Traversing the US (and back)

Foy

Explorer
Twin daughters of different mothers? (with apolgies to Dan Fogleberg)

Jesse,

That pic of your wife holding the youngest in the blue carrier looks as though she's delivering "the look", an expression I've seen many a time in 34 years of wedded bliss, punctuated with Lord only knows how many truck issues. Wish I had a buck for every time I've received "the look".

My money is on a bad radiator (which your foreshadowing hints at), a bad t-stat, or a collapsed hose. Or, perhaps none of the above, and you just had the Toy overloaded beyond its rated specs and the cooling system was never going to hold up under the extreme conditions of load, long grades, and high ambient temperatures.

Still on the edge of my seat, and waiting for Utah, Idaho, and Nevada,

Foy

pkeats

I had a heater core once that wouldnt let up a air bubble cause this problem as it was highest point in the loop. Had to detach a hose at the core - start the vehicle and wait for it to push it out...another option to help cool is turn on the heat and crank the fan...not something you want to hear though. Good luck and loving your adventure.

Nomadllc

Born nomadic
"I was expecting the routing to be fairly easy on this trail and did not have any routes plugged into the GPS. We did have the Utah Gazetteer and had it marked on there. Ended up that wasn't really enough. We made due but routing was confusing to say the least.

And in the end we didn't get to complete the Kokopelli nor did we even get to do any really technical sections of trail. I was disappointed to say the least but there was no other option. And so we limped back into Moab along the Green River. Photos coming soon."

Did you guys get on the trail at the rabbit valley exit #1? Thats where we access the river for great catfishing in the fall, and the canyons are fun to hike around, with lots of arrowheads and stuff. The driving isn't all that technical, but would be fun for the kids with the high burm sides and big steps.

jessejman

Adventurer
That pic of your wife holding the youngest in the blue carrier looks as though she's delivering "the look"

Oh, yes. It was getting dark quickly and we were all about to get eaten by mountain lions!

I had a heater core once that wouldnt let up a air bubble cause this problem

I tried bleeding the system and as far as I can tell there is no captured air.

Great adventure! Sounds like the over heating could be a slow head gasket leak.

Ouch....don't say that

Ouch - my reaction exactly. Hopefully it isn't although this was/still is something I'm worried about. There are no other symptoms though, that I am aware of. Coolant is always full and same color, oil has no signs of coolant in it, no seepage at block, no smoke - that's really all I know to look for.

Or, perhaps none of the above, and you just had the Toy overloaded beyond its rated specs and the cooling system was never going to hold up under the extreme conditions of load, long grades, and high ambient temperatures.

This was/is also part of my dilemma. Was the cooling issue 'normal'? It is heavy fully loaded - around 7200 lbs. But guys run these things all over the world and in places as hot as Moab and they can keep theirs cool, right?

40tude, Do you know what your truck's loaded weight is and did you see high engine temps in Moab? We were there about the same time. I imagine if you'd had an issue we would have read about it in your trip report.

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 16: Steeps to Skyline Drive, Boulger area

Having duct-taped and foamed and sealed the radiator as best as I could the day before I still wanted to try to get as far as we could before it got blazing hot. We woke up before 7 and were on the road just after 7:30. We thought about leaving the kids in their sleeping bags in the back but ended up getting everyone out and in car seats. The morning light made for some nice photos.

steeps to skyline.jpg 362.jpg

Before making the mountains we first had to go through Black Dragon Wash which was on the other side of the interstate.

421.jpg 425.jpg

426.jpg 429.jpg

432.jpg 436.jpg

The entrance to the wash. In the first few hundred meters we could tell this was going to take longer than we had thought. The track was tight and boulder filled. The paths split often and one would dead end a hundred meters or so later necessitating a long laborious reverse. Sometimes both pats would be equally difficult - one requiring a steep step-climb, the other lots of clearance and a very good line. Sometimes it would be both and no way around. It was long but quiet, solitary and cool in the early morning shade.

