, think rivers and lakes with a 2 mile offshore boundary. The Cruiser 25 has a marine head with shower.

http://www.c-dory.com/

Owners forum:

http://www.c-brats.com/

Couple that lived on their C-Dory and toured the USA:

http://www.geocities.com/bill_fiero/

<snip>

Thanks for the info David. They look like cool boats.

realdeal1

Help. Owner of Earthroamer XV?

Hi guys. Does anyone know who the owner of the Earthroamer XV with the C-Dory boat in tow might be? I am very curious as to how the combo is working out being the Earthroamer is such a good off road vehicle that can go just about anywhere. Thank-You. Louie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman