Tri-Fuel Tacoma

Zam15

Explorer
This is an interesting video I found while browsing the net. The video features a Toyota Tacoma that has been modified to run on a few different types of fuel. So if the gas prices keep on going up or gas runs short we still might be able to drive our trucks around with a few modifications :ylsmoke:

"Alt-energy activist Tai Robison showcases a tri-fuel converted vehicle at the TeslaTech 2006 conference capable of running off hydrogen and two other alternative fuel sources, as well as conventional gasoline. The conversion is made possible by automated fuel-sensing technology under the hood that automatically configures the fuel-injection system depending on the fuel in use. Robinson describes the conversion in detail - with careful attention to the range, horsepower, and performance of the vehicle, as well as describing the benefits of the conversion financially. Depending on the type of fuel being used, Robinson claims that switching from gasoline can actually save money - something that depends in large part on the availability and proximity of alt-fuel stations for anyone inclined to pursue converting their own vehicle to save money."

Video Link

Tai_Robinson_Toyota_BridalVeils.jpg

PIC27.jpg

2004-09-10_GOING090_Tai-Robinson01_.jpg

Last edited:

keezer36

Adventurer
Cool. Excellent video. Thank you.

I noticed Tia Robison started to borrowed a line from the late great George Carlin when George was addressing the phrase "Save the Planet", he said "The planet, the planet isn't going anywhere. The planet is going to be fine. We're ****@ked!"

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very interesting stuff. I've been exploring the possibility of an E-85 conversion to mine to take advantage of the cheaper fuel (E-85 is currently selling for about $2.72/gallon in Denver.) I like the idea of alternative fuels and I think high gas prices are the "engine" needed to boost this technology.

BTW, great Black Bear Pass photo! I'm hoping to get out there this Summer!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Martinjmpr said:
Very interesting stuff. I've been exploring the possibility of an E-85 conversion to mine to take advantage of the cheaper fuel (E-85 is currently selling for about $2.72/gallon in Denver.)
Isn't E85 only ~75% as efficient in a gasoline conversion engine? I guess however that at $2.72 it is still somewhat more cost effective in comparison to the lower $4.01 gasoline in Denver area.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
pskhaat said:
Isn't E85 only ~75% as efficient in a gasoline conversion engine? I guess however that at $2.72 it is still somewhat more cost effective in comparison to the lower $4.01 gasoline in Denver area.

Indeed. There's a guy on MUD with 2005 Tacoma that did an E85 conversion, and he wasn't saving any money after the loss in efficiency. But if I remember correctly, that was about a year ago, and so gas may have been a measly $3.00/gallon.

Zam - great post. Very interesting conversion.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Jacket said:
Indeed. There's a guy on MUD with 2005 Tacoma that did an E85 conversion, and he wasn't saving any money after the loss in efficiency. But if I remember correctly, that was about a year ago, and so gas may have been a measly $3.00/gallon.

Zam - great post. Very interesting conversion.

When it comes to E-85 there's a lot of misinformation out there, sad to say. I've actually owned a flex fuel vehicle before (my '99 2wd Ranger) and ran it on E-85 a couple of times just to see what it would do (of course, back then E-85 was more expensive than gasoline so I only did it twice) so my information comes from experience, not from something I read on the internet. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the actual real-world results for me were no change in the way the vehicle drove and about a 12% - 15% loss in economy (I think my city MPG went from about 18.5 to around 16.2.) Assuming a similar loss in MPG (I'm currently at about 18 in the city) E-85 at ~$1 less/gallon would definitely be a money saver. Now, if E-85 prices go up to the point where the cost difference is less than that it may not be.

Of course the nice thing about the E85 conversion is that it doesn't require me to run E85. I'm free to switch back to gasoline if that becomes more economical.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Just want to take this moment and point out something that was unknown to me until recently(thanks wikipedia). Turns out when you burn ethanol, you get aldehydes, I found that and this kind of interesting.

Hate to be the wikipedia quoting nay sayer but...

A study by atmospheric scientists at Stanford University found that E85 fuel would increase the risk of air pollution deaths relative to gasoline.[82] Ozone levels are significantly increased, thereby increasing photochemical smog and aggravating medical problems such as asthma.[83][84]

According to an April 2008 World Bank report, biofuels have caused world food prices to increase by 75-percent.

Just saying... now if you're all in it to save money... :shakin:

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
I'd love to do some sort of conversion to my Jeep which is currently getting 15mpg empty if I baby it. A bit of food for thought though, here E-85 prices seem to be keeping up w/ gas prices consistently at about 50 cents less. Why? Who knows; greed is the only answer, but just a thought if you're considering doing that conversion. I don't see it as a long term solution personally, but that's just me. We need to stay away from effecting corn prices. That effect is just as strong as gas prices in a lot of other food prices. Plus, as said, it is significantly less inefficient.

Just my .02.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
pskhaat said:
What is all involved in E85 convo?

On most vehicles just changing out the fuel injectors and I believe some kind of a modification to the computer.

There are a couple of guys over on the CO4x4.org board who have just started pumping E-85 into their late model jeeps with the 4.0l I-6 engine. They get a "check engine" light but otherwise no issues. Another guy has gone the full conversion route on his TJ with no problems after about 5 months.

Here's the link to the manufacturer:

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/StoreFront

Cost is around $400.

And BTW you can make ethanol out of other vegetable products besides corn.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Well... true but all require some sort of arable land, where food could be grown or would be. Personally, I really hope that they can get the algae biodiesel up and running soon and I think thats where hope is.

ethanol-cellulosechart.jpg

RHINO

Expedition Leader
maxama10 said:
Well... true but all require some sort of arable land, where food could be grown or would be. Personally, I really hope that they can get the algae biodiesel up and running soon and I think thats where hope is.

really? i think the most hope would be getting the masses that commute on electric cars or something similar that can be charged at home preferably on renewable elctricity, i mean it is commuting back and forth to work, mostly by ourselves, that seems to be the cause of most auto pollution, and we know americans arent gonna take mass transit and lose all that "freedom"

the most interesting part about the whole alt fuel revolution is that it was already here, most of you prolly know that rudolph diesel built his engine to run on peanut oil, not diesel. and maybe some of you know that the original cars, model t's and stuff ran mostly on sugar beets, not gasoline. wood alcohol was a player also.

there a company in minnesota? thats getting into sugar beets again, i dont remember the numbers but its something like 5 fold what corn can do.

so whats old is new again. i think the high oil prices are what this country needed to start taking alt fuels seriously, its been a grassroots movement for a long time.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
pskhaat said:
Here I go again, but what about Industrial Hemp for ethanol?

The thing I like about ethanol is that (contrary to what many people think) it's not dependent on any one crop. Yes, some sources are more efficient, some less. But does "efficiency" matter that much if the product is a waste product anyway or uses land that is currently not being used to grow anything productive?

So to answer your question, why not hemp? I don't really care what it comes from, and I don't know why anyone else would either.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
RHINO said:
really? i think the most hope would be getting the masses that commute on electric cars or something similar that can be charged at home preferably on renewable elctricity, i mean it is commuting back and forth to work, mostly by ourselves, that seems to be the cause of most auto pollution, and we know americans arent gonna take mass transit and lose all that "freedom"

The problem with electric cars is that batteries are incredibly inefficient and ultimately not a very useful way to store any serious amount of power, to say nothing of the charging time required.

If anything I would think that using abundant electrical power to create hydrogen for hydrogen fuel cells would be a more effective and reliable way to alt-power. Another alternative might be using coal to create liquid fuel - as I understand it, it can be done but requires mass amounts of power (electricity) to do it.

But once it's done, the end result is a fuel that can then be transported to the markets where it's needed and used only when it's needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior