Training for the TAT

Scott Brady

Founder
I am working hard to build me endurance and skills for three weeks of solid riding. Thousands of miles of dirt will take its toll on the bike and me, so I have been hitting the gym 3-4 times a week, working on strengthening of my back and upper body, principally with high-rep. movements like bench, triceps, shoulders, lats, etc. I feel better than I have in years. It is good to get moving again. The strength routine is being complimented with 3 days a week on the mtn. bike (thanks Christophe/Flounder). I feel like me endurance is ramping up quickly as well.

Lesson #1: You really do need to be in good shape and strong to toss a 500lb, 100hp dirt daemon around on the trails.

My first dirt ride was a typical Scotty maneuver, riding all alone to one of the most difficult trails in the area. I made it about half-way up, more out of luck than anything, then failed a rutted climb and needed to walk the bike backwards down the ditch, only for it to tip on its side after an overzealous push from my left leg.

So, I go to pick it up like all of my other dirt bikes - Oh no... So, it took nearly all of the strength in my 6'1" 225lb frame to lift that monster. I could have probably done it one or two more times, but after that, it would just need to lay there for while.

Lesson #2: The big adventure bikes are VERY hard to save once they start tipping to one side. And more importantly than that, they are REALLY hard to pick up once on their side.

Initial impressions of the KTM 950 is that it is a dream to ride on the road and on fast sections of trail and even over whoops, rocks and up big climbs. Where it falls short of traditional dirt bikes I have owned... Anytime the trail gets steep and loose. All that HP and weight has a real hard time keeping traction.

I need to raise the handlebar and put in a 15 tooth cog in the front.

Lesson #3 These adventure bikes are nowhere near low geared enough for their size (I understand that the BMW adventure has a nice low 1st gear), which means you need to keep the speed higher than you want, especially when going down hill.

The two-wheeled deliverer of death, looking all innocent before a big climb.
950_training.jpg

Lesson #4: Crash bars are a good thing. During a little "test" run, another member of the team tried to ride the 950 down my block. It ended up sliding down the block, but with hardly any damage because of the crash bars. Fortunately, the rider ended up with only a light scratch too.

Second trip: Brain and I met up at the Table Mesa exit. It was HOT.
950_training1.jpg

We started down the trail, which immediately became a struggle due to the recent grading. The trail surface was loose, like 10 million marbles had been strewed about the desert. I needed to have total control over the throttle to prevent spinning the rear tire. Overall, the 950 had a pretty easy time of the climbs, as I could ride the same section as Brian at 5-10 mph faster, because of the longer suspension travel and bigger wheels. The BMW worked hard on the climbs and Brian laid the bike on its side on the steepest climb of the day.

950_training2.jpg

VIDEO OF BRIAN ON THE CLIMB

Coming down the other side, I just could not get the 950 to slow down enough, and the trail surface was so torn up and loose, that the rear tire would easily lock and start to slide. Just lightly dragging the front brake would cause the front wheel to slide around. Coming around one really loose turn, I had to use a little front brake and the tire washed out, and down went the 950. Fortunately, I was going pretty slow and was able to step off the bike as it went down. Again, the crash bars saved the sparkly orange paint, and Brian helped me lift it. Then we had some small rock gardens and other climbs and both of us were feeling more confident. The 950 was getting a little hot, so I plan to add another fan (operated with a switch). the BMW had no trouble with the heat, though Brian was feeling the heat a little in the heavy BMW jacket.

Once we got on the wide dirt roads, we picked up the pace, and the 950 cooled down. Brian is a good rider in the mid-speed range and he kept a great pace. I found the standing position a little uncomfortable on the 950, so I plan to do an 18mm bar riser.

The entire ride, from door to door was just under 200 miles. The bike took 4.4 gallons of fuel to do that distance.

