Traversing the US (and back)

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 44: Ochoco - Malheur

Had I been paying attention to the road I would have realized that there was an obvious go-around to the washed out culvert that we were now stuck on. Realizing this, the pondering was over and we made piled some loose stones up into a sort of bridge. There weren't enough stones to reverse all the way in one go. We were still worried about the more dirt crumbling in and leaving us really stranded but we decided reversing was the best option. We did it in two steps: first onto the culvert and then reposition the stones for the next reverse from the culvert back to roadbed. It worked well and only cost us time in construction of the bridge.

DSC01019.jpg DSC01020.jpg

DSC01021.jpg DSC01022.jpg

Not that we expected much traffic along this trail but we had to do something to warn our fellow adventurers so we removed some rocks from the culvert and built a warning cairn in the middle of the road.

And we carried onward on a wave of new-found energy, not returning to the so-so campsites we had already passed but passing on to, uh-oh, private land. We were following a road marked on the gps but not found on the gazeteer or googlemaps. It was getting interesting (read scary). The sights were great and the road progressively worsened until it was clear that it was rarely if ever used. We still had to descend a large canyon to the Little Malheur River valley but we were nervous it wouldn't go. We passed multiple gates with no hunting signs and we kept going with the sinking feeling of knowing that we were probably not supposed to be on these roads. We made it down a steep rocky trail to the river and a road that was marked public on the gazeteer and we felt much relieved. But the next gate we came to, was freshly closed with bailing wire and wrapped so tightly that we couldn't have undone it without a tool. This was frustrating as we knew this was a public road. We found a way around by driving through a corral and out another gate. I'm not sure if this is what local people (if there are any) do or if we shouldn't have, but it kept us from having to mess with the bailing wire.

It wasn't long until we made our way back on to National Forest land and set up camp in a pine and aspen glade. Look at the map link on the previous page to a get an idea of the terrain we were driving.

DSC01024.jpg DSC01025(2).jpg

DSC01026.jpg DSC01028.jpg

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 45 and 46: Oregon into Idaho

Orday3.jpg Orday3t.jpg

Click here for zoomable map and downloadable route.

We awoke from our campsite just barely in NF land, packed up and climbed up over a pass heading further north than we had intended to go. Our mapped easterly route crossed private land and we didn't want to run into locked gate/angry owners after pushing our luck the day before. We climbed up the mountain we had camped on and sitting at the top considering out options for a reroute we were met by a caretaker of the private land we had crossed. He was kind and was doing some fence-work and helped us reroute back into public lands. Our new route took as back to NF-16 which was now gravel and then to stretch of pavement broken up by a foray into some brown dusty hills before reaching Ontario, Oregon and then crossing the border into Idaho.

DSC01030(2).jpg DSC01031(2).jpg

DSC01032(2).jpg DSC01036(2).jpg

DSC01037(2).jpg DSC01039(2).jpg

DSC01047.jpg DSC01055.jpg

Last edited:

EricG

Explorer
My wife told me that our four-year old daughter sat down and said loudly, "Whew, I could really use a beer right now!"

I've got a little boy that will be 4 in Febuary I can hear him saying that. He's real good at asking me if I need any beer when we go to the store.

I sent you a PM. I'm in Chattanooga.

Eric.

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 45: into Idaho

Idaho was a complete surprise for us. We had little idea what to expect and I hadn't even spent much time planning the route. From the western border to Ketchum is my own routing but from there I just jumped on the Trans-Id some members here run every summer and changed it up with a northerly twist into Montana in the eastern part. Also Idaho has some many backroads and trails it's a dream for overlanding. But I'll stop waxing on about since I want it to be unspoiled when I return.

DSC01061(2).jpg DSC01068.jpg

DSC01069.jpg DSC01073.jpg

DSC01084.jpg DSC01139(2).jpg

Eating lunch in Ontario and restocking on water, fuel and food.

DSC01108.jpg DSC01120.jpg

And then back into the mountains.

DSC01124.jpg DSC01127(2).jpg

jessejman

Adventurer
What kind of boxes are your black boxes on the roof rack? Those look like something I might need :)

Pelican Cases that I found for sale by a member here. They were $100/pc which is a smoking deal. I think they're the 1600 maybe 1650. They fit perfectly side by side on the rack and I tied them down with cordelet (Thin, static, climbing-grade rope) from the handles. They worked great.

broper10

Pelican Cases that I found for sale by a member here. They were $100/pc which is a smoking deal. I think they're the 1600 maybe 1650. They fit perfectly side by side on the rack and I tied them down with cordelet (Thin, static, climbing-grade rope) from the handles. They worked great.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. By the way, I really enjoyed your report and kind words from your time in Idaho. I am a Boise, ID native myself.

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 45: into Idaho

We entered the Boise National Forest north of Boise in a little town called Payette. From there we climbed over a mountain range, wove our way through a network of private summer-home road and finally ended up in Idaho City. We didn't do much historical research and we felt the lack of it in towns like this. In hindsight, it would have been nice to have some sort of state encyclopedia or field guide to have some knowledge of the areas we were passing through. Idaho City seemed somewhat a tourist trap but not at all glitzy or glamorous. It seemed a real pioneer town, dead now but for tourism. We passed through but we missed almost all of it's history.

DSC01144.jpg DSC01156.jpg

DSC01159.jpg DSC01166.jpg

DSC01168.jpg DSC01170.jpg

From Idaho City we continued East, sometime crossing into the Salmon-Challais NF. We were immediately met with a sign warning of a bridge closure further on. It said that due to damage, the bridge was impassable to wheel widths over 53". I stepped out and measured our width. Hmm, 77" (I think, I don't remember exactly). Well, we knew the bridge wasn't an option. I will admit at this point my imagination started running away from reality. I tried to imagine all the possible scenarios of the approach to and exit of this possible river-crossing. Surely, I thought, there must be some way around the bridge. It was just too major a linkage of trail systems for people just to turn around. I tried to imagine a river too deep to cross or banks to steep to climb. Somehow, I don't know how, I couldn't imagine it. I can now, of course. I can think of many scenarios that would require turning around, but, alas...

[I suppose I often mistakenly assume there are more people like us out there. Think Camel Trophy, where turning around isn't an option. We build our own rafts after waiting for a month in the Congo bush. We fell trees and string together bridging ladders to cross ravines in the jungle, etc.]

This warning sign didn't stop us. We pushed on all the while imagining different crossing scenarios. I simply told my wife we would probably squeeze through or there would be an obvious crossing next to the bridge. I mean, this was Idaho - dry, dusty, deserty Idaho. Yeah, we didn't know Idaho yet.

We wound and wound our way hundreds of feet up and then wound our way back down to the North Fork of the Boise River. And it was a river. We hadn't seen the bridge yet but I kept picking good places to cross or thinking to myself if we could cross at certain random points. We ended up stopping next to the river on well-used but still mostly clean, free campsite. The fishing was great, the water was cold but refreshing and washed the travel-dust off of us. It was hot out so we pretended we were at the beach and laid around in our bathing suits and fished or swam for the rest of the day.

DSC01178.jpg DSC01220.jpg

DSC01212.jpg DSC01217.jpg

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Love the South Fork...Was there this summer and caught some great trout...Even Bullhead trout! Did you happen to find the hotsprings right off the road? One in a campground and the others right along the side????

Last edited:

jessejman

Adventurer
Love the South Fork...Was there this summer and caught some great trout...Even Bullhead trout! Did you happen to find the hotsprings right off the road? One in a campground and the others right along the side????

Oh, I made an error. We camped that night on the north fork. We did fish and caught lots but no bullhead here. The next day we took an afternoon break at the hot springs on the south fork.

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 45: South Fork to North and a little beyond

DSC01192.jpg DSC01196.jpg

DSC01214.jpg DSC01218.jpg

We were really enjoying our campsite and decided that we would take a day off or at least the morning. We continued to fish and swim and play in the sand. Around noon a truck pulled down into the campsite - it wasn't quite visible from the road. It was a father with two boys up for the weekend. That's right. It must have been Saturday morning. We chatted for a while and told him that we'd probably move on up the road in a while and find a new site in a few hours. They left and said they might come back if they didn't find any where else to camp. If they hadn't come back we probably would have stayed another night.

While we were packing up, the kids played together. When they brought out their bikes my kids immediately stole them. We ride bikes all the time back home so they were jonesing to ride. Hopefully they shared well. It was hard to tell.

DSC01216.jpg DSC01236.jpg

DSC01237.jpg DSC01249.jpg

DSC01262.jpg DSC01267.jpg

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 45: North Fork to South and a little beyond

Orday4.jpg Orday4large.jpg

Click here for zoomable map and route download.

DSC01274(2).jpg DSC01275(2).jpg

We started upriver towards the bridge that was closed. I had studied the reroute and it would take us far out of the way but was possible. We still wanted to try to cross the river or squeeze through the bridge.

DSC01282(2).jpg DSC01288.jpg

Unfortunately there was no arguing or squeezing between these concrete pylons. I checked out around the bridge but the water was deep and swift and the banks were burley not to mention there was no way to get back to the road we needed to be on without a quarter mile trailblaze through large scrub. On the GPS there was a road broken by the river and it appeared to be the site of an old ford. I walked down to where I should have been on the 'road' but there was nothing but dirt, grass and stones under my feet. However, the river was wider here and fell across a natural shoal. The current was swift but not as deep as by the bridge. I walked the potential crossing and within minutes I found the exit from the river. The exit made it appear that some ATVs or sidebysides had used this area as a crossing as well. The bank was steep and sandy and to compound matters, it wasn't wide enough for our truck. But it would have to do. This had to be where we would attempt the crossing.

Video of approach to river crossing. Video of river crossing.

DSC01289(2).jpg DSC01292(2).jpg

This is the exit that almost required winching or digging. It took four tries to get up it. Since it wasn't wide enough I drove the left front up into the bank, cutting it down and making it wider. At the top of the ramp there was a foot drop caused by water erosion in the soft sand. That twelve inch wall stopped our momentum and caused all four wheels to quickly dig into the sand. Every time we backed up to give it another try the back of end of the car would enter the river again and we could feel the current swirling and pushing the rear.
DSC01295.jpg DSC01300(2).jpg

Last edited:

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 46: North Fork to South and a little beyond

We climbed up and over the next range of mountains towards the Middle Fork and then the South Fork of the Boise. We didn't do very many miles as it was sort of rest day for us. The first range we climbed after crossing the North Fork was fairly remote and not used often by full size rigs.

DSC01304.jpg DSC01308(2).jpg

DSC01312(2).jpg DSC01314(2).jpg

DSC01315.jpg DSC01322(2).jpg

DSC01323(2).jpg DSC01324(2).jpg

DSC01326(2).jpg DSC01327.jpg

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 46: North Fork to South and a little beyond

DSC01335.jpg DSC01345(3).jpg

Dropping down onto the Middle Fork...

DSC01349(2).jpg DSC01356(2).jpg

we traveled north for a few miles...
DSC01358(2).jpg DSC01360.jpg

trying to ferret out some hotsprings.

DSC01363(2).jpg DSC01364(2).jpg

And then we were climbing again into one of the prettiest valleys of the trip.

DSC01371(2).jpg DSC01377.jpg

There was no one else out there. We stopped and had a snack in the middle of the road on a steep hillside and enjoyed the tremendous landscape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger