Treadwrights and rain

Mayne

Explorer
I'm looking seriously at a set of Treadwright retreads to re shoe the Jeep. I've read the favorable imput on almost everywhere that I've searched. I wanted to nkow peoples experiance with them in the rain, as they are going on a DD.

Thanks
Mayne

KG6BWS

Explorer
I'm looking seriously at a set of Treadwright retreads to re shoe the Jeep. I've read the favorable imput on almost everywhere that I've searched. I wanted to nkow peoples experiance with them in the rain, as they are going on a DD.

Thanks
Mayne

So far, about 5 or so thousand miles, I can't say enough good stuff about my treadwrights!!! I love these tires!!! Great traction, balanced easily, and they ride great.

As far as rain, the few storms I've driven so far I have had no problems. My tires are the Wrangler M/T lookalikes, in 245/75r16. No kedge grip, just the standard compound. While the rains have been pretty good ones, they also haven't been exactly monsoon sized. Judging by the way they performed though I would have no issues driving them in something like the vertical floods I experienced in Minnesota last June.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Had mine for 3000 miles or so, from snow, ice and rain in Northern AZ to a long trip to the mountains of northern Mexico; 235/85/16, MT, no kedge flavor.

No issues in the rain and ice, and they did awesome in the little bit of snow we had.

Check a few threads down in "Re-tread Tires" if you havent already as there are a fair amount of reviews there as well.

sargeek

Adventurer
Tj

Ran a set of OTR Mudd tires with "green diamonds" traction aids on a 99TJ.

Tires performed well everywhere I used them. The only problem is that I only got about 35K on them.

Mayne

Explorer
Had mine for 3000 miles or so, from snow, ice and rain in Northern AZ to a long trip to the mountains of northern Mexico; 235/85/16, MT, no kedge flavor.

No issues in the rain and ice, and they did awesome in the little bit of snow we had.

Check a few threads down in "Re-tread Tires" if you havent already as there are a fair amount of reviews there as well.

I've googled and read and re read. I've come to the conclusion that most people have been satisfied with Treadwrights, and they aren't my father's era re pops. I'm wondering if the Kedgegrip verity improves rain driving like a sipe, or just get the normal verity and have the center lugs siped. I'm trying to make sure I will be suprised in a good way as far as perfomance goes. I don't ask for porsch... like performance, but I don't need a rollercoaster for a commute vehicle either.

Mayne

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I love my Treadwrights on the Cherokee... That said, they definitely don't feel quite as planted in the rain as the Bridgestone Potenza S-03's on my Porsche.

There may be other factors at work.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I have Treadwright ATB's (All Terrain) on my rig. They work flawlessly in rain and mud, and when we finally have some snow up here, I'm sure they'll work great in that as well. They also air down very well with no indications of tread separation when the sidewall is bulging. I've been recommending these tires to everybody I know who is in the market...best kept secret out there.

Spence

Kilroy

Adventurer
I'm ordering a set of AT's tomorrow, with the Kedge. After a 70 mile drive home on black ice 2 years ago, I'll opt for a few extra bucks for a little more piece of mind.

fisher205

Explorer
I put a set on my Silverado with the Kedge grips and they are working great in the snow. I usually run studded tires in the winter, But decided I couldn't afford two sets of tires this year so used this as a compromise. Now to see how they wear.

Faol

Observer
I ordered a set (5) of the Warden ATs in 31x10.5x15, and they should be here on Thursday. These are the ones that you are supposed to get about 60K out of. We shall see. They are going on a 1994 Jeep XJ.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I ordered a set (5) of the Warden ATs in 31x10.5x15, and they should be here on Thursday. These are the ones that you are supposed to get about 60K out of. We shall see. They are going on a 1994 Jeep XJ.

Faol, if you can, take pics of them and post up. I have been debating on wether or not to get some of these , since they are about half the price of the BFG A/T's that I normally run on my 93 XJ.
Thanks,
Matt

Faol

Observer
Faol, if you can, take pics of them and post up. I have been debating on wether or not to get some of these , since they are about half the price of the BFG A/T's that I normally run on my 93 XJ.
Thanks,
Matt

Maximus, here ya go. They came in today and I had them mounted. These are the Warden AT 31x10.5x15.

1. They are about 1" taller than the 31x10.5.15 Mickey Thompson Baja MT's I am replacing, even though they are the same listed size.

2. They are about 1.5" narrower than the Bajas, which has resulted in ZERO rubbing. I was thinking I would have to jack it up another inch or so, but these tires took care of it.

3. They are so quiet compared to the MTs, which was expected, but they are even quieter than the Terra Grippas ATs I had on my Z71.

These are just a really nice tire. The guys at the tire shop really liked them and asked where I bought them. When I told them about the price that I paid, they said that it is about 1/2 of the cost of what they sell a similar design for.

I really like the way these look on The Penguin (my daughter has named the XJ).

Pics are attached. The first pic is with the Bajas, the one in front of the cabin is the new Treadwright Warden ATs.

1994XJ.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
So, what are your first impressions of them ?

And dude, your XJ could pass for a twin of mine at a glance.

edit: I re-read your post.....to much going on around here, I can't think...

Mayne

Explorer
I pulled the trigger on a set of guard dogs from Treadwright. I' pobabley going to get the center lugs siped when I head up north, as no one does that around San Jose. Thanks for all the help and info, and time will tell....

Mayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman