Trip Report - Old Iron Run II: February 16 - 18, 2013, KOFA Wildlife Reserve

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Mikey,
It might be a good idea to update the first post with a list of who is coming and their rig...
that will help keep a head count and give you an idea if it needs to get capped.

As an aside we should also mention comms:
I have both CB radio and 2m ham, no FRS family walkie-talkie though

What does everyone else have for trail comm?

mkitchen

Explorer
Updates done

Never did an update before but it turned out alright. I will add names as people come on.

On the radio issue, I currently have a CB in Rueben and plan to have my ham licence before the run and should have a dual band. It would be great if everyone had at least a CB but I plan to go on the principle of keeping the fellow ahead of you in sight. Radios are nice though for alerting others of those wildlife seen etc.

M Wehrman, can't imagine not having a dutch oven. I suppose I am going to have to bring a couple of them along. Nice thing about a full size, lots of room for stuff. I am thinking that it would be fun to do a potluck on Saturday or Sunday dinner, eh? Like a turtle, I like to bring my house with me.
Mikey

Last edited:

AZ69EB

I would like to introduce myself, Sam. I have been a member on this forum for a few years, but have not posted much. I live in the Gilbert area. I have an old blue oval square box type of vehicle to go exploring.

If allowable, I would like to try and make this run. It sounds like a great time. Plus, this is a part of the state I have not wondered around much. I'm always, looking for new terrferma to explore.

1leglance

Sam it would be great to have you along...
Post up some pics of your rig when you have a chance.

1leglance

Holy Crap that is a nice Bronco...
I had a chance to hang out with Todd and enjoy the Mexican 1000 chasing for a 69 race Bronco and my respect for those rigs just keeps growing.

Of course the Ford crew is getting a bit large...looks like I am going to have to get some more Chevy's to join the group :)

NOIBN

Observer
Of course the Ford crew is getting a bit large...looks like I am going to have to get some more Chevy's to join the group :)

I'll go with and bring my voluptuous Chevrolet product to help you feel more secure. :)

Do we have any reliable Dodges?? We need some of those.

mkitchen

Explorer
Starting to look like a nice bunch of Old Iron jumping in.

AZ, that is a very nice looking Bronco. Maybe I can talk my friend, Marty, into coming now that there will be other Broncos there. Nick, glad to hear you are jumping in as well. I am very much looking forward to this trip, it's going to be a lot of fun and the campfire banter should be quite animated.

As a side note; what if anything are you all doing to your vehicles for this trip? I am hoping get the shocks replaced, new spring bushings, finish the inside of the shell (or at least get some of the improvements done) and get my ham radio in. I just got my H4 headlights and wiring but have not got them set up yet. That is a lot of work for someone as un-motivated as I am. And to top it off, I am currently on graveyard shift and just don't seem to be able to get any motivation going. So, how about the rest of ya?
Mikey

mkitchen

Explorer
Where are all the Power Wagons, Jeeps, Toyotas and Rovers?

There has got to be some folks out there with the above vehicles that might be willing and able to come along. Let's round out this group with some more vehicles.
Added AZ69EB and Noibn to the list.
Mikey

1leglance

67...that must might make you the Oldest of the Old Irons :)

It would be great to have you along.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
All I am going to do is take is out a few times between now and then. spent this past weekend out in the desert, what great weather!

Looking forward to seeing all the old iron out and about. Love them old Broncos.

AZ69EB

Everyone thanks for the complements regarding my bronco. It's a fun toy, but a little on the small side as an expedition rig with a wife and two kids. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on this trip. I have never been in the KOFA area.

Todd's a great person. I have had the pleasure of knowning him for about 8 years or so. We are both in the same classic bronco club.

FYI - I like anything that puts power to the ground and I get to ride on it or in it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179