TrekboxX drawer system for JK idea thread

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Dude, congrats on starting your company. How many systems do you have in the field? You comparing yourself to anything ARB is such a stretch! Stay humble brah! Sometimes heavy <> overbuilt, it just equals heavy.

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
Dude, congrats on starting your company. How many systems do you have in the field? You comparing yourself to anything ARB is such a stretch! Stay humble brah! Sometimes heavy <> overbuilt, it just equals heavy.

Thanks for the congrats. I don't think it's a stretch at all, I'm simply comparing Trekboxx products to the other options available to the buyer. Isn't that what a buyer is going to do?

Don't get me wrong, I like (some) ARB products. But when I was outfitting my rig I looked at their systems, and others. They work just fine, for the most part. But for me the quality and features weren't there, so I built my own. One thing led to another, and here I am.

Here is a message from one of my customers: "There was someone next to us with an ARB system. The difference was painfully obvious. Makes the ARB look like a toy."
So, comparing my company size to ARB, yeah, a total joke. But comparing my quality to theirs- I fare just fine.

Back to our regular scheduled programming. What is your ideal setup?

Maxcustody

Explorer
I looked at your product the other day stumbling across it on this site......I am new here. I will say I am impressed. I own a 2014 Jeep 4 door and looking forward to seeing one of your products for us Jeep guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrekboxX

Hey folks- sorry it's been quiet for a while. It's been busy over here moving and getting ready for a new baby. I've been finishing up a prototype system for a friend with an Xterra, which has been a great exercise in weight and space saving measures that I can transfer over to the Jeep designs. Even though the Xterra is much smaller in cargo room, there is almost as much lateral space as the Land Cruiser design due to these new features! Also, the system so far is LIGHT. One of the big advantages of the Xterra (and Jeep) designs is that the mounting locations for the system are along the outboard edges of the system, thus allowing the bottom of the "box" to be essentially a skeleton. This alone saves a ton of weight. The back of the system is also skeletonized. I made almost the entire system from 12mm baltic birch as opposed to 18mm, which saves a lot more. It's also plenty strong given the shorter spans in the system. The hurdle I have with the 12mm is designing for knock-down fasteners to work with the limited material width, but I think we can get there. I have a 2 door I've been measuring, and am still looking for a local 4 door. That's where we're at!

NXTSA 1.jpg
NXTSA 2.jpg
NXTSA 3.jpg
NXTSA 4.jpg

TrekboxX

Hey all. Another apology- we are moved in to the new place and have been busy setting up shop. My CNC manufacturer is also relocating to a new shop, so there's been a bit of a pause over here. He should be up and running by Feb at the latest. I have a local 4 door to work on, as well as a 2 door.

I'm still interested in some more thoughts on your ideal setup!

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Have you explored lighter materials such as fiberthane? AT uses it on some of their drawers. Its expensive but extremely light and strong. Love your work!

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
This happening? June is my decision point as ARB will be there offering a decent discount at the 4 Wheel Parts Vendor Expo.

TrekboxX

Yes, it's happening. Question for you guys- the "hollow" in the tailgate- is it deep enough for your average add-on? Such as a fold down table, etc? So, if the drawer system went all the way out to the bump out near the latch, would that be enough clearance for whatever you want to attach to the inside of the gate?

TrekboxX

Ok, so how far do these items normally stick out past the bump out? Are most of you guys running these tables, and if so which ones?

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Ok, so how far do these items normally stick out past the bump out? Are most of you guys running these tables, and if so which ones?

I run a JK Tailgater which does not stick out past the widest part of the tailgate (at the locking/release mechanism). I would think folks asking for more clearance are probably running molle bags attached to the bottom of their table. For me, I would prefer to maximize drawer volume rather than making room for a few cordura pouches. YMMV. :)

Sorry for the crap photo, sun not cooperating... but since this is March in Oregon, I'm not going to complain much!

JK Tailgater by pdxfrogdog, on Flickr

TrekboxX

Thanks, great info. I would agree on maximizing drawer volume (if I had a jeep, of course!). It's impossible to please everyone, but I'm leaning that direction, for sure. Seems to me if there are some options on the market that fit, then that should be the route to take. As it is the drawer depth is a challenge to fit popular fridges on top- we need all the space we can get!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger