Truck and tire suggestions for heavy Arctic Fox camper?

hemifoot

Observer
how about,worst truck for a daily driver unless you like pissing blood.or buying 6 tires instead of 4 when it's time to retire?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
My Dually purchased new by me 24 years ago. The only vehicle I have ever owned that I purchased new. Still have the truck today. Cut it in half and stretched it when it was brand new!

Easy to drive in traffic and parking is a breeze! I have bought sets of 6 tires several times! I do piss a lot more now than I did when I first purchased the truck. Not sure if it's the ride or that fact that I'm getting old?

My 2 Centurions Feb 2014 2.jpg

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
It would be nice to know the total load on the rear axle. If the camper is 5,000 lbs and the rear empty weights 3,000 lbs. The OP would already be above or at max limit for any light duty single rear wheel rim and tire. In an off camber situations that could transfer a greater amount of weight to one side. I believe that is an overloaded situation or at the very least at the limit of the tires and wheels. The OP said he already cracked a wheel, as evidence. I am unaware of any light duty tire and wheel in a SRW configuration that would be applicable to the OP, hence the reason for a dually. The OP could consider 19.5's SRW wheels and tires but those would suffer from the same drawback as dually with regards to airing down.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
how about,worst truck for a daily driver