Travel tools for rental car?

plh

Explorer
I totaled a rental Chevy Colorado several years ago. No injuries, slid off the highway on glare ice into a pole. It was a sucky experience. I did have a rider on my personal insurance for the rental (in those days I was renting a vehicle almost weekly for work) which saved me a bunch of $$. It was still a huge PIA and I was 500 miles from home - but heading home. Rental company did get me another vehicle to complete the journey, but it was after a night in a hotel room. Lots of receipts saved on that trip for submission.

dunhammrocco

I totaled a rental Chevy Colorado several years ago. No injuries, slid off the highway on glare ice into a pole. It was a sucky experience. I did have a rider on my personal insurance for the rental (in those days I was renting a vehicle almost weekly for work) which saved me a bunch of $$. It was still a huge PIA and I was 500 miles from home - but heading home. Rental company did get me another vehicle to complete the journey, but it was after a night in a hotel room. Lots of receipts saved on that trip for submission.
thanks for sharing your experience

Reactions: plh

MontySquareo

A crappy harbor freight tire inflator has served me well for years. After about 20 minutes of constant running it'll start to smell funny though. I would personally bring water, inflator, jumper cables, wrench set, zip ties, and a plug kit if I wanted to be prepared and still pack somewhat light. I don't completely trust jump boxes anymore, I've borrowed plenty that said they were fully charged but would barely start a motorcycle or car.

ThundahBeagle

I’d still recommend to rent from companies that allow off-road if offered which in popular places like Moab,DV, etc. there is that option but not every destination has that option so I get it. As far as a jump starter on a commercial plane, I believe you can in your check baggage carry a lithium battery under 100 wh. My buddy checked a Mavic Drone which has a sizeable lithium battery in it. I’d suggest NOCO Boost products and probably the smaller ones like the GB20 or GB40 (I have both).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While we planned a trio to Iceland (that got cancelled unfortunately) I spoke with my nephew who had been there. They did a lot of dirt and gravel roads and even mild to mid level water crossings. I think' depending on the time of year's its expected there?

1stDeuce

Explorer
While we planned a trio to Iceland (that got cancelled unfortunately) I spoke with my nephew who had been there. They did a lot of dirt and gravel roads and even mild to mid level water crossings. I think' depending on the time of year's its expected there?
Most of the 4wd rentals in Iceland allow travel on most of the F-roads, which are 4wd only. There are a few exceptions, and they are very clearly spelled out. Technically there is NO "offroad" travel allowed in Iceland. And no camping outside proper campgrounds anymore either. Even though the rental companies allow F-road travel, you typically do so at your own risk.

Tip: Go straight through water crossings where the road would go. You'll find a hard bottom there. Stray left or right for a "better" line and you may find a soft bottom...

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Another thing to think about in todays rental car world. This was my latest rental. I got bumped into this "managers personal car" because they didn't have the car I reserved.
Wholly crap was this thing fast and drew a ton of attention but not the attention you want when your in the city. I swear I thought I was going to get car jacked at every stoplight in the city. Not to mention every kid in a Mustang wanted to race this thing. There's alot to be said about just having a plain jane car to fly under the radar.

IMG_2813.jpeg

Reactions: plh

MontySquareo

Another thing to think about in todays rental car world. This was my latest rental. I got bumped into this "managers personal car" because they didn't have the car I reserved.
Wholly crap was this thing fast and drew a ton of attention but not the attention you want when your in the city. I swear I thought I was going to get car jacked at every stoplight in the city. Not to mention every kid in a Mustang wanted to race this thing. There's alot to be said about just having a plain jane car to fly under the radar.

View attachment 813912
Shoulda got a Mitsubishi mirage or something if you want to fly under the radar

I know they probably didn't have many other cars and it's easy to take what they give you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior