Training for the TAT

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
expeditionswest said:
I am doing another 5-6 hour ride on Thursday with Andrew and his 1150 ADV. Really looking forward to it.

I just hope I can keep up with that KTM rocket!

-H-

Scott Brady

Founder
Kicking up the training...

Tomorrow, Andrew and I will be riding the old Senator Highway to Crown King, and then dirt to Cleator and then more dirt up to Mayer. Then, a couple hours in the office, and 4+ hours of pavement and dirt to Hurricane Lake and the Adventure Trailers event.

Saturday, I ride 4+ hours back to Prescott and then spend the rest of the day with Hillsamer! I am stoked about that. Tim seems like a great guy, very helpful so far. Tim is going to help me with throttle control and slow speed handling.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Good deal Scott.

It looks like my training is about done...

The little GS is down at Iron Horse waiting to get the neutral switch replaced...it should come home Friday before Marisa and I head to Bullhead City for a weekend on the river with Game and Fish.

Next week, along with building a fence around Marisa's new house (she closes on Monday), the GS will get new tires, tubes, a 15 tooth counter sprocket, some peg modifications, softer springs in the forks (maybe with some damping adjustments as well) minor tweaks here and there, and that is about it.

The new helmet should be on the way, as well as some small bits of riding gear (new gloves, base layer, etc).

We're getting close!

:bike_rider:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
A few pictures for this thread...

A run down in the Santa Cruz mountain last weekend with my buddy's Mark and his R1100R

large.jpg

My coworker Bing's Orange 950...

large.jpg

My friend got this extractor to help removing the front wheel - it stays in place and help removing the axle.

large.jpg

I got some KTM Racing carbon fiber protectors for the tank (will get crash bar too)

large.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Ride #2

On Thursday morning, I met up with Andrew at the casita and hit the trail to Crown King. A stunning and really fun route.
950_training2%20(10).jpg

950_training2%20(11).jpg

950_training2%20(12).jpg

950_training2%20(13).jpg

950_training2%20(14).jpg

950_training2%20(7).jpg

950_training2%20(9).jpg

950_training2%20(6).jpg

950_training2%20(5).jpg

It was an awesome day. Andrew is a great rider and an awesome guy to travel with. Mellow and competent. Couldn't ask for more.

The trail was moderate for the most part, with a few loose climbs to keep it interesting.

Overall, the KTM did great, and I even had a few mild jumps over water bars. That bike has so much to give on the performance side. Comfort could stand to be improved, but still worlds ahead of a standard dirt bike.

Andrew was kind enough to let me ride the 1150 ADV. What an amazing machine, but such a stark contrast to the KTM. They are so much more different than similar. Everything about the BMW is smooth, quiet, comfortable and composed. The engine is quiet and with a wide torque band. The seat is more comfortable than my office chair. Brakes are smooth and powerful and no fork plunge. The low-gear first keeps things controlled. I could easily see swinging a leg over the 1150 and riding 1,000 miles in a day.

A fun, fun trip!

I have a few more rides to report on next... coming soon!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
You're lucky I gave the KTM back to you! Wow...what a machine! It's like the little devil over your shoulder telling you to go faster....faster....faster....

Suspension is amazing on dirt, and with all 100hp available with a quick crack of the throttle....

Excellent ride! Right now the town of Crown King has been evacuated because of a fire....hopefully these won't be the last pictures of the little town.

-H-

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Nice. :jumping:

My bike is back at home. New fork springs last night, new countershaft sprocket, peg relocation, and wind screen mods tonight.

New tires & tubes and a new set of brake pads early in the week, and off we go....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12