Tried to Kill My Montero on the Snake Lake Trail at Gold Lake - Beautiful Place

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
I definitely will. I'll be making new ones for places that need them. The gas tank plate will get reinforced and widened. I want to build protection for the diffs too.

be sure to post up what mods you do. I was thinking of a couple of things that would help quite a bit, but don't have the tools necessary to strengthen.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: It is truly a beautiful area--

IMGP0216.jpg

IMGP0220.jpg

I'd love to go back and take my trailer- !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
wow what an amazing trip report! The trail is beautiful, Im definitely making my way up there this summer!

Sucks about the dent, first ones always hurt the most. Rig still looks great

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
Great report! Very inspiring.
I've always been a big fan of your rig. Sucks to see the damage but with your skills I know the truck will look just as good in no time.
I also though you were running at least 31s for some reason.

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Thanks. I knew it when it happened, but it doesn't bother me at all. I built it to have fun with.

Great report! Very inspiring.
I've always been a big fan of your rig. Sucks to see the damage but with your skills I know the truck will look just as good in no time.
I also though you were running at least 31s for some reason.

JamesW

Adventurer
Sucks about the dent and the light,those lights are rare enough in the states too are they? At least it is only small damage in the grand scheme of things,it didn't stop you from carrying on driving for the rest of the trip.

Actually I am, but they measure just under 30" tall.

Thats probably due to them sagging a bit,what are they if you measure them from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock,they look like a nicely proportioned tyre

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Great trip report and thanks for the pics. Looks like a fun trail but dang it's too bad about the damage especially to the rear quarters.
Have you given any extra thought to chopping the rear lower body section to give yourself a bit more clearance like what Carlos & I have done?
I definitely will. I'll be making new ones for places that need them. The gas tank plate will get reinforced and widened. I want to build protection for the diffs too.
If you'd be willing to do that x2, I'd be in for each of the re-enforced skid plates. Can pay in beer or cash whichever is your preference. :)

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
They are already cut about 4" and capped. I plan on cutting the another 3-4" and lengthening the bumper to the wheel well, with supports to the side of the frame. I'll also be pulling out the dent (not making it perfect by any means) and making thick aluminum plates that cover from the top body line down, and forward to the upper rear wheel well corner, back to the taillight. Kind of like the corners available for Jeeps, but bigger. I'll also be reinforcing all of the stock skid plates, making ones for the diffs and raising my gas tank.

Off-Roader, you have spring spacers, right? And just cranked TB? How do you like the ride? Where did you get the spacers? I'm on the fence between that setup and a complete suspension lift kit.

Great trip report and thanks for the pics. Looks like a fun trail but dang it's too bad about the damage especially to the rear quarters.
Have you given any extra thought to chopping the rear lower body section to give yourself a bit more clearance like what Carlos & I have done?

If you'd be willing to do that x2, I'd be in for each of the re-enforced skid plates. Can pay in beer or cash whichever is your preference. :)

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Off-Roader, you have spring spacers, right? And just cranked TB? How do you like the ride? Where did you get the spacers? I'm on the fence between that setup and a complete suspension lift kit.

Kirk,

From my highly accurate and regularly calibrated posterior mounted metering system (i.e. my butt ;)), the spring spacers haven't really impacted the ride quality from what I can tell so yes I like them, but then again the entire rig sits ~5" taller than stock (un-weighted) and with all my gear in back, it doesn't hit the rear 35's so that's a big plus for me. Otherwise it's tough to provide a truly objective comparison/opinion.

The ones I bought were made by Daystar and are made for Toyota Sequoia's. HTH.

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
I'm going up to 35s, so that's good news to me. Do you know what year you ordered? I'll be ordering a pair today. You just have cranked stock torsion bars up front though, right?

Kirk,

From my highly accurate and regularly calibrated posterior mounted metering system (i.e. my butt ;)), the spring spacers haven't really impacted the ride quality from what I can tell so yes I like them, but then again the entire rig sits ~5" taller than stock (un-weighted) and with all my gear in back, it doesn't hit the rear 35's so that's a big plus for me. Otherwise it's tough to provide a truly objective comparison/opinion.

The ones I bought were made by Daystar and are made for Toyota Sequoia's. HTH.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'm going up to 35s, so that's good news to me. Do you know what year you ordered? I'll be ordering a pair today. You just have cranked stock torsion bars up front though, right?
Kirk,
Sorry bud. Hope this isn't too late as I just saw your question. I don't have the part numbers. I may at home if I still have the original box in the garage. You can also measure the spring diameter and call up daystar and check which of the Sequoia ones fit best.

In case it helps here's the brief write-up I did of the install... http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...stall-amp-anti-sway-bar-removal-(96SR-Montero
HTH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears