Trans-America Trail

Viggen

Just here...
The majority of the trail from NC East is just dirt roads. There aren't many true trails until you get to Mississippi and then again in Colorado. A great deal of the trek are county roads and country roads.

My wife and I were watching Lenos Garage and watched the episode they did on this with the LR4s. She wants to do it as a family outing. We figure that the hardest part will be around the Rockies. Would love to break off in Colorado and visit my sister in Salida for a bit and then get back on the trail. Is the GPS track available from GPSKevin the same route?

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
My wife and I were watching Lenos Garage and watched the episode they did on this with the LR4s. She wants to do it as a family outing. We figure that the hardest part will be around the Rockies. Would love to break off in Colorado and visit my sister in Salida for a bit and then get back on the trail. Is the GPS track available from GPSKevin the same route?

No it's not.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
One COULD follow the arrow and pink line on a screen, or one could actually get out and see the world.

If your trying to do an all dirt crossing of the USA having that modified route could be nice.

There are some stretches in this trip where if you got turned around or had to backtrack too many times you might be pushing your fuel capacity.

Having a map and a planned route isn't always a bad thing....

CodyY

Explorer
I've done a fair bit of DS riding in Colorado, and while I agree, anything you can take a fullsize rig through, is on a readily availiable map. So connecting the dots between the "bike only" sections is not going to be difficult.

Of course, the pre-planning of routes is half the fun for me. And getting lost is the other half.

Viggen

Just here...
One COULD follow the arrow and pink line on a screen, or one could actually get out and see the world.

Save the platitudes. When you have a wife, dog, and child in a truck with you, no matter how much they might be interested in the trip, multiple back tracks will quickly kill the will to move forward. Knowing that this line on a map will allow me to fit my midsize down without too many issues is what I am looking for. I am going to download the GPS track and see what it looks like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior