Transmission shop in Los Angeles?

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
A friend of mine is having some problems with the H55F transmission in his 60. It is sometime difficult to get into 1st as well as difficult shifting into 2nd. I suspect it may be the syncros.
Does anyone have a transmission shop recommendation in the Los Angeles area? Thanks!

Seeker

Adventurer
It might be cheaper to buy new. When I called around I was quoted $4k to $8k for a rebuild. Ridiculous. If I assume $200/hr labor rates thats 5 to 10 days.

--Allen

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
$200/hr is an inflated shop rate in my experience, higher than a dealer. Hopefully someone else here on ExPo will have a shop to recommend.
It might be cheaper to buy new. When I called around I was quoted $4k to $8k for a rebuild. Ridiculous. If I assume $200/hr labor rates thats 5 to 10 days.

--Allen

JasonRedwood

Explorer
My mechanic, Jimmy, runs Pacific Auto Center. If your friend is in the area its worth him checking out. Jimmy is always honest, does clean work, and has very reasonable rates. His shop can get very busy for those reasons. If he can't help your friend I bet he could recommend some one. Then theres always tlc4x4.com in the valley. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998