TRIP OF LIFETIME, DOUSED BY ATTITUDE

mkitchen

Explorer
Finally Hitting the Road

nn1kao.jpg

After 30 years working with the local Sheriff's Department, I finally retired and was ready to take the trip to Alaska that I had always dreamed of. I retired in mid April and as the jokes always imply; I had a heart attack on Memorial Day. Not the way that I wanted to start my retirement or my summer. Regardless of that mis-adventure though I was determined to still do my trip to Alaska as planned for July and August. Mo and I had made plans to meet up with some friends in Kelowna British Columbia and from there we were going to head up to Alaska and see as much country as time allowed. The whole idea was to not have a strict schedule and be free to explore where ever we wanted as we traveled.

Like most of us who look forward to that paycheck, my earlier trips were pretty well scheduled so that we could fit in destinations with time available. Well, no longer having to do that, I wanted to travel without a schedule. I have a friend, Jeff, who was able to take off for a month one summer and he and his wife just traveled where they wanted, when they wanted and they had a great time. For years, I told my self that I wanted that same freedom. Well I finally got it. I had a great vehicle and the perfect trailer for that type of travel and I was going to head out, see the wild west in all it's glory. The dream of all overlanders and I finally get to do it. By the second night, I was complaining to Mo that I wanted to go home.

Our first night, due to a late start from Kingman was to camp in the San Francisco Peaks, just above Flagstaff. I found a fine spot with a wonderful view of the moon as it traveled across the sky.

no7nf7.jpg

Leaving there, we headed northeast towards the four corners. This is a section of Arizona that is superlative in it's vast, open views of the high desert. We traveled through Monument Valley and though still a bit warm, was a great tour.

iyk9hl.jpg

qnk193.jpg

qzm2vd.jpg

From Monument Valley, we continued on and into Utah for a short period and them Dolores Colorado. We were still in some pretty warm country so we headed higher into the woods. We found a nice forest service campground and we had time to make camp and take a short hike along a creek before dark. These are the moments that I have dreamed of for years and I was doing them, so why the funk and depression. How can a fellow have a pity party when there is absolutely nothing to be pitied for?

Our camp that night
dqky21.jpg

a13ats.jpg

My goal was to head to Telluride the next day, find a camp site and travel some of the passes. Again due to poor planning on my part, I showed up in Telluride on the same weekend that they were having their summer music festival. Okay, let's look at this. I am in a really pissy mood, mad at the world and do not want to be around other people (Mo had her hands full) and I am armed. So going into Telluride was out and north bound we headed. Again, traveling on some of the most beautiful roads around, we headed up towards Marble. We found a tiny forest service camp ground on Erickson Creek and planted there for a night that grew to two as we were enjoying the area. We traveled over a pass to Crested Butte and spent a day just casually walking around the town, trying out some local brews and meeting some very friendly foiks. If you want to meet people, walk a couple of Welsh Corgi's. Unlike me, Corgi's like everybody. This level of cordiality rubs off even on me. Everyone in town from store clerks to tourists just seemed to be very happy to be there.

2r73bj7.jpg

2u4r0nb.jpg

5foo78.jpg

r6zktc.jpg

So two days camping at Erickson Creek and getting to visit Crested Butte did lift my spirits quite a bit and I started to think that the trip might work out yet. After all, I had two months set aside and lots of country to see. So let's see how it goes. Besides Mo was not hearing the idea of going home. So I will post up the next part of the trip soon.
Mikey

Last edited:

Happykamper

Explorer
Good for Mo !!! Retirement is not as easy as folks think!!! Plus you had a rocky start. Hope your well! Same type deal here. I collected and built and collected and built. A year and a half later my wife first and a good buddy in AZ. Asked are you just building or are you going to actually take that first trip you planned. I realized I was keeping busy because I did not know anything else. I was terrified to actually leave on my mammoth trek. I would have to relax and find out ... I guess if you were like me, I was a problem solver for hundreds of people , your a cop. So I assume the same in a different way.
I took the trip and every day for a week and a half I thought about turning back. Till it wasn't a viable option.
That's when I found myself!
I was sitting on a rock and just started laughing wondering what all the other people that had to work were doing. I remembered the stars in the sky from the night before. I looked at the small lake I was camping next to then at my kayak. It was mounted on my jeep. I had not used it yet. My Chaser wasn't going anywhere , and I realized I really did not have to leave and keep to the schedule.
I rowed that lake for 4-5 hours stopping to look and eat and water .
I stayed an extra night.

I have been going ever since.
Momentary depression is ok I suppose , in your case for two reasons. But you will have that moment of clarity that the world is yours for the rest of your life to do as you please. I promise you it will happen.
Smile and may God make smooth the path you follow :)
By the way , thanks for your service as a police officer!

Robert Bills

Explorer
I, too, am recently retired and can identify with unexpected emotional reactions during that "dream trip" anticipated for so many years. Trust me, you will acclimate to retirement and with luck will find yourself just as busy as you were during your working life. Once you do you will never look back.

Oh, and ignore that ignoramus who suggested that you, recently retired from a career in law enforcement, should buy some weed to change your attitude.

Last edited:

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Corgle spotting! Yes that's how you spell it for a group larger than two
978052d5a6d76698ad002ec39c2a8f8b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krick3tt

Adventurer
I am also retired and although I have not done all the plans, it is still a wonderful thing to have no scheduled stops. You will get the hang of it and it will be great.
Enjoy and do what pleases you. It is sort of like having a choice of all the jelly beans in the jar when before you could only have the green ones.

UHAULER

Explorer
I just took my early, early retirement at 50 from a water district job 4 months ago. I was really getting burned out of my work and living in the suburbs. We moved to the mountains. I knew beforehand that the money was going to be way less than before, I am dreading having to go back to the daily grind somewhere else. The things I thought I was going to do more of, dirt biking, mountain biking and travel, just don't seem as fun anymore. I almost have to force myself to have fun. It's like I can't enjoy life in the moment, always thinking or worrying about something.

Good luck on your trip and hope you work through it and enjoy a well deserved vacation.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I was sort of forcably retired years ago. I suppose I did it to myself. There was still some work but the other people had family and I felt it best to let them make a living for their family.
I can spend about 4 days somewhere and feel the need to go on. Sometimes the weather and a few times the people I was around.
Sunrises and sunsets are great out there and really do make you feel better about where and who you are.
Dogs and a wife can do the same.
You will find your happy spot.
Monkey

CSG

Explorer
I'm also retired but having mostly worked for myself over the years. I took a couple of "dream" trips while I was young. One when I was 41 (wife was 35) where we drove all over the west and western Canada for six months in our Lance camper. When we got back to NorCal, we knew we were going to move to Idaho after our trip and did so a little over a year later. In Idaho, we ended up having kids rather late in our lives/marriage (47/41). We traveled with them on numerous trips in that same truck camper but as they got bigger we switched to a 5th wheel. In 2007, when they were 9 and 7, we went off for what was to be a year long RV trip around the country (we home schooled them that year). The trip ended up being much shorter because it was mostly work for me (although we had a great time). We came home for what was supposed to be the winter and never did another RV trip like that again. I've never really put my finger on it as to why I didn't want to continue that sort of trip but I think it was simply the family dynamics of traveling that way and having to school the kids as well (and my wife was telecommuting for her work).

The following January, I bought the Pleasureway Traverse in my signature and started doing shorter, more regional trips again, often with both boys but as they got older still, just one at a time. My wife has no interest in that sort of more primitive travel. We still talk about getting some sort of motorhome when the kids are out of the house for longer trips but how I feel now, at 65, is a whole world different than I felt in my 30's and 40's. I used to say to my wife when we were first married that all a guy/couple needed was a sports car, an RV, and a sailboat. Now, I want my comforts and things I have at home. I still take fairly frequent short trips in the van within a couple hundred miles of home but two-three nights and I'm good.

My thinking is don't put off the "dream" trips; figure out a way to do them when you're younger. Once you're retired, especially if you're in your late 50's or early 60's, you won't likely be the same person as when you were younger. Embrace the person you are now and don't beat yourself up if what you thought you wanted when you were younger is different from what you want now. Maybe chuck the truck and off-road trailer with the RTT and think about a Class B van of some sort or maybe a small Class C like the Lazy Daze. Sure, you won't do the off road stuff (unless you get a Sportsmobile) but maybe save that for local overnighters? I know I'm rambling (it's late) but I could relate to some of the comments in this thread and just wanted to throw my own thoughts in.

BTW, the guy making the comment about weed, came across as a bit of a joke comment. FWIW, I was a cop in SF in the 70's so I kinda chuckled over it.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I decided not to comment on the weed bit. Don't encourage some people.

Even if you felt that you rambled, you did make some valid points.

One of the reasons I went for early retirement was that I have seen many people retire and promptly fall over and they never got the fun from their "Golden years". I decided to go out and about while I still could.

Last edited:

Kevin108

Explorer
My goal is to knock out the next 16 years as quickly and as successfully as possible, then go live close to where you took your trip. Like you, I struggle with social anxiety. A little Xanax goes a long way towards making me comfortable in a crowd.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
It was an insensitive comment and a misguided, juvenile attempt at humor. OP is recently retired from a career with the sheriff's department.

Who can therefore be expected to be fully aware that weed A) is legal and B) does less harm than alcohol.

(I wouldn't have said anything, but seeing people jumping on the guy who suggested weed, while letting the Xanax suggestion pass is so vile it makes me want to puke.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998