950_training2%20(1).jpg

In summary, the KTM 950 is as violent and fast in the dirt as a trophy truck, and as quick as a Ferrari on the street, however, it lacks the bonus of a roll-cage... Even with years of dirt bike experience and time riding a street bike, I am finding myself constantly correcting my riding to be safe. The machine is such a thrill (3.4 seconds 0-60), but utterly dangerous as well. So I ride as slow as possible on the road and conservative as possible on the trail too, with a little picture of Stephanie taped above the speedo...

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I love it!!!

I've seen folks on AdvRider buy a KTM 950, ride it home; scare the heck out of themselves, park it and sell it....you are the man for going the orange route! :bowdown:

Even with the low gear on the GS Adventure, steep, loose surfaces are tough on the big bikes. I've got quite a few dents and scars in the panniers from just such a route in Mexico...

Can't wait to see the KTM in person!

:bike_rider:

-H-

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Yup - That's why my 2-wheeled toy spends most of its time in the garage these days. That "picture in my head" of my wife and kids keeps me pretty honest and safe these days.

That bike sounds like a blast to ride on pavement and packed dirt roads. The video is cool, but I'm surprised that such a heavy bike would kick around that much (or was he trying to bounce it around?).

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I feel like I just lived the ride with you! :Wow1:
Be careful and have fun!!!!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I Love It............!

............now I want one!:roost:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Scott,

I have not had the chance to take mine off-road yet (except for a short distance on a fire trail).
However I am riding it everyday since I got it, so I am starting to get a good feel of the bike.

I would add the following comments:

-It took me some time to get used to the bike. The combination of weight/power/height/etc does not make it a beginner bike for sure…
At first it’s very intimidating, but eventually you start feeling it and are taking control. But the first days, I can honestly say that the bike was in charge, not me.

-It has a lot of power but across a wide RPM range (up to 10K) – I rarely go over 5000-6000 rpm.

-I am 5’8 and 160 pounds – so I am also training as much as I can….

-Wheelies are fun.

-The bike runs hot. Even here in San Francisco, on a sunny days you can feel the heat coming from everywhere under you. Add my girlfriend in the back, stop and go in traffic, my black suit and my black KTM feels more like a sauna.

-My gas mileage sucks. The best I got on a tank is 120 miles – far from your 200 miles. I have to do a tune-up on it - I think the jets/needle are off. Funny thing is that my coworker has the same bike (in Orange) and we both get bad mpg. I think commuting in SF Hills does not help....

-I love riding it. On the road, it’s very stable. Crossing the Bay Bridge in the wind with all the traffic, I wouldn’t want anything smaller. I never get tired of riding it.

-I dropped it once. In front of my house – and my neighbor. I was stopped and it was very slow, so no damages at all.
However, as you said it’s heavy to lift and I would not want to do it several times in the desert – I have no idea how these Dakar guys are doing it.
Whoever says they never dropped their Adventure are not riding them...or are experts...

:)

-It's a bit high-maintenance...special oil, premium fuel, expensive spare parts...

But let’s put it this way – my commute has never been so much fun!!!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Im sure you have done your research and know the Colorado portion of the TAT is one of the toughest due to all the climbs. Some of the trails you have more then likely done in a vehicle easily but with water run off ruts and loose terrain will add a whole new challenge on a bike. You guys will have your work cut out for you on heavy bikes to start with but dont forget the dynamic will change once gear is added. Getting comfortable on hill climbs would be a priority one to a safe and fun trip. Just like in a vehicle needing to restart in the middle of an assent of hill is not easy and it really sucks on a bike.

With a motorcross and offroad racing background my first dual sport was an XR650L, that I hated it due to its weight. Now the XR is fun to ride off-road compared to my BMW Dakar. I used the MSF Off road training course . to get my legs back under me on heavier bikes. I'm sure you will find it helpful.

Have a safe trip.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Coming down the other side, I just could not get the 950 to slow down enough, and the trail surface was so torn up and loose, that the rear tire would easily lock and start to slide. Just lightly dragging the front brake would cause the front wheel to slide around.
950_training2%20(1).jpg

Have you tried going on any downhills in neutral, first? It's amazing how easy it is on you and the bike if you let the suspension work and you just RELAX and enjoy the ride. Start off with some steep, but non technical hills and then build up to some with whoops. Next thing you know, you will be throttling down them.

It goes without saying, but, riding on surfaces with less co-efficiency of friction i.e. marbles is much more different than riding on the pavement with a high surface co-efficiency. Use your front brake sparingly.

Do I see an Overland Journal review of BMW's Dirt School coming up?:sombrero:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Personally, I wouldn't take a 950 on the TAT- too heavy on it's own, add 50lbs of gear and it's a mess. I did a lot of research on the TAT last year and it seemed like most guys doing the full length were riding 650cc and below thumpers. I'm sure there are a number of big twins that have made the trek but I'll bet most were piloted by highly experienced riders. FWIW- When I owned my '05 ADV I was still training 5 days/week for Brazilian JiuJitsu competitions. My cardio and core-strength were exceptional. I also rode a lot. Even in that condition, after a few hours with the 950 in technical terrain, I would be absolutely gassed. I don't even bother with those types of trails on my GS. Just .02 from a guy who wishes he was going on the trip. Be safe!

Scott Brady

Founder
HMR said:
Personally, I wouldn't take a 950 on the TAT- too heavy on it's own, add 50lbs of gear and it's a mess.

Well, in about three weeks, we will find out if I can make it to the end, or if the bike and/or me will break in the process. All part of the adventure - fortunately, this is not my first rodeo :roost:

Scott Brady

Founder
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
Have you tried going on any downhills in neutral, first?

Yeah, that is what I ended up doing the rest of the day. It worked much better. I am going to fit a 15 sprocket and that should help a bit.

Normally, I always try to ride with a bit of momentum, but this particular section of road was an absolute death luge.

The idle was also running high because of the drop in altitude from Prescott, which added more insult to injury.

I am doing another 5-6 hour ride on Thursday with Andrew and his 1150 ADV. Really looking forward to it.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
expeditionswest said:
Well, in about three weeks, we will find out if I can make it to the end, or if the bike and/or me will break in the process. All part of the adventure - fortunately, this is not my first rodeo :roost:
Good luck. Have fun. Looking forward to the ride report.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
wait...I am confused

Scott, are-you doing the whole TAT or only a section?

It's on my list of things to do one day.

I am sure you will have a blast!!!! Can't wait for the report.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
We will be picking the trail up in Colorado, roughly where it crosses I-25, then heading west.

The 950 is a lot of bike, but in some instances it will be better suited than my 650GS. It has 30% more suspension travel than the little BMW, a couple more inches between the belly and the ground, a taller/narrower front tire, etc.

On the other hand, the BMW is lighter (yea, never thought I would say that....), lower CoG (easier to pick up), better fuel economy (200+ miles off road is quite realistic), etc.

Overall, I think the 950 is a better fit for Scott, and the 650GS is a better fit for me. I would not take the 950 through the TAT...it is to big of a bike for me to wrestle around with for 3 weeks. On the other hand, the 650GS is a bit on the small side for Scott. Power wise, he would be fine, but the peg to bar height is pretty short, seat height is low....they just aren't that great for tall riders. Even with my short inseam (30"), I had to raise the bars 35mm, then rotate them up as far as I could in order to get a decent standing position.

No matter how you slice it, this will be an adventure...

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
expeditionswest said:
Yeah, that is what I ended up doing the rest of the day. It worked much better. I am going to fit a 15 sprocket and that should help a bit.

Normally, I always try to ride with a bit of momentum, but this particular section of road was an absolute death luge.

I spend quite a bit of time rolling down hills with the bike in 1st gear, clutch in, riding the rear brake to control speed. There really wasn't much choice in that section of road....sharp (90*+) corner at the bottom, loose, rocky.....I came down that slower than the bike would idle in 1st gear. Being able to balance the bike is critical in that situation, momentum isn't your friend coming into that corner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12