Trailernomics

James86004

Expedition Leader
For fun, I did some calculating the cost/benefits of our Starcraft Meteor tent trailer. Before we got it, we would camp in tents about 4 or 5 times a year, for an average of 3 nights. We also took several trips a year where we would stay in a hotel for a night or two.

After the first camping trip with our toddler when the weather turned incredibly foul, we decided to get a tent trailer. We got the smallest one we could find, so we could fit it down more trails. This was in 2002, there are a lot more options available today. It cost us $5000. Since then, we have put about $1000 in parts into it.

Since the camper means we are always packed for a trip, we have gone on far more trips. 98 trips so far (~14/year), with an average of a 3 night stay each time, so that works out to a little more than $20 per night. There is a little bit of a fuel economy hit when towing it, so it is perhaps $21 per night. The cost/night will continue to drop the more we use it, but I think this particular trailer is due for either replacement or a major overhaul.

We stay in hotels far less often now, so I think that overall, this has been a good investment. Plus, we have had camp spots with views that even the most expensive hotels lack.

Momrocks

Adventurer
For fun, I did some calculating the cost/benefits of our Starcraft Meteor tent trailer.

Outstanding! I love the term Trailernomics.

I too did a cost/benefit exercise to try to talk myself into buying one of the Conquerors when so many hit the market at fire sale prices. My numbers using my days afield over the past two years were not quite as favorable. I just couldn't justify the purchase for me and had to let the opportunity pass me by. I deliberately didn't factor in any value for resale, only usage for five years which certainly skewed results from probable reality.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
For some of us, you have to factor in storage costs. I pay about $100/ month. Still worth it though.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I was debating between "trailernomics" and "campernomics". My wife taught economics last month so economic terms have been floating around the house a lot recently.

$100 a month? We paid $10 a month at our storage unit in Flagstaff. Now we have a big enough lot to store it at home, along with too many other vehicles.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Trust me gents, if I could find covered storage close to my house for less ($10 would be awesome) I would do it.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
[drift]Careful what you wish for. The next thing you'll know you'll have 7 cars/trucks, 2 trailers, and a motorcycle in the yard or on the street in front of the house. Not that I know anything about such a situation......

Someone please buy my Sub!
[/drift]

The actual owner of the TrailBlazer (that I've been using) & I have arrived at a price. Soon it will be mine! I think it will be very worthwhile and I've already got a few mods in mind for it. First being a slide-out kitchen. My GF is all for spending the money and was the requester of the kitchen after seeing how Brad's Kimberly worked. I think that and a shower will divorce us from motels unless we choose to stay in one for whatever reason.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We used to hotel-it very often; our break even point for the Conqueror purchase and improvements is a mere 20 months. After that we're making money... ...sort of....
That's how it looks on the spreadsheet anyhow. :victory:

There are intangibles that have no price tag too.

100_3754.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior