Trans America Trail: A month's journey in a 96 Jeep XJ.

ylojelo

Nice read. I'd love to do this as well, in my JKU (although its pretty and I'd have to get over the thought of it getting scratched :littlefriend: :safari-rig: ) Somewhere there is a trail map of the TAT going from NYC to TN. I hope to use the VA section as a trial run. Ill need a winch, to wheel alone. What often equipment did you find necessary ?

Zeiderman

Adventurer
On page 4 so far and very motivated, especially in the MS and surrounding parts since I live there. I have a 96 Cherokee as well, do you by any chance have a build page on yours.

Thank you.

NHenson

Observer
Nice read. I'd love to do this as well, in my JKU (although its pretty and I'd have to get over the thought of it getting scratched :littlefriend: :safari-rig: ) Somewhere there is a trail map of the TAT going from NYC to TN. I hope to use the VA section as a trial run. Ill need a winch, to wheel alone. What often equipment did you find necessary ?

I would be interested in how someone found much public land to travel on from NYC to TN. It is probably a lot of beautiful country roads and nothing to miss out on (I would do it if for nothing other than seeing more of the country).

Equipment:

Water - we packed our water in 10L MSR Dromedary bags. Approx 1 gal per person per day. When you top off your gas, also top off your water (you never know when you will need it).

Carry the essential stuff to repair a tire and maybe a part or two if you know it is something that goes bad on your vehicle regularly. Pack a small tool kit, duct tape, baling wire, and zip ties. Carry spare gasoline. Read on www.transamtrail.com for what to expect for distance between gas stations. I would always keep a 5 gal can full and have another one to fill on the longer stretches. Really maintain your vehicle before you go and keep a close eye on it as you travel.

A winch is a great tool for self recovery and clearing stuff off the trail. If you have a small chainsaw, maybe bring it, but definitely an axe and shovel.

Pack a useful and familiar first aid kit.

Bring a backpack that you can toss some basic shelter, food, and water in for a bail-out bag (who knows when you might have to hike 20-50 miles).

Bring communication (cell phone signal can be found if you search long enough for it, ham radio (if licensed), small handhelds might be nice in emergency situations, and of course a sat phone would be helpful, but not in my budget).

Don't bring stuff that you never use or are uncomfortable using. Pack like a backpacker (with a little fancier food) and you will be pretty happy.

Im also thinking of a RTT of some kind

I have loved my RTT for everything except really high wind.

On page 4 so far and very motivated, especially in the MS and surrounding parts since I live there. I have a 96 Cherokee as well, do you by any chance have a build page on yours. Thank you.

I don't have a writeup on the Jeep, however, here is a list and some great resources for getting you going.

ARB bull bar w/6000 lb Warn winch (it really is all the winch I have ever needed for this rig).

3" Heavy spring rate Rusty's lift kit.

31x10.50

Tom Woods SYE for the NP242 along with a TW double cardan drive shaft for the rear.

4.10 gears

Lock-Right locker in the front.

JKS disconnects

Rustys:
T-case skid
Engine skid
Front skid
Dif gaurds
Rock rails

custom4x4fabrication.com - rear bumper w/tire carrier

You can visit my website and see how we did it on our first trailer (for an idea of how to build a galley). http://www.overlandtrailer.com/home/galley/ Basically, just make a plywood or steel frame (depending on your woodworking/welding skills) and then attach 100-150lb ball-bearing slides and build a shelf for whatever you want to slide out. I made it all out of 1x1x1/16" steel tubing for the back of the Jeep and welded it together. But you could make a similar system out of plywood walls and then attach slides to that. There are a lot more options to building and you will find them here on Expedition Portal in an abundance.

I formed and welded my own roof rack, also lots of build threads on this sort of thing here.

I have air suspension help in the back. The best write up that I have found on this is http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoAirbagSuspension.htm You really should check it out (along with a lot of the rest of the site).

Keep asking questions. I love talking about the trail and being ready to do it. Just remember, preparation is important, but can also be addicting. Make sure you start travelling at some point and you will learn how to prepare better.

Last edited:

Zeiderman

Adventurer
Thank you for the reply on the build, seems very practical which is what I'm after versus all the bling I see a lot of. The South portion of MS is only about 4 hours away, so I definitely need to check this out.

Thank you

NHenson

Observer
Thank you for the reply on the build, seems very practical which is what I'm after versus all the bling I see a lot of. The South portion of MS is only about 4 hours away, so I definitely need to check this out.

Thank you

Well... I just spent a very enjoyable hour reading this thread. Thanks for sharing your journey!

I'm glad that ya'll enjoy reading the posts. We had a great time on the trail and hope that more people will be comfortable taking on longer journeys. I got to see things that I only dreamed about when reading other people's threads and also learned a lot more about my lovely travel partner (EH).

nr1215

Great read, thanks a ton for the descriptions and pics. I am confident that pics dont do any justice. We recently drove from Reno NV to Dallas, mainly taking off road drives and camping thru death valley and Grand canyon and I have to admit, there are no words to describe it.

Kudos on the great adventure.

Congrats again.

DesertXJ

Observer
Nice read, and thanks for posting it. I have to also admire your tenacity to do this over 4 yrs. my buddy and I are talking about doing part of it, I live in Richfield, Ut a town you went through, so it's a great jump on point for me and he lives in Ely, NV. So he could meet me in NV...somewhere.

NHenson

Observer
Great read, thanks a ton for the descriptions and pics. I am confident that pics dont do any justice. We recently drove from Reno NV to Dallas, mainly taking off road drives and camping thru death valley and Grand canyon and I have to admit, there are no words to describe it.

Kudos on the great adventure.

Congrats again.

Nice read, and thanks for posting it. I have to also admire your tenacity to do this over 4 yrs. my buddy and I are talking about doing part of it, I live in Richfield, Ut a town you went through, so it's a great jump on point for me and he lives in Ely, NV. So he could meet me in NV...somewhere.

Thanks for the comments guys.

nr1215: You're right, the photos don't do it justice, especially the sunsets over the desert.

DesertXJ: Colorado, Utah, and Nevada offered some great variety of trail. You should definitely make the time to get out and travel the TAT.

nr1215

Thanks Nate, we are planning a 10 day trip on the trail. would u have any recommendation which leg should we hit (shooting for spring/summer 2016)?

NHenson

Observer
Thanks Nate, we are planning a 10 day trip on the trail. would u have any recommendation which leg should we hit (shooting for spring/summer 2016)?

I think that the season and temperatures are going to be a defining characteristic for what you can and cannot do. If you are late spring, early summer then I would try for some of the lower elevation sections (Nevada, Oregon, Tennessee, Arkansas, etc.) If you go mid to late summer, then Colorado/Utah would be a great place to be.

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
I just stumbled on this thread and read the whole thing. Very nice, thanks for taking the time to post it up, it was an enjoyable read.

justjoshnya

I joined expadition portal just to comment about this thread. I raise my glass and tip my hat. Absolutely amazing adventure and I thank you guys for letting me explore vicaressley threw you. I have always wanted to do this trail in my 2000 xj and could never fathom getting that amount of time off work but I could definitely split it up as you did. Thank you both again.

I have really enjoyed reading this whole trip report. I have planned on doing the TAT for several years and even bought a brand new dual sport to do it with. Money and a woman changed those plans. I then planned on doing it in my Tacoma after we were married but sadly the Tacoma will be for sell soon as I just bought a E350 van.

I wanted to ask what sections you thought were possible in a 2wd regular body van that will have 33" all terrains and a rear locker? Semi competent driver but that is probably stretching it a bit.

I know some of Tennessee and Arkansas will be out due to being too tight and obviously a good portion of Colorado in the San Juans and some areas of Utah around I-70. It seems that most of the rest of the trail is pretty tame. What do you think?

The reason I ask is that my wife and I are planning a 4-6 month road trip and I would like to incorporate some of the TAT in the route.

Thanks for any info!

Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior