Transmission binding in reverse??(I think)

cjken

Explorer
Question
I've been doing some work on my van (1995 7.3 4x4 ex-ambulance) lately to deal with a few issues.
Finished ball joints, steering box, and ujoints.

I notice some sticking in reverse.
Truck drives perfectly in forward.
Almost feels like brakes are on.
I recently did rear brake shoes (drums)
I thought maybe something was binding in drums. But that is not the case. I pulled the drums and ran truck on blocks binding in reverse still an issue.
So I pulled drive shaft. Everything behind driveshaft moves freely by hand.
In front of driveshaft that is not the case.
I can manually rotate driveshaft (in neutral) in the forward direction. Trying to rotate it the other way can be done but is difficult.
With motor running in drive transfer case output shaft spins freely in reverse it requires some gas pedal pressure to get output shaft to spin.

Any ideas or advice to narrow this issue down. Anything I should be checking that I am missing??
Thanks

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Could it be something in the transfer-case? or front drive line? How does it act when T-case is in neutral?

You've already done everything I thought of first, so I'm running low on ideas. It sounds like Transmission trouble.

What colour is the trans fluid? Have you drained the trans? Metal filings? Chunks?

cjken

Explorer
T-case in neutral I can spin drive shaft both ways easily.
T case in 2wd there is some resistance spinning it in reverse. I don't the front drive line is a factor since in 2wd it is factored out of the equation.

Had trans fluid pumped out and refilled in January.
Maybe that upset something within.
I have not driven it much since then. Drove today. Forward is fine. Shifting is normal. Backed up once today. This time it was not as sticky as it has been recently.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Strange, very strange.....

Have you recently changed fluid in the Diff or the TC? I'm guessing that you have a Dana 70 in the rear,
and it requires friction modifier. I have also read in some forums about using it in TC's.

As a side note, did you put in an inline filter to compliment that tranny fluid change?

I just hit 5,000 miles on my first one, and am about to change it.

https://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-51...650466&sr=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=Raybestos+515553

cjken

Explorer
No inline filter.
Good idea. I'll add one at some point.
I did not consider checking t-case fluid.
Not sure if the t-case has much to do with issue, but now is a good time to check/change. No idea when/if it was last done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears