Transalpers ?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
How many Transalp riders do we have? I have an old 89 with 10K, short and tall windshiled, rack, lights, body is in nice shape and a Corbin seat. Thinking about heated grips, but not sure about the stator output.

And, wish I could get disc brake on the rear, but the old drum really is sufficient.

No real long rides yet, but have a crusier for that. :bike_rider:

kai38

Explorer
How many Transalp riders do we have? I have an old 89 with 10K, short and tall windshiled, rack, lights, body is in nice shape and a Corbin seat. Thinking about heated grips, but not sure about the stator output.

And, wish I could get disc brake on the rear, but the old drum really is sufficient.

No real long rides yet, but have a crusier for that. :bike_rider:

Nice bikes, I just sold mine. Rode awesome for an older bike but I could not keep it up right riding in the dirt, thought I should sell it before hurting my self or the bike. Looking to get a street cruiser again Looking for a Honda St1100.
127029579.FYEAj8sg.jpg

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
That really is a super nice looking bike, but I have to confess being shocked that so many people like them and pay SO much for them, given their age.

If I may ask, how can one justify paying so much for a twenty five year old bike? On that line how do you source parts for it when needed?

Sorry, not trying to put you down at all, so I hope it did not come off that way, but honestly wondering about these bikes. Again, I love the bikes, and I wish they still made them...

Thanks

HiLift Jack

Adventurer
I own one

and love it. To the parts question, it is a HONDA, you need parts about every 10 years. Dealers stocked parts up until 3 years ago and commonality is the name of the game with Japanese manufacturers. The engines are so smooth I am thinking about building an aggressive dual sport frame around the twin.

Juan,

How about a photo

363389850_HTUUX-L.jpg

1157286071_ZVwuf-L.jpg

1157286361_GMnSG-L.jpg

1157286950_UQpNQ-L.jpg

1157287238_h5Yh4-L.jpg

1157287867_8tzoe-L.jpg

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
:bike_rider:LOL, had the same question before I bought mine. Parts are not a problem as the dealer can get anything I need, but the body parts are not available, so care needs to be used or a repair kit!

I bought mine because of the V twin and based on what I read, bullet proof, I trusted the record of these bikes. I had an XR 650L. And thought it would be about the same with a body.....worng!

The Transalp is a far better bike, IMO. It is heavier and for dual sport touring it rides alot better than the XR. I use to ride my XR over a hundred miles to the lake and on the highway in windy conditions could find myself in another lane quickly. Not so with the TA.

The XR was winding out at 70 mph, the TA cruises at 70 and has power to pass. The TA has more torque. I have had many bikes and never had one that started as quickly as this old bike, tap the starter button and it's running. It just feels solid. I rode a Tiger, that's a big bike and the TA has the solid feel and ride, but much lighter and manuverable, at least for me and with a 32 inch inseam, my feet are on the ground.

There is a draw back that I'd like to solve, that's the rear drum brake, it's not a disc but I got use to it and I use the front brake alot. If you really use a front brake like I do, it's not that big a deal, but I have never had to slam it on.

Mine looks like the one above, about the same condition, a few small scratches, but a few feet away you don't see them. I have a newer Corbin seat that is a good saddle, probably not as hard as the stock seat, don't really know, but it's alot nicer than the XR seat I had.

Mine has two windshields, shorty and tall, one is cloudy the other is pretty clear, thinking about smoking them anyway. Got a couple new driving lights that go to the BMW 650.

They are pricey for an old bike granted, but I doubt I could replace it for what it is with the same money. Mine has about 10,000+ miles. I ride with some Beemers and there is no problem keeping up with them. If I get the need for speed, I'll take my 1600 Vulcan! :bike_rider:

Last edited:

Bombsquad

89 ta

0e007d47.jpg

cee7a2f5.jpg

Click image below for a short vid.

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc183/rendersafe/?action=view&current=b137a871.mp4] [/URL]

Here is my 89. I have 32,000 mi on it and ride it daily. I have owned a lot of motorcycles in the 29 years I have been riding on the street and have found that the Transalp is without a doubt the best all around motorcycle I have ridden.
It doesn't do anything great but it does everything well. That is where the beauty lies with this bike. The bike is ridden 2 up on the interstate, goes well in the twisties, soaks up forest service roads and takes me to remote camping sites on single track trails. I own more specialized bikes, sport tourers, supermotards, etc, but if I have no specific agenda, the Transalp gets the nod since it can do a bit of everything. They are well worth the asking price.

Cheers,

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Very nice pics and video guys, thanks are there any more? :bike_rider:

The thing about the price too is that I don't know of anything for that kind of money that would really replace the functionality of the bike. I can run down the highway all day at 70+ without being blown into the other lane and hit the forest roads or run down to the lake. I don't know why mine starts so quickly every time, but it does. Tap the starter and it's running! I was very leary of it when I got it about it's dependability, but I have as much confidence in it now as any bike I've ever riden. I know it might sound strange to many to be on a bike so old, but I would take it anywhere and I can't say that for my 1600 Vulcan, not that there is anything wrong with it, but I would not ride it to Canada.

The local BMW club accepts my Transalp as an adventure dual sport and I have ridden with them, not sure what that means, but beemer guys are particular (use to be one, lol).

There has to be more of you out there....

Bombsquad

8c89e2c0.jpg

6fe941a2.jpg

Here are a couple from todays ride to the Tallulah River in northeast Georgia, USA.

You are not alone in the starting characteristics of this bike. I do not even get the starter button fully depressed and it fires up.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, I just get on and think about starting and it revs up! LOL!

Not really, But I know what you mean, I don't know why it starts like that as I have never had a gas engine do that, I guess it's the ignition system, must be really hot.

Nice pics! I need to take some of my bike and try to get them loaded....

Any others???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior