• IMG_1040 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1040 (Small).JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1039 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1039 (Small).JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 5

6x6pinz

Adventurer
more pics yet, do you feel like you were there?

Attachments

• IMG_1050 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1050 (Small).JPG
    104 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1041 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1041 (Small).JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1042 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1042 (Small).JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1043 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1043 (Small).JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1044 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1044 (Small).JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1045 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1045 (Small).JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1046 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1046 (Small).JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1047 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1047 (Small).JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1048 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1048 (Small).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1049 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1049 (Small).JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 7

6x6pinz

Adventurer
ok last one for a bit

Attachments

• IMG_1072 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1072 (Small).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1073 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1073 (Small).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1074 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1074 (Small).JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1075 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1075 (Small).JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1076 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1076 (Small).JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1077 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1077 (Small).JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1078 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1078 (Small).JPG
    77 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1079 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1079 (Small).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 6

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
more pics yet, do you feel like you were there?

No. But after looking at those pics, I'm so glad I wasn't able to go. Looks like you had a horrible time and bored out of your minds.

*sniff* *sniff*

Can you smell that? Smells like sarcasm! Or maybe a little envy? Either way...you old cuss' should have let some of us young kids come with our fancy new rigs. Just in case you needed a ride back or something. Kind of like a chase vehicle!

In all seriousness...looks like it was a beautiful trip! Thanks for sharing the pics! :)

6x6pinz

Adventurer
^^^^ maybe you should set up an "open to all vehicles" outing in your neck of the woods;)

Or you could join the pinzgauer group on the Rug Road outing coming up in a couple of weeks. If interested drop me a PM and I can get you the info.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I moved this thread over to Completed Adventures and I need to pull pics off my phone.
Great time and can't wait to get back out to that area and also to get together with some great new friends.
Thanks Mike for putting this together.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I moved this thread over to Completed Adventures and I need to pull pics off my phone.
Great time and can't wait to get back out to that area and also to get together with some great new friends.
Thanks Mike for putting this together.

More pics please or it never happened. For all we know you hung that SPOT around the neck of a hyperactive jackrabbit after the first pictures of Nick's Burb were taken :sombrero:

Come to think if it, I never saw the pictures you took of our White Rim trip 2 years ago! :Wow1:

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Yay, photos! I've camped and explored around Palm Canyon and Kofa Queen Canyon before but still need to check out the rest of it. I head on out to the river so often that I should just take a day while I'm out there and see more of the Kofa NWR.

mkitchen

Explorer
An update without photos?

I am terribly sorry. Mo and I took off thinking that we had our 12 volt camera charger and a charged battery and it turned out that we had neither. At least I can give a breakdown of where we went and what we saw and let the others chime in with more photos as time allows.

Mo and I came out of the shell station in Quartzsite just as Mark was pulling onto Hiway 95 with his Volvo 6X6 so we followed him to Palm Canyon were we officially got to meet. After a while three Pinz' showed up and the meet was on. Most everybody climbed the cliffs to check out the palms that only grow naturally in three places in Arizona. Palm Canyon being one of those three places.

Saturday morning Todd and Sam showed up in their Broncos and Nick and Lance showed up in Nick's Suburban. So a little bit more time was spent exploring the area and then we were off to Kofa Queen trail to check out Skull Rock. This is another great spot to climb around and explore.

Queen Canyon is an out and back and so we headed out to 95 south to King Road. Shortly after heading east on King Rd, we cut south to Horse Tanks. This was a very scenic spot, again with a lot of interesting formations to climb about. Surprisingly, there were already three other groups there. The last time I was in the Kofa, I did not see anyone for three days. It is pretty obvious that the Kofa is becoming well known. If caught at the right time, Horse tanks would be a great place to camp. As it was, we had lunch there.

Leaving Horse tanks, we again got on King road (a very well maintained road, aka, boring) till we got to turn off towards King of Arizona Mine, hence Kofa. The mine is on private land but we got a good look see anyhow. If you do go exploring around there, be careful, there are lots of open mine shafts that are unmarked and easily overlooked.

After leaving the mine area, we again turned south looking for the cemetary and a place to camp. No, we didn't camp at the cemetary but we did find a very nice spot that was close enough that some of the group went back to check out the graves. Todd has a divining rod and not only does it discern water locations but it will pinpoint a grave as well. That night we had a pot luck and a nice campfire.

The next morning we took off for Engesser pass and points north. the bigger trucks did have to push through a bit of brush. Note - it seems that most of the trails are used more for UTV and ATV use. It looks like us four wheelers are getting lax in getting out there.

We stopped for lunch on Sunday at the junction of Hoodoo wash and the road between Engesser and Red Rock pass. Mike, Tim and Mark in the Pinz' and Volvo and Sam and Todd in the Broncos had to head back home so they went due north through Red Rock and Nick, Lance, Mo and I headed west through Hoodoo. We saw Hoodoo cabin, Wilbanks Cabin and Kofa cabin. All three were in very good shape for being 60 to 70 years old. This was also the roughest and most enjoyable stretch of the weekend (eat your hearts out, early exiters). We ran into some very steep, narrow and rocky stretches. I even hung up my rear dif and that is with 35" tires. To top it off, Nick and Lance got to visit with the great nephew of the original Wilbanks family as he and a friend were making a pilgrimage to the cabin. A place he had not been to for over 20 years. So what are the odds, eh?

We camped at Kofa cabin and since it was open and sported a wood stove, Lance stayed in the cabin that night. I know he was warmer than we were. My hat's off to him though, he had the fire going that next morning when I got up to start coffee. I really did not think that I would be sitting around a wood stove drinking coffee while on a tour of the Kofa Refuge.

We were too far north east at that time to do much more in the Kofa with the time we had so we took off up to I-10 and headed east then north to the Harquhala Smithsonian Observatory. Nothing challenging but rough and a whole lot of steep. From the top you feel like you can see forever. If you have not been up there, it is certainly a trip that is worth making.

Now we just have to wait for Nick and Lance to chime in with the proof of the above trip. Honest, we really did go and it was a lot of fun. I am already thinking of my next trip focusing on the Castle Dome mountain areas.

This is a long winded post so I am not going to get into the vehicles that attended. I will get in another post describing some very well taken care of Old Iron. Seeing these older trucks just makes me want to do more to my own. So look for more to come.
Mikey

AZ69EB

KOFA pictures

P1090258.jpgP1090245.jpgP1090252.jpgP1090252.jpgP1090255.jpg

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone as my son and I had a great time on this trip. Here are a few pictures from the trip. Enjoy.

toddz69

Explorer
Here's a link to an article on the cemetery:

http://www.apcrp.org/KOFA/KOFA_CEM._MASTdoc.htm

I'll try to post a few pics when I get a chance as well.

I want to publicly thank a few folks that helped me this weekend. When Sam and I arrived at Palm Canyon, I smelled coolant and soon discovered that my freshly repaired radiator had sprung a leak in one of the tubes and was spitting out a nice stream of coolant. Just what you need to start a trip! Special thanks to Mark for the use of his extended length needlenose pliers. I pinched off the tube and had no more problems for the rest of the weekend. Thanks also to Sam and others that helped with the repair.

Todd Z.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Awesome! So you guys DID find the cemetery! :) Did anyone happen to scramble up to see the petroglyphs at horse tanks? I wish I could have made the trip! As you made your way out on engesser pass road (in the kofa monument area) was there any water flowing from Alamo Spring? Also, if and when you do the Castle dome area, the big eye mine spur trail is a good time as well as a trip to little white tanks. At little white tanks if you climb up past the dam wall and make your way up the main wash about 1/2 a mile there is a small oasis (tank) that has some petroglyphs and bedrock mortars. Late spring early summer has lots of animals that drink there.

NOIBN

Observer
Well, here's to another great Old Iron Run.

The late arrivals:

IMG_9190Medium_zps7683a186.jpg

Non-specific generic scenery:

IMG_9218Medium_zpsd79c9463.jpg

Lunch time:

IMG_9231Medium_zpsa38a27c8.jpg

More generic scenery:

IMG_9250Medium_zps6c4f3561.jpg

More:

IMG_9257Medium_zps2fdd137f.jpg

Camp Saturday night:

IMG_9267Medium_zpsae7ede5c.jpg

....scenery:

IMG_9273Medium_zps168f1744.jpg

Hellecious guard dog(s):

IMG_9280Medium_zps0f05f666.jpg

Wilburn Cabin: As Mike stated, we came upon this cat and his buddy on quads, one pulling a trailer. He inquired about whether thiswas the correct trail to Wilburn Cabin and the condition of the trail and the cabin. He said he had not been here in 27 years when he brought his great aunt, whose husband (his great uncle) had built the cabin, in for the dedication of the Kofa NWR. The cabin was in great shape and had a couple bed frames in it and there was a sign saying that people were welcome to stay/camp there.

IMG_9303Medium_zpsa5feeed8.jpg

Even has a shower:

IMG_9318Medium_zps0a447070.jpg

After we left Wilburn Cabin, we hit the trail toward Kofa Cabin. We had to widen several miles of it. I cleaned a whole bunch of brush/debris out of the interior of my truck from this trail:

IMG_9319Medium_zps5b13fb39.jpg

Mike and Melissa climbing a hill:

IMG_9322Medium_zps4316831a.jpg

The Pinzers and the Volvo would have really enjoyed what happened shortly after that pic was taken. The metal in my hand was transported to that spot by my differentials. It was removed by some very strategically placed rocks in the center of the trail that the Pinzers and the Volvo would not have even had to adjust the placement of their trucks to cross without incident. I can picture them lining up their lawn chairs in a row watching the show while pointing and giggling, then driving their trucks back and forth across the "obstacle" explaining how they fail to understand the problem. Maybe not. LOL.

IMG_20130217_163813_zps5062b4d0.jpg

We arrived at the Kofa Cabin:

IMG_9337Medium_zps0ad51a43.jpg

IMG_20130217_175259__zpsaac1e9c2.jpg

After a much cooler night, we packed up and headed out. Quartzite to Vicksburg via Kofa NWR took us 166 miles. We pointed the trucks west toward the Harquahala Mountain.

That's where we are going. Right to the top.

IMG_9353Medium_zpsf171c0ef.jpg

This fairly represents a good portion of the trail, but there are a few pretty nasty sections:

IMG_9363Medium_zps7b78c243.jpg

There is a section in this pic toward the top that got so bad they installed concrete:

IMG_9367Medium_zps8e394933.jpg

Yes, it IS that steep:

IMG_9380Medium_zps099fcf6b.jpg

Here is what is currently residing at the top: (I'll let Lance explain better what the original mountain top tenant was.)

IMG_9383Medium_zps9161e7d8.jpg

So all in all it was a great trip. We met a whole bunch of great people and got to see a bunch of cool trucks. It would have been better if the early leavers could have run with us on Monday, but I understand all too well about the whole "required attendance" at work. I hope to be able to share a trail with the other participants in the future and if the opportunity presents itself, I highly recommend it to others. Our thanks again go to Mike and Melissa for another great trip.

elripster

Adventurer
Great thread and pics. I had a thought as far as defining old iron which might boost attendance while keeping with the spirit of the run. How about in addition to 1980 and older allowing other vehicles that have old souls. For example an fj60 with its carburated powertrain from a tractor, no options like power windows, and stiff solid axle suspension feels every bit as old and in cases older than vehicles pre 1980. So maybe one could alow vehicles that were newer than 80 if the had no fuel injection, no abs in their model line up excluding diesels for the FI?

Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater