Troubleshooting Winch (XRC8)

tweeek

Observer
I recently had my Smittybilt XRC8 out of my truck as I was doing some work finishing my plate bumper. It worked before I removed it (I powered out a couple feet of rope.) I had it removed for a couple weeks and put everything back together today. Buttoned everything up and of course, the winch is not working.

I had 10x checked over the wiring, and I put it back together exactly as it came apart. All wires are color matched so its not exactly rocket science.

-The solonoid Clicks AND the Motor Clicks as well when pushing the controller in either Direction.
-The Solonoid has 4 Posts, 1 + from the Battery and 3 outs which all go to the winch.
-Winch has Ground going directly to the battery -.

-When the winch cables are NOT hooked up to the winch, all 3 Outputs read 12v when the controller is pressed.
-When the winch cables ARE hooked up, they read between 5-7v.

-I have checked my ground and sanded/removed any paint from winch's connection.

-Winch motor gets very warm when intermittently pressing controller.

One thing I find weird, is that all 3 outputs of the solonoid read connectivity to Ground when the controller is NOT pressed, but read +12v when button is pressed. (Edit: only if power cables are booked to winch. If they are disconnected, there is no connectivity to ground on solonoid. )

The solonoid never moved, it is mounted under my hood.

I'm thinking I have a short in the motor itself, but I am definitely not an expert. Winch is only 2 months old and used 2x.

PLEASE HELP lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears