Trailing Arm Air Suspension other than Cruisemaster XT?

rdrop

I have an ~2,200lb teardrop camper that we love, but the kitchen galley counter is pretty high. I've been thinking of swapping the Timbren suspension for another set that has a drop, but wasn't loving the idea of permanently losing the ground clearance. I saw that Bean Trailer now has an adjustable height air suspension option and it got me thinking that might be a better route. Lower it while on the highway to increase gas mileage, raise it off-road, lower it camp. I've found the Cruisemaster XT. Are their other options that I should take a look at?

bluejeep

just a guy
Well, this isn't what you're looking for, specifically I mean what mfg has a kit, because I made my own trailing arm airbag suspension for a trailer I built that I loaded my TJ on to pull with the Ram.

But, I will state that you're most likely going to absolutely love how it rides behind your tow vehicle. I know I did. Air up to haul the 2 ton vehicle, air down to ride empty. Smoothest towing trailer I have ever experienced in either load situation.

Oh and yes, nice to have the ability to change height. I used that so the back of the trailer rested on the ground for loading/unloading.

Here's a strong vote for going with airbags.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
@rdrop, having a kitchen galley too high is definitely a pain. You really want to make sure you have an ergonomic setup so you're not hunched over or on your tip toes. Nobody needs another excuse to go to the chiropractor.

How much ground clearance do you currently have on the trailer and how much do you have on your tow vehicle? Also, any chance you know what Axle-Less suspension you've got?

rdrop

Well, this isn't what you're looking for, specifically I mean what mfg has a kit, because I made my own trailing arm airbag suspension for a trailer I built that I loaded my TJ on to pull with the Ram.

But, I will state that you're most likely going to absolutely love how it rides behind your tow vehicle. I know I did. Air up to haul the 2 ton vehicle, air down to ride empty. Smoothest towing trailer I have ever experienced in either load situation.

Oh and yes, nice to have the ability to change height. I used that so the back of the trailer rested on the ground for loading/unloading.

Here's a strong vote for going with airbags.

Do you have any posts, etc. about your custom built solution? I'm not opposed to going down that path necessarily.

rdrop

@rdrop, having a kitchen galley too high is definitely a pain. You really want to make sure you have an ergonomic setup so you're not hunched over or on your tip toes. Nobody needs another excuse to go to the chiropractor.

How much ground clearance do you currently have on the trailer and how much do you have on your tow vehicle? Also, any chance you know what Axle-Less suspension you've got?

The teardrop has ~21" of clearance and is using Timbren ASR35HDS. My tow vehicle is an F-150 on 34's and is roughly 10". The current galley counter height is 41" and I wouldn't mind bring that down quite a bit.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
@rdrop, sounds like even if you drop the trailer by swapping out the outboard arms on your 3500 HD suspension you'll still have more ground clearance than your truck. Unfortunately, the part number you've provided isn't the full number, it's missing two digits at the end which signify the outboard arm and whether or not it's a 4" lift, 2" lift, etc. Here are two 4" drop options that you may want to consider but if you have a 4" lift this will drop your deck height by 8 inches -

Alloy

I use Timbren STI on my trailer. For me the ground clearance without a huge step into the trailer was the issue. With the air dumped the step is 8". The ride height is 2 1/2" above that and if needed offroad the trailer can be lifted another 2 1/2".

If there's a chance of freezing an air dryer is needed

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
Love to hear that our STi suspension is working out so well for you, @Alloy

Our STi air ride suspension is an option for you too @rdrop but ultimately you'll spend more on the product and the install. The more economical route for you is replacing the outboard arms on your existing Axle-Less suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater