Travel vs. Truck - Nathan's Grand ExPoordition

ExPoordition Update - Elephant Hill and the Road Home II

Thanks to all for the encouraging comments! I'm glad that this little adventure can give a measure of inspiration. It has surely inspired me to know first hand how tangible a trip like this can be.

Here are the photos from the last event of this trip: exploring indian ruins on Comb Ridge.

Scott, and Jeremy had been here before and told me this was a "must see" detour. The instructions were as follows: drive down the East side of Comb Ridge till you get to these such and such coordinates. Get out of your vehicle and turn to the North West. Look up and notice a slot canyon that will be in front of you. Walk up that slot canyon till you see the ruins.

I found following this "treasure hunt" to be great fun. Since I was low on daylight and hoping to meet some friends to camp near the Valley of the Gods, I raced "Cossette" like a Baja truck down the sand drifted red rock road.

ExPoordition%20-%20Elephant%20Hill%20%2820%29.jpg

In my haste I followed this little "rabbit trail" thinking it was a short cut, which it wasn't. But alas, it yielded a kinda nice photo.
ExPoordition%20-%20Elephant%20Hill%20%2821%29.jpg

Eventually I made to about this point and followed Scott's directions precisely. I felt like Indiana Jones as I donned my "booney hat", day pack containing the SPOT, GPS, jug of water, and rain coat. I also saddled up my trusty 13 shooter on my hip, laced my hiking boots, and charged off into to the over growth ready to hunt priceless relics in the name of history!!! Corney I know, but you get the point!
ExPoordition%20-%20Elephant%20Hill%20%2822%29.jpg

After about 15 minutes of navigating flash flood chasms, biting insects, and criss-crossing foot paths, I jounted up to my first look!
ExPoordition%20-%20Elephant%20Hill%20%2823%29.jpg

Indeed there were pieces of pottery and old corn cobs, just as Scott had said!
ExPoordition%20-%20Elephant%20Hill%20%2824%29.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Elephant%20Hill%20%2825%29.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Elephant%20Hill%20%2827%29.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Elephant%20Hill%20%2828%29.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Elephant%20Hill%20%2829%29.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Elephant%20Hill%20%2830%29.jpg

ExPoordition Update - Elephant Hill and the Road Home III

Continued from previous ExPoordition post.

Despite the trail being a bit scratchy (I recommend pants, not road rashed bare legs) several sections were quite floral. It was fun to imagine the people who may have originally tread these paths. Walking in and out of this canyon was like their daily commute. I wondered if they had scouts, guards, or a way of giving an alert if intruders came up the canyon toward them. While the dwellings are relatively hidden, there didn't seem to an easy way of egress.

ExPoordition%20-%20Elephant%20Hill%20%2831%29.jpg

After camping with a few friend from Prescott at the Goose Necks State Park near Mexican Hat, I hit the road home.

But, not with out first back tracking a few miles to cruise the Valley of the God's loop road.

ExPoordition%20-%20Valley%20of%20the%20Gods.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Valley%20of%20the%20Gods%20%281%29.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Valley%20of%20the%20Gods%20%282%29.jpg

Then it was wind, dust, and pavement home (or at least to Flagstaff, to stay the night).

Here are a few classic cheese cake shots. I like them though.
ExPoordition%20-%20Valley%20of%20the%20Gods%20%283%29.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Valley%20of%20the%20Gods%20%285%29.jpg

ExPoordition%20-%20Valley%20of%20the%20Gods%20%284%29.jpg

viter

Adventurer
just read your whole trip backwards page by page - cool trip report! thanks A LOT for sharing!!!

your trip certainly makes me want to venture into Utah and Colorado even more, maybe this winter...

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
The tour started with me checking my hand gun at "the door" so-to-speak, with the Canyonlands Rangers. While I initially resisted the truth that I was indeed in possesion of a fire arm, I had to be honest and disclose my arsonal.

"Is a leatherman considered a weapon?" I asked?

"No" they said.

"What about my .45?" I asked hoping for the same answer.

"Please wait here" they said.

30 minutes, 30 dollars, 2 mags of 12, and 1 hand gun later, I was allowed entrance to the White Rim, armed only with a leatherman, a shovel, and chapstick.

