Transfer case shifting question.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Quick G-question.

I understand its possible to shift the G-wagen transfer case on the move from low-high or high-low. How do you do this with an automatic....or what does the manual say? Do you just grab neutral for a second?

Thanks.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Is there a lever shift version of the all wheel drive capable transfer case?

As I understand it you can have a part time or full time version?

There are two different types of transfer boxes.

The first one build from 1979 to about year 2000. It is in the W460 and W461 trucks and are with the part time 4wd.
Standart driving mode is rear wheel drive and you shift it to 4wd Hi and Low (4 Strasse and 4 Gelände)
There is no differencial in that box, so 4wd should be used on a low-traction surface only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YShm9NKRU4M

Second style transfer box is permanent 4 wheel drive. Used in W463 on all models and in W461 from about 2001 and onwards.
It has a differencial to allow 4wd during ordinary driving conditions. You can select 4 Hi and 4 low. It has a 100% differencial lock you can activate to distribute the force evenly to the front and rear axels. Obviously when you activate that lock, the same conditions apply as the earlier style boxes - to be used on low-traction surface only.
This box can not be used in a 2wd mode.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I find that the c-case shift easily from H to L even at about 5mph. I expect that feature would be useful in mud and snow, where maintaining momentum would be an advantage.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I find that the c-case shift easily from H to L even at about 5mph. I expect that feature would be useful in mud and snow, where maintaining momentum would be an advantage.

absolutely. i had that issue gettin up my back alley in pgh after the 30+ inches came down. it gets steep and tight back there. i screwed the situation up royally when i stopped.

Mike Serpe

Observer
Transfer Case VG80

maintaining momentum would be an advantage.

exactly the idea the engineers worked for a long time on to solve for this special t-case which actually revolutionized 4wd in the 70s

The test mules were always getting stuck when they came to a stop and tried to then get going again in the mud....so engineers were asked not to solve it so much from not getting going again.....but to keep it from stopping!

6 km/h is supposed to be the optimum shift speed

but close is close enough it seems. Goes easier from G back to SA than from SA into G

S is Strasse (street) which is 2wd h
SA Strasse Alle (all) which is part time 4wd High
G is Gelande (cross-country) which is part time 4wd Low 2:1 reduction

Attachments

• center console sm copy.JPG
    center console sm copy.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 32
  • driver side exterior.JPG
    driver side exterior.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 29

HL230P30

And the fun part is that SA Strasse Allrad (Street All-wheels) is not supposed to be used in the "streets", the old 460 version transfer case VG80 got no differantial, though it is syncronized.

This means it is not part-time 4-wheel drive. With the original diff-locks engaged the hole driveline is locked, it get hard steering. So be careful with the SA and GA.

4x4abc

Adventurer
all VG 080 transfer cases (all 460 series from 1979 to 1990, all 461 series from 1979 to present) are part time 4WD.
4WD can only be used part of the time (off-road etc) most of the time (pavement) it will have to stay in 2WD. Has been the definition for part time 4WD for a very long time.

Here is more:
all 4WD systems on one page

here is more about S - SA - GA

and more about when to engage the diff locks

HL230P30

all VG 080 transfer cases (all 460 series from 1979 to 1990, all 461 series from 1979 to present) are part time 4WD.

That might be your or som strange US-definition? Did Steyr-Daimler Puch ever call any of ther geländewagen "part-time 4WD" or anything similar in german? The case is when the transfer case is in SA or GA you have four wheel drive with equal amount of torque to all axels, there's no braking or electronics or viscous/hydraulic couplings that engage or disengage the torque to part-time operations, it is all four wheel drive!

4x4abc

Adventurer
glad you asked my friend, HL230P30 (cute name!), part time 4WD in German would be "zuschaltbarer Allradantrieb" - full time 4WD (that would be the 463 G-Class) is "permanenter Allradantrieb".

Really sorry to tell you that part time 4WD does not necessarily distribute equal torque to front and rear axles - especially not when off-road. Part time 4WD would only distribute torque equally when both axles have equal traction (rarely the case when off-road).

Here is the internationally accepted definition for all 4 different 4WD systems (part time, full time [or permanent], AWD and automatic AWD [torque on demand]):
http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/4WD-AWD-autoAWD.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998