Transporting propane

mudshark

As I began formulating plans to convert my Safari into a camper-van, I had these vague ideas about using a Kanz field kitchen with a propane stove. I even thought that maybe I would look into whether or not there were suitable propane powered furnaces available for my van.
But because I hadn't thought this through, it never occurred to me that just using a typical barbecue cylinder stashed somewhere inside the van may not be the best idea. That all changed when I went to talk to the local propane installer guy about what he would recommend. He quickly pointed out that, not only was this not safe, it wasn't legal either.
His proposal was that I install a larger, horizontally oriented tank under my Safari, with a valve by which means the tank could be filled from the outside of the van. Although he never did locate a suitable tank for this specific application, it was apparent from the numbers he was bandying about, that this was going to cost me into the 4 figures.
I received this as quite a hit, since to take his advice would blow the lid off of my humble project's budget. Better than blowing the lid off of my van, it goes without saying, but I couldn't help but wonder if some of you enterprising and crafty people might not have found an equally safe, yet more cost-effective way around providing fuel for my camp stove.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
John B.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I have never used propane in a vehicle, but plan to as well. There is plenty of room in the basement on my truck, not so with the Fozzy, (and I had planned an Astro) and my thought was on the roof, in a box.

What about a rear bumper mount on the back, seems most are carried there. I also see alot of empty carriers without a bottle, that may be due to state laws. I know tunnels could be a problem but I'm under the impression those signs are for larger tankers, not a camper, but not sure. That might be another issue.

I realize that some RVs have interior connections and some may even use it running down the road, but I suspect tank will need to be connected as you set up camp, outside. The smaller you go the fewer amenities you would have and just need to adapt, carry it on top, securely and covered, then install as needed I'd say. :)

Last edited:

bahndo

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
A Propane locker is sealed to the inside of the vehicle with a vent to the outside. This will allow propane to exist the vehicle in the case of a leak and not fill the vehicle. You can build them with a door so you can access the tank from inside but you'll want that door to seal as well. hope this helps.
-Bahndo

MicroBird

Adventurer
As I began formulating plans to convert my Safari into a camper-van, I had these vague ideas about using a Kanz field kitchen with a propane stove. I even thought that maybe I would look into whether or not there were suitable propane powered furnaces available for my van.
But because I hadn't thought this through, it never occurred to me that just using a typical barbecue cylinder stashed somewhere inside the van may not be the best idea. That all changed when I went to talk to the local propane installer guy about what he would recommend. He quickly pointed out that, not only was this not safe, it wasn't legal either.
His proposal was that I install a larger, horizontally oriented tank under my Safari, with a valve by which means the tank could be filled from the outside of the van. Although he never did locate a suitable tank for this specific application, it was apparent from the numbers he was bandying about, that this was going to cost me into the 4 figures.
I received this as quite a hit, since to take his advice would blow the lid off of my humble project's budget. Better than blowing the lid off of my van, it goes without saying, but I couldn't help but wonder if some of you enterprising and crafty people might not have found an equally safe, yet more cost-effective way around providing fuel for my camp stove.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
John B.

When I used propane on the road in my vehicle, I use those little Coleman cylinders. They last a long time and are cheap. Less than $3 a can at WallyWorld. If you're full timing, they wouldn't be good. Your propane guy is on crack or maybe he's sniffing too much propane.

http://www.twinsrecreation.com/Boat...pg-Locker-W-4Lb-1Gal-Steel-Tank_p_63875.html#

Thers soome masdde for rvs tooo. (srrt my hands to shakky tpdday)

Cool idea, but that's not exactly a solution for a low budget build.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I bought a used under mount when my propane van failed inspection once...new tank was $900.00 used tank $50.00 local wreckers and about $75.00 for new valves. Inspector want no major rust, mounted on grade 8 (I think) and 2inch square plates so it did not pull through the floor (I was lucky and the tank fit my factory mounts)

On my current van I have a 20lbs tank on the back tire swing...take ferries, over the cdn/us boarder, through states, provinces, no one has ever questioned it other than the ferries requiring the valve to be closed...Been back there 2+ years...

ever a problem I can remove the tank and give it away on the side of the HWY.

mudshark

Having had some time to think about the propane locker idea, I'm wondering if a person couldn't make one. I've seen articles on making them out of fibreglassed plywood, but why couldn't you just use one of those plastic 5 gal. pails they use to contain pickles, or jam, etc. for restaurants? They have a pretty good seal, and with a bit of weatherstripping, this could be improved on. Any comments, or similar suggestions?
Thanks. John B.

mudshark

Just came back from an extended visit with the local marine supply guy. As you can imagine, he deals with a lot of the same issues as we do. It was my thinking that, in our little town, he probably had more parts and info that were relevant to my project then anyone else.
We talked about a number of subjects ranging from running an electrical system in your ride (yacht or van) to carrying propane. The short version of the story is that he strongly advocated for hanging the tank outside of the van, like on the roof, or on one of those hinge-mounted brackets on a rear door. His reasoning was that in many places such as state or provincial or federal or national parks, you would be turned away if you were running a propane tank inside the van that wasn't set up to be filled from outside of the van (i.e., access hole & door to the propane locker from outside). As much as I didn't like the idea of hanging a propane tank on the back of my van, between the exorbitant cost of hanging a tank under the van, and the nasty thought of cutting an access hatch through my van and propane locker, I've pretty much decided for Plan A.
I'm open to being talked out of that if anyone can make a better case for a different option. Whadya got?
John B.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
His reasoning was that in many places such as state or provincial or federal or national parks, you would be turned away if you were running a propane tank inside the van that wasn't set up to be filled from outside of the van (i.e., access hole & door to the propane locker from outside).

Interesting. Anybody else heard of this?

thedjjack

Dream it build it
Interesting. Anybody else heard of this?

nope never been or ran a park that cared about it...

Again paid $50.00 for a used tank that hung under the body

Only problem on any of my propane powered or equipped vehicles is not having the inspection sticker a removable tank avoids this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online