Could you shed some light on this scenario? I'm about to head to this very same area and I was planning on carrying for the length of my trip.

Did they make you check it because you don't have a CCW? Or, is the park not honoring CCW permits?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Canyonland Firepower

When I purchased my wilderness permit for the White Rim, they asked if I had any weapons or fire arms, because they do not allow them in the park. I confessed to have my handgun and the Ranger had me leave it with them.

I later made friends with the Rangers, and gave them Overland Journals, and talked at lenghth with them. He said if it were Feburary he wouldn't care because the park would be pretty slow, but according to policy, and the busy summer season, he had to have me leave it.

I'm not sure about a CCW. I don't have one. But a CCW may allow you keep it with you.

I'd call the Island in the Sky ranger station and find out.

Hope that helps.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
When I purchased my wilderness permit for the White Rim, they asked if I had any weapons or fire arms, because they do not allow them in the park. I confessed to have my handgun and the Ranger had me leave it with them.

I later made friends with the Rangers, and gave them Overland Journals, and talked at lenghth with them. He said if it were Feburary he wouldn't care because the park would be pretty slow, but according to policy, and the busy summer season, he had to have me leave it.

I'm not sure about a CCW. I don't have one. But a CCW may allow you keep it with you.

I'd call the Island in the Sky ranger station and find out.

Hope that helps.

I was finally able to get a ranger on the phone today. I was informed that they will not honor CCW permits until February 2010 when the new law goes into effect.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Great trip and pictures, very inspiring!

Is it really needed to carry a fire arm when on trips like this? Is it really that bad down there? Sorry do not mean to take this OT at all just wondering.

Jeremy

Is it really needed to carry a fire arm when on trips like this? Is it really that bad down there? Sorry do not mean to take this OT at all just wondering.

Well, this touches on the gun mentality as a whole. I would wager that the pure, ablsolute necessity of something isn't often the reason a person would have that thing. How much do we really need most of the things we have. But thats not the point.

For me I feel just a little a bit safer with a hand gun, knowing that, if.... just if I needed it, I would rather have it than not.

But what would the need be? I usually imagine having it to fend of animals, or put a poor beast out of its missery that has been run over. And if I were to encounter dangerous people, I see it more as a show of force than needing to actually get into a gun battle with somebody. I would probably loose in this anyway.

Someday when traveling with a wife or family, I'm even more inclined to have a gun, given the addtional responsibiltiy I will fight to protect, even if the possiblity is almost none existent.

When I lived in Alaska, bears were so common in the town I was in every one carried a .45 just in case, they crossed a mama and her cubs or a Bruno having a bad day.

I guess, I just like carrying a gun, as a tool, more than a weapon, when solo in strange places.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Well, this touches on the gun mentality as a whole. I would wager that the pure, ablsolute necessity of something isn't often the reason a person would have that thing. How much do we really need most of the things we have. But thats not the point.

For me I feel just a little a bit safer with a hand gun, knowing that, if.... just if I needed it, I would rather have it than not.

But what would the need be? I usually imagine having it to fend of animals, or put a poor beast out of its missery that has been run over. And if I were to encounter dangerous people, I see it more as a show of force than needing to actually get into a gun battle with somebody. I would probably loose in this anyway.

Someday when traveling with a wife or family, I'm even more inclined to have a gun, given the addtional responsibiltiy I will fight to protect, even if the possiblity is almost none existent.

When I lived in Alaska, bears were so common in the town I was in every one carried a .45 just in case, they crossed a mama and her cubs or a Bruno having a bad day.

I guess, I just like carrying a gun, as a tool, more than a weapon, when solo in strange places.

That makes sense thanks. Up here you can only have a rifle or shot gun. No handguns when you are in the back country.

GPER

Observer
I must say this site and this trip is a great find. In about 7 more years when I retire this is the trip I want to take to see this great country of ours. Excellent photos and write up, looks like a great time.
Thank you for your adventure.

Lichen

Explorer
The "gun mentality" is also a way of life for people who grew up here in Arizona. I'm an old goose, and as long as I can remember, somebody in the group has always carried a pistol. It used to be for snakes and bears, but nowadays it is more for 2-legged creatures that are becoming more prevalent in the wild. I always have a Glock close by when camping. I pray that I will never have to use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman