Trooper future for North American owners

AKTrooper

Observer
I have 1998 Trooper and have documented on this web site my attempts to reduce oil consumption, keep it running and generally maintain this Isuzu product that I am actually very happy about owning. That said, what now? With Isuzu Corporation officially out of North America in January and genuine Isuzu parts becoming increasingly rare, how do I maintain this overland rig in the future? The small fixes might be handled by Napa but what about the big stuff like transmissions, axles, engines and rear ends. Even with good maintainence, these parts wear out just like the wipers and bearings. Any ideas out there, I am all ears and eyes.

bootzilla

Adventurer
Are they really getting out for good? I just figured they would keep selling re-badged pickup trucks to fleets as long as they could turn a buck or two.

The good thing is that they sold a lot of Troopers over the years, so rebuildable parts - alternators, starters, even engines should be available for some time, I would think.

The 4L30E transmission was widely used, most notably by GM and BMW, so parts should remain available here, too.

Because of the GM tie in with Isuzu, some parts used were interchangable with GM cars - I'm not sure how many, but at least EGR valves are (which is good, because they like to go bad).

I'd also imagine some dealers would keep their service departments open for the brand just because they are money-makers - and since Isuzu isn't out of the car business overseas (and sold a bunch of Troopers there, too), then factory parts would still be accessable - although they might take more time and be a bit more expensive. They still have their commercial dealers, too - so they might be able to source parts and do service.

Down the road, it might be a little more difficult, but I don't think it will be too tough to find parts for the life of the vehicle. Fortunately, they built our Troopers pretty solid, so hopefully the big things won't be necessary.

Last edited:

red87

Adventurer
I believe GM pledged to support Isuzus for 8 years so you should be able to get parts through them, assuming the recent bailouts work and GM doesn't go under.

robertdarin

Adventurer
go to planetisuzoo.com there are a couple of guys there that sell parts at cost...as far as larger parts, there is always the junk yard.

yubert

Explorer
Didn't Honda/Acura sell a rebadged Rodeo and Trooper?? I assume they'd be carrying parts.

SGV

Adventurer
yubert said:
Didn't Honda/Acura sell a rebadged Rodeo and Trooper?? I assume they'd be carrying parts.

Yeah. The Rodeo became the Honda Passport and the Trooper was turned into the Acura SLX. I have included the SLX in my search because it is identical to the Trooper LS, but because it's an Acura, they seem to be a bit more expensive than a Trooper of the same year. How cool would it be to show up in an Acura on the trail?

I am curious. Since I am in the process of finding an Expo rig, even though the reputation of the Troopers is outstanding, would it be a folly to pick one up?

-or-

Would it be a frugal move to take advantage of the diminished prices of a Trooper? There are '02's in my area for under 5k!

ttravis5446

Adventurer
You can always start hoarding junkyard parts and parts cars like a lot of us guys who have been into various orphaned makes. I think I have had 6 VW busses sitting in my old yard at one time, 4 studebakers at another time, and a few postal jeeps at another time. You can always find parts if you really want to.

Zaphod

Adventurer
yubert said:

Don't be so sure.

I don't live anywhere near an Isuzu dealership, but there IS an Acura dealership right down the road. I called them about servicing my Trooper, and they told me point-blank that they don't touch the Trooper OR the SLX.

Not sure if it's true, if it's limited to one dealership, or if the idiot I spoke to was just an idiot. :(

Zaphod

Adventurer
Well, FWIW, my lovely wife called a few junkyards today in hopes of finding a part I need. One of the guys who answered told her, in so many words, "Tell your husband to dump his Isuzu and get a Toyota. There are more parts and support for it, and it's a better vehicle anyway. Isuzu parts are drying up and it's not worth it."

Yeah. Right. :mad:

I hate to break it to Captain Junk, but my beloved Trooper is paid for and is running just fine, thanks. I found the part on eBay easily enough, although it wasn't cheap, admittedly.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? WHile I've been tempted in the past to swap for a Toyota, the cost of getting a new vehicle (even if it is used - I don't buy new) kinda throws me off. That said, if swapping vehicles IS the best idea, then I want to do it before I drop over $3K in suspention and roof-rack upgrades to my rig.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I think you're fine with your Trooper. Mod away. Parts will still be available for them. I never had a problem finding a part for my Trooper from Checker. If they didn't have it at the store I was able to find it online or from a local import shop here in Phoenix, BAP Import Parts, and the prices weren't out of line. In fact, most of them were quite reasonable.

Zaphod

Adventurer
Not that I have the most experience in this area, but in the past month I've taken my truck to a former dealer (now Mazda), and they were able to work on the truck without issues. Later that week, mt tranny blew its accumulator seal and I was able to get it fixed in an Exxon garage in no time. As I mentioned earlier, e-Bay abounds with stuff.

I will also admit something..... I have a very deep attachment to my rig.

- It is the first vehicle I purchased entirely on my own.
- It's the vehicle I purchased as I was getting divorced so as to drop the mutually fleaced Honda.
- I purchased it specifically to go off-roading and such with in the future.
- My girls (7 and 8) love it so much they've NAMED it (Cachito) and they were thrilled as punch the other day just to get to crawl around inside it.
- I have wonderful memories of my girls (then barely 2 and 3) laughing themselves silly as I "off-roaded" with them through the construction zones around their house.
- It has taken me from Florida to New York to Texas to Mexico to North Carolina and back to New York, with several inner laps, without difficulty.
- It has moved me altogether no fewer than 8 times.
- It has kept me safe and warm driving in snow, across mountains, through a river, and through the desert.
- It's comfortable for a guy my size (6' 3" and 265 ponds), yet not so huge as to be a beast.
- It has a level of visibility from the cabin that remains unmatched in ANYTHING I've seen since.

I can go on.

The bottom line is that I feel an almost scary cult-like attachment to this thing, almost as if it were alive. They will either bury me in this thing or I'll have to put her out to pasture because she just won't go any further. The money I pour into her to improve her or keep her going will STILL be less than what I'll pay for a new rig, and I'll still be able to do everything the new one does.

A man and his Trooper. It's a wonderful thing! :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan