Transfer Flow developing larger GASOLINE tank (factory-replacement) for RAM 2500/3500 CC Short Bed

IMPROVED MILEAGE / RANGE is the works!

The project has only recently been officially initiated, but here’s what I’ve learned from Transfer Flow so far:

Tank will be developed for the CCSB 2500/3500. This is where most of the demand currently lies.

Availability date is difficult to predict, given the development, testing, CARB certification, etc. Ballpark guidance from Transfer Flow is that “gasoline projects usually take six months to 1 year to complete.”

Capacity is also unknown at this point. In general, the company likes to “shoot for about double the capacity”, but of course they are limited by the available space forward/aft of the OEM tank. As a point of reference, Titan’s replacement tank for the RAM CCSB DIESEL has 52G capacity, also vs 31G OEM. So, my guess is we see something in the ballpark of 50G, which maybe adds 200 miles of range for those of us hauling heavy campers and getting around 10 MPG.

Loss of clearance (breakover angle) is expected be minimal. TF says their tanks usually don’t hang below the level of the OEM skid plate. If I understood correctly, this means the bottom of the tank may hang 0.75” to 1” below OEM tank. Because the tank will be made of steel (specifically, powder-coated aluminized steel), Transfer Flow says no skid plate is necessary. TF told me they’ve not had issues with tank damage due to scraping of the tank. Clearance/breakover is an important issue for me, so I will be watching this closely.

I know nothing about planned pricing at this point. But, I do know that Transfer Flow has a steel replacement tank available for the F250/350 short-bed crew-cab. It is 58G (vs OEM of 36G) and sells for $2,730.
https://www.transferflow.com/58-gallon-ford-midship-replacement-fuel-tank

====================

I will add more details to this thread as I learn them.

====================

PS While I expect that this project will result in Transfer Flow bringing a tank to market, there is no guarantee. I think it would be helpful to let Transfer Flow know of your interest at:
https://www.transferflow.com/suggest-a-product

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Have you posted your roto molding process on line Peter?
Not here.
I make the simple sheet metal moulds and get a local moulder to make the tanks.
Threaded fittings can be added anywhere they are wanted later by spin welding.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Attachments

• 20-12-02 mould Inside E.JPG
    20-12-02 mould Inside E.JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20-12-02 Mould outside aE.JPG
    20-12-02 Mould outside aE.JPG
    387.7 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010724E.JPG
    P1010724E.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 17

Clrussell

I hope they get this tank built. I’m sure carb / evap will be the main hurdle.

50+ gallons in a crew short gas ram will be great. I’ve been considering a tundra instead of a ram for this exact reason.

In Oz, ARB make rotomoulded plastic fuel tanks for a few of popular models.
They are tougher and lighter than steel and never rust. Superior in every way.
ARB plastic fuel tanks

I have made my own for my truck.
130L (Made for water, but suitable for fuel).
View attachment 821355

200L

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

No doubt those are impressive looking rotomoulded plastic fuel tanks, Peter. However, in the USA, such a tank could be problematic. For example, those of us living in California (which is about 12% of the entire USA population), there's a requirement to get your vehicle inspected periodically for emissions ("smog check"). My understanding is that if modify your tank or anything else related to emissions, the modifications have to be approved by CARB (California Air Resources Board), or you will fail inspection and be denied registration renewal. Transfer Flow spends the time and money needed to get CARB approval for their tanks. So, this is part of what you are paying for in the cost of the tank.

Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
No doubt those are impressive looking rotomoulded plastic fuel tanks, Peter. However, in the USA, such a tank could be problematic. For example, those of us living in California (which is about 12% of the entire USA population), there's a requirement to get your vehicle inspected periodically for emissions ("smog check"). My understanding is that if modify your tank or anything else related to emissions, the modifications have to be approved by CARB (California Air Resources Board), or you will fail inspection and be denied registration renewal. In the case of Transfer Flow, the spend the time and money needed to get CARB approval for their tanks. So, this is part of what you are paying for in the cost of the tank.
No doubt their after market steel tanks need approval then also.
What is the difference?
The ones I make for my own use are approved by an authorised engineer.
These days, pretty much all small vehicles have plastic tanks. Large trucks often use aluminium to keep the weight down. This has its own significant problems with the risk of fatigue that is not present in plastic.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior