Trooper or 3rd gen 4Runner

MFoltz

Long time lurker, wonderful site!

Back in college I had a 1999 SR5 4Runner. I was in school at WCU in the mountains of western NC. Was able to find many fire and log roads and really use the truck to explore the mountains. Wonderful truck and loved it, but I was stupid and sold it.

10 years and a few kids later I am looking for a new to me truck. I have always been a Toyota person, my wife currently has a 2007 Sienna and we love it. The kids are of the age now that we could all go as a family and explore some of the same areas of NC

The problem is that I currently have a Trooper bug. Those of you that have had experience with both, what are the pros vs cons? I know all the pros of the Toyota, but what about the Isuzu?

I would be looking at a 1996 or newer Trooper. Thats the question, let me know!

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
In March I sold my 3rd gen to buy a LandCruiser ... thought I could live with the gas mileage of the Cruiser, but couldn't.

So, I ended up with a 2002 Trooper. This is my second Trooper, first was a 99. I absolutely love the Trooper platform, more so than the 4Runner. That said, I think long term ownership the 4Runner would be slightly more reliable.

I chose another Trooper over another 4Runner for a few reasons:

Cost to buy, a similar age and mileage Trooper is 3-5K less. Sold my 01 4Runner for 9K, bought by 20 Trooper for 6K, which was high because it was from a dealer.

Rear tire on the back and the barn doors - much prefer this setup to tire under and hatch.
Space, similar, but much more room in the backseat for the kids and that big boxy back end is awesome for carrying all the crap we as parents have to.
Seating position, Trooper more upright - for me it is more comfortable.

While aftermarket is small, I didn't want or need much to bring the Trooper up to what I want/need: OME suspension for about 2-inches of lift, crank the torsion bars: $500, Rock sliders, $500. With the G80 rear end (limited slip) I would take this anywhere I want to go.

If you want to go all out, you can get an ARB winch bumper. Can easily fit 285 tires in stock form if you want.

There are two potential problems with Troopers in the vintage you are looking at: oil burning and the auto transmission.

Many Troopers have met an untimely death because of the oil burning - fixed though in 2002, late 2001. The auto transmission, which mine is, can slip and or die. Read up about it on planetisuzoo or find a manual in the age range you are looking for. As I said, this is my second trooper, both auto, and never a problem. The 99 did burn about 1 quart every 1K, but use the right oil and get in the habit of checking it and it isn't a problem.

If you have cash, you should easily find a well maintained and nice Trooper for 2 to 5K. I've seen them as low as 1K with a bad transmission (about $1800 to rebuild). Good luck in your search.

If you have any specific questions, happy to try to answer them.

Attachments

• IMG_1888.jpg
    IMG_1888.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 53

MFoltz

Thanks for the reply!

That is funny you were looking at the 80 series LC and got one. That was my number 1 vehicle on my list, but it is going to be my DD. Gas mileage is my main concern with that vehicle as well. Is the gas mileage really that horrible? Everyone says it is, but what were your real world numbers?

My commute is only 5 miles one way.....

Is is only the 3.5 litre that has the oil usage? What about a 1995 with the 3.2? What year auto transmission has more problems than others? I am sure that I will have more questions in the near future.

I am not looking to make a huge rig like yourself, just a small lift and larger tires.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
The 3.2 is supposed to be a bit better for oil consumption from my understanding, and the auto is the same regardless of year.

The 80 had been my dream vehicle for years and when I bought a 91, I couldn't have been more thrilled. The honeymoon was short lived, in town mileage was between 7 and 9. Three trips up north to Phoenix, Prescott and Sedona in a month gave me 11 to 13 on the highway, closer to 11 in most cases. With the 91, power was also lacking. Some of the hills getting up toward Prescott I was maxed out at 15mph, just not enjoyable. It was, however, the best thing I have driven offload.

The Trooper is a great compromise, decent mileage, good road manners and good offload. I have nearly doubled my in-town driving mileage and get about 18 on highway. I can also go up those same hills at the speed limit, which is 55.

I am not building a big truck either, just 1.5 inch lift (2 over stock saggy springs) and 265/75/16 tires.

MFoltz

Thanks for the info.

Those were the numbers that I was afraid of. I have looked at a few and while it was the only truck that I have wanted for a while, I have held off for one reason or another. I just recently sold one of my other cars so I am ready to purchase something. The info you just gave me closed the door on the LC. I would love to have one, but with those type numbers I will pass. I need to really start looking at the Troopers. I feel it has the "look" more than the 3rd gen 4Runner. We shall see...

HI. Just wanted to chime in. I have no experience with Troopers at all, but have had a 97 4runner for about 8 years now and LOVE it! I have had an '85, '90, '91 and now the '97. 3rd gen is by far the best so far (I think the v8 in the newer ones might be the way to go next).
We have about 205k miles on it now, and just had to finally repl the engine (though it did get us home from Escalante UT area to Phoenix area with a blown head gasket).
The 2nd gen 4runner is the worst of them all I think, very underpowered. If you can find a 3rd gen with the factory e-locker (mine has it, woo hoo!) , you will be able to go just about anywhere you want to.
Mileage is 17ish around town and 19ish highway (except when towing the camping trailer to the mtns, its about 14ish).
Quiet, Comfortable at highway speed and crawling speed, excellent a/c and heat. Not a lot to complain about.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Thanks for the reply!
Is is only the 3.5 litre that has the oil usage? What about a 1995 with the 3.2?

The 92-97 3.2L is a different engine, and is a pretty reliable one, no significant issues. The SOHC version (identifiable by the coil pack placement at the front of the engine) has hydraulic lifters that can clatter some, but this is more of an annoyance than an actual problem. The 92-95 SOHC is 175 hp, 96-97 SOHC is 190 hp (and OBD II if you care. I don't, personally). The 92-95 DOHC (coil packs at back of engine) is 190 hp, no DOHC in 96-97.

As for the 3.5L, sometime in 2001 they fixed the piston oil ring problem that was a primary contributor to the oil burning problem some have experienced. These "fixed" motors can be identified by a screw-in PCV valve, as opposed to a push-in valve.

But not all 98-2000 3.5Ls have the problem, I have friends who bought a 2000 Trooper new, and it is still going strong with no oil burning problem. Most of the people with problems are the sorts who don't pay any attention to their vehicles.

MFoltz

That is the only problem. I cannot seem to find the right Trooper with the full list of services that have been completed by the prior owner.

I have had Isuzu's and Toyota's and personally I would not recommend either of them. The Isuzu has way to many fatal flaws and while Toys are reliable I feel they are too high strung. If I were you I would highly consider a 1995-2000 Montero with a rear locker. Do your research because there was a change in axle ratios and fenders but I think you would be shocked to learn how bullet proof Montero's are. Unlike the 4Runner and Isuzu the Monty will seat 7 and you get a much stronger drivetrain. I used to have an FJ80 with lockers and I feel my Monty is a better all around offroad vehicle. While the FJ was better on the rocks because of articulation, the Montero is better in every other contition because of it's Active-Trac 4x4 system. Active-Trac puts the Isuzu TOD system to shame. Active-Trac allows you to choose 2wd, AWD, 4wd Hi, and 4wd Lo. The best part is the each mode has been individually calibrated to allow the abs brakes to be operable in all modes. You can also activate the factory rear air locker in all modes. Most owners see about 15-21mpg out of there Montero. It just depends on the year and axle ratios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears