Travel vs. Truck - Nathan's Grand ExPoordition

climber-420

Adventurer
Nathan,
Congrats on an awesome trip so far. Super jealous, but my adventure begins September 1st. I am moving cross country to a little town called Boulder. I just hope I can take the photos like you. Take care and safe travels.

ExPoordition - Downside - In more ways than one

When ever I tell people what I'm doing with the ExPoordition and that I work for a magazine they tell me how lucky I am. They say things like "sounds like your living the dream", or " what a great opportunity". And I whole heartedly agree. It has been a true priveledge and blessing to go on this trip, and help out at the Overland Journal.

But to be straight, I don't think I'd do this type of trip again, this long, alone. There have been days where things are straight up lonely. Not many, but a few. I can be a pretty good loner, and I can strike up conversation with strangers quite easily, but when most of your time is spent alone, seeing and doing amazing things, the experience just isn't complete. I think also, when life slows down enough to do a lot of thinking and reflecting certain memories or emotions are allowed to be revisited. For me this can add to feeling a little alone when there is no one to confide in.

But forturnately, times like this have been pretty few during this trip.
I am currently am enjoying the hospitality of Ben Edmonson, and his wife Beverly in their cozy flat in Telluride. It has been here were I have been able to clean up, sit down, and chill out beneith the beauty of the local mountains.

I drove to Telluride from Ouray via the infamous Black Bear Pass Rd. The following are a few photos from the Box Canyon falls in Ouray to the steeps of Black Bear pass.

Box Canyon Falls
ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20008.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20021.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20028.jpg

The Red Mountain that give Red Mountain Pass its name.
ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20042.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20045.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20049.jpg

Despite what the guide books say, I think this part "looks" the most unnerving. But driving it wasn't too, but bad.
ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20084.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20068.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20080.jpg

The first, toughest and highest switch back of the most exposed part of the trail.
ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20073.jpg

ExPoordition - Downside - Part II

For me this, little off camber was the most un-nerving section. I hate feeling tippy.
ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20094.jpg

The view up hill from the point-of-no-return.
ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20098.jpg

Looks...like fun...gulp...
ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20100.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20103.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20107.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20111.jpg

Happily around the tightest swithback. I met an old timer on the trail that was shocked I would even consider such a "long" wheel base on this trail.
ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20114.jpg

Backing definately required for my truck on switchback 2.
ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20119.jpg

Bridal Veil Falls
ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20121.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Black%20Bear%20Pass%20123.jpg

Nathan,
Congrats on an awesome trip so far. Super jealous, but my adventure begins September 1st. I am moving cross country to a little town called Boulder. I just hope I can take the photos like you. Take care and safe travels.

I wish you well on your journey. I blame the excellent camera I'v been using for the photos. Keep us up to date on your travels. Are you on a tight budget too?

ExPoordition - Costs So Far

Can you give us a total of cash used so far?

Sorry for not replying sooner. I missed your post hiding at the bottom of the Crested Butte pics.

I'v burned about $400.00 in gas - pushing 2200 miles and about $150.00 in food, draft beer, hot springs fees, minor truck parts, batteries, etc.

I have benefited from a few people's generosity so that has kept my costs lower.

These are rough numbers, keep in mind.

Momrocks

Adventurer
I'v burned about $400.00 in gas - pushing 2200 miles and about $150.00 in food, draft beer, hot springs fees, minor truck parts, batteries, etc.

These are rough numbers, keep in mind.

$600 Budget
-400 Gas
-150 Grub
______
$50

Are you close to wrapping up or have you tapped another source of cash to continue the fun?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Nathan I completely understand about the comments people make...from the outside things looks perfect.
But like you said there are all these amazing things that you make you want to turn to someone and say "wow ain't that cool".
Then there is the budget concern..watching what you spend and making sure you get bang for your buck.
Then there are your worries about making sure you capture quality images for the mag..you can't just snap pics for fun or blow off pics at all if you feel like it.
Your worry about the rig & mods..
And I am sure much more I don't know about.

But I hope you will look back on this trip as a real adventure and take lessons from it for future adventures.
Oh and like everyone else I am jealous and also hope you have fun!
Keep the great pics coming for those of us living the dream through you.

climber-420

Adventurer
I wish you well on your journey. I blame the excellent camera I'v been using for the photos. Keep us up to date on your travels. Are you on a tight budget too?

I guess you could say I am on a tight budget, but it's a little more than the$600 you alotted yourself. Well, your excellent camera,has got me drooling over some places I need to revisit with the pictures you've been taking. Black bear pass,wow, tight squeeze thru some spots. Whatever happened to the guardrail they had up back in the day:xxrotflma

jrose609

Explorer
Nathan

I remember being a kid and have both my granddad and my dad tell me to enjoy life and explore. Have a great time and have no regrets.

I remember being in such a hurry to grow up.

Now I have a career, a wife, four kids, mortgage, life insurance, etc etc etc. I wouldn't trade it for the world, but I think back to what my granddad said about going off and seeing the world before settling down. He was right. I didn't explore enough before jumping into "adulthood."

I must admit I am slightly jealous of the opportunity life has granted you. I guess I had been granted the same, but I did not follow through. Enjoy this trip. Take others. Explore. Have fun. Meet people. Enjoy the SOLITUDE! It gives us time to sit back and learn to appreciate who we are.

Perhaps someday I will have the opportunity to do what you are doing. I might be a little old, but oh well.:)

Cheers!

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12