437.jpg 440.jpg

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 16: Steeps to Skyline Drive, Boulger area

Also knowing that this canyon had been a sacred place for the native Americans added to the solitary reverent feel of the morning.
442.jpg 443.jpg

446.jpg 456.jpg

458.jpg 459.jpg

471.jpg 472.jpg

446.jpg 471.jpg

jessejman

Adventurer
Did you guys get on the trail at the rabbit valley exit #1? Thats where we access the river for great catfishing in the fall, and the canyons are fun to hike around, with lots of arrowheads and stuff. The driving isn't all that technical, but would be fun for the kids with the high burm sides and big steps.

Yes, Rabbit Valley is where we started. There are tons of trails that criss-cross that area making it confusing for an outsider. But it probably makes for lots of great exploring for locals. I'm jealous.

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 16: Steeps to Skyline Drive, UT

493.jpg 502.jpg

It was beautiful in the canyon but very slow going. We kept checking our forward progress on the GPS and it felt like we weren't moving at all.

503.jpg 506.jpg

The last major obstacle in the creekbed was unpassable to all but high-lifted crawlers or motos/atvs that could slip between two large rocks. There was a way around but it was narrow tricky and steep. It was try it or turn around so we lined up the truck and climbed a steep rock and stone embankment that wanted to spit us back into the creekbed. It was too narrow for the cruiser so we ended up grinding the front right bumper on a rock to help push the front end to the left. With the hard part out of the way we flexed back into the dry bed and I caught the left rear bumper corner on a high rock and before I knew it I'd removed the flare and the mudflap. The bumper corner was still attached somewhat and holding all the pieces together. Time for some cruiser surgery.

510.jpg 527.jpg

We finally climbed out of the canyon and were rewarded with long-sighted views. And hotter temperatures.

528.jpg 530.jpg

Not all of the challenge had been left down in Black Dragon. There were two long series of steps we climbed. Neither were too difficult. Here is a photo of one.

545.jpg 593.jpg

Headed down towards the San Rafael River, the roads opened up and we set some land-speed records.

Well, it felt like it at least!

Last edited:

40tude

Adventurer
Jesse, I did see some elevated temps during our trip, especially in the middle of the Mojave. I would venture to guess that our trucks are within a few hundred pounds of eachother. Were you overheating or just seeing the gauge go up? I still think the issue is your fan clutch, the fluid in the old one was probably worn out, and from everything I have read the new ones from Toyota are simply wimpy and not up to the task. There is a remedy though http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/409627-definitive-coolant-temperature-thread.html I believe that guys are saying to run 30k cst oil in the new clutches.

Since getting back, I have installed engine and transmission gauges with alarms, and modded my clutch to 95 degrees and put thicker viscosity oil in. (I already had thicker than factory before the trip).

Hope that helps, it is a simple and cheap mod that could fix all the issues.

jessejman

Adventurer

591.jpg 598.jpg

599.jpg 601.jpg

We soon made the San Rafael River and stopped for some lunch and to cool off in the river. The crossing was a nice little oasis and break from the driving.*

606.jpg 613.jpg

We'd already put in some long slow hours but we still had some distance to make.

628.jpg 646.jpg

We passed through the swell (I think) and onto some flatter areas with Wingate Sandstone cliffs and more petroglyphs and dwellings.

651.jpg 673.jpg

An hour or so after leaving the crossing with the San Rafael River we made Castledale, Utah where we stopped to buy some more oil (Yeah, the LC, she burns a little oil), fuel up and buy an ice cream treat.

jessejman

Adventurer

691.jpg 701.jpg

From Castledale we headed up to Joes Reservoir and then into the southern Wasatch mountains.

705.jpg 719.jpg

It's amazing how much the landscape changed throughout the day. Often from far off these gravel roads look fine, smooth and fast. Some are like that but these were not.

724.jpg 726.jpg

We gradually gained elevation and the trail we were on continued to gradually deteriorate.

731.jpg 742.jpg

Soon we were back in the Spruce and Aspens and out of the hazy heat. We stopped for another play break - this time climbing on rocks and soaking our feet in a crystal clear spring along Miller Flat Road.

746.jpg 752.jpg

Further up and rougher roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger