Trans cooler

Yoadrian

I'm looking to add a trans cooler to my 01 4Runner. But I will be bypassing the radiator. I'm hoping to avoid the "pink milkshake". Seems like most everybody either goes with the Hayden 678 or the B&M 70268. My question is, the B&M says it has a low temp bypass. Is that really a necessary feature to have? The Hayden doesn't say whether it has one or not. I'm guessing it doesn't because there is a thermostat you can buy as an add on. Thoughts, ideas, comments. Thanks!

Last edited:

paranoid56

Adventurer
i am keeping my in rad one, but adding a large one also. I dont think you need the low temp bypass, its nice, but where we live i dont think you need it.

devero4

Adventurer
I put a Hayden "tube & fin" style cooler in my 99 Runner a few months. I also bypassed the radiator. You live in a climate that stays fairly warm year round, if you were in a very cold climate I guess the bypass would be a goo idea, but I don't think you'll really benefit from it much. Just my $0.02.

aontkos

I went with the Hayden 679 on mine since I live in Florida and the temperatures are consistently warm. In my opinion you might as well go with the largest one you can since transmissions do not like high temperatures. I don't believe the Hayden has the low temperature bypass, but I'm not sure how beneficial that is unless you live somewhere where ambient temperatures are consistently very low.

I wish I had a way to monitor my transmission temps, but I have not purchased an bluetooth OBDII reader or installed a temperature gauge. I will probably do this once summer rolls around so I can ensure the 679 is doing its job in "stop and go" traffic.

I also did this to avoid the "pink milkshake" scares that seem to plague the 3rd gen club. I also plan to replace my radiator prior to this summer, which would have resolved that issue anyway, but why risk it?

ramonortiz55

Adventurer
I have heard of some people using the TUNDRA or Tacoma offroad OEM transmission cooler. They are of similar size, but of course, want to keep it OEM.

Another reason theyd go with a TUNDRA cooler would be because if the cooler can handle a TUNDRA transmission temperature, then its a given it would handle a 3rd gen 4runner transmission temps.

paranoid56

Adventurer
i can say that your temps will be super high with stock gearing and 33s on a taco :D i added a nice gauge on the pre cooler side and when hitting hills i see 260. way to hot, so i end up changing my fluid a lot. adding the cooler will be a bandaid till i get the gears.

keezer37

Explorer
I went with the Hayden 679 on mine since I live in Florida and the temperatures are consistently warm. In my opinion you might as well go with the largest one you can since transmissions do not like high temperatures. I don't believe the Hayden has the low temperature bypass, but I'm not sure how beneficial that is unless you live somewhere where ambient temperatures are consistently very low.

I wish I had a way to monitor my transmission temps, but I have not purchased an bluetooth OBDII reader or installed a temperature gauge. I will probably do this once summer rolls around so I can ensure the 679 is doing its job in "stop and go" traffic.

I also did this to avoid the "pink milkshake" scares that seem to plague the 3rd gen club. I also plan to replace my radiator prior to this summer, which would have resolved that issue anyway, but why risk it?
You may get very different temp readings between these two. I have a gauge with it's sensor in the rubber portion of the trans line in front of the motor. While it accurately reflects the temp of the fluid in the pan to within a couple degrees, it does not correspond with readings of the OE sensor(s). For this reason I would say a gauge is worthless as I would be much more concerned with the temp of the trans where the Toyota engineers saw fit to take it.
I have the Hayden bypass. It's been working fine for about seven years now. Know, it does not stop the flow of fluid to the cooler but gives it a less restrictive path at lower temps.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
I used b&m trans cooler and my radiator cracked 3 days after I did the swap. So whichever you choose to do, do it ASAP. Also please inspect your lower ball joints. As a safety you should replace them every 100k with oem parts.

refried

Adventurer
I have a big tube/fin style in my truck (3.8 Buick engine, Turbo 350 tranny) along with a plate style for an oil cooler, The transmission stays about 175* and engine oil about 195*, Water temp stays below 195* with a 195 thermostat. I've been very happy with both the Hayden tube cooler and the B&M plate coolers and recommend them both. Keeping transmission temps under 200* will greatly extend it's life.

bkg

Explorer
You may get very different temp readings between these two. I have a gauge with it's sensor in the rubber portion of the trans line in front of the motor. While it accurately reflects the temp of the fluid in the pan to within a couple degrees, it does not correspond with readings of the OE sensor(s). For this reason I would say a gauge is worthless as I would be much more concerned with the temp of the trans where the Toyota engineers saw fit to take it.
I have the Hayden bypass. It's been working fine for about seven years now. Know, it does not stop the flow of fluid to the cooler but gives it a less restrictive path at lower temps.

Yes, no, maybe... I run both and use both to inform me.... Sometimes I trust the gauge, sometimes I trust the scangauge. My temp,gauge is currently just before the radiator, so I know it's not accurately telling me the pan temp.... Hence the reason to use both for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998