Trooper Gurus! '96 Trooper Questions

Heading Out

Adventurer
I guess I should make it clear,

I was suggesting replacing the original bad engine, not swapping in a different engine, then swapping in a 5 speed manual trans from a like trooper for the automatic.

AK.xplorer

Observer
Finally got an answer. It is an automatic. It's also go 167k miles on it. Again, though, it's free. Not sure if it's really worth building, but a free vehicle frees up the money we had for the build quite a bit. Lol

I would stay away from that vehicle. I have rebuilt that "made in France" automotic transmission from a 1996 Trooper. The range mode sensors go bad, and as I recall, it was the most complicated transmission I've EVER built. Another thing that goes bad in them, is the little black plastic thrust washer that causes really hard shifts and slop.
The 3.2 liter v6 has no torque, trying to push a vehicle that heavy. Other than that transmission, and an engine not known for strong internals components such as rod bearings, valves, valve guides, etc, they're ok. I definitely wouldn't trust one, nor would I want to put the effort into rebuilding the transmissions. If you give me some time, I'll post pictures of the madness inside that transmission, when I was deep into a rebuild.

I'm uncertain why the only deal you could find in the landcruiser world, was an $8k rig with 300,000 miles. I just got a locked fzj-80 for $2200, after a head gasket job by a reputable mechanic. Deals can be found.......

arb098

Adventurer
Well, I went and pulled her out of storage. She is rough, but she looks a lot worse than she actually is. I thought at first that she was rusted through, but then I realized that the old tin roof had sprung a leak and all the sediment run-off had leaked down over her. I took a wet paper towel and wiped a few of the scarier looking areas, and the sediment came straight off. The paint underneath looks almost brand spanking new. The interior is musty, but I'll probably rip a lot of that out anyway. Turns out it had a brand new radiator, water pump, tires, heads, and intake manifold put on just before the engine went out. Thankfully, there is very little surface rust on the undercarriage. I won't know the full extent until I can get her into the shop. So, she's gonna need a bit of work to get her on the road again, but hell, she was free.

20170129_132417.jpg

arb098

Adventurer
Heck yeah...

Do you know what exactly happened to the engine?

Not a clue. Evidently, his mechanic thought the valves had collapsed, so he basically redid the entire upper half of the engine, but it didn't fix anything. That's as far as they got. If I had to take a guess knowing that this was her sister's car, I'd say she ran it outta oil and locked it up.

arb098

Adventurer
So, which engine would I need for the '96? Will one from any '95-'97 be a direct swap? I just found a running '95 manual that I can use as a donner, but not sure if it'll work or not.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
So, which engine would I need for the '96? Will one from any '95-'97 be a direct swap? I just found a running '95 manual that I can use as a donner, but not sure if it'll work or not.

As above, the 95 won't work. In 96 they changed to OBD II, so a ton of electrical, sensor, computer, and emission things were changed from 95.

You need a 96 or 97 for direct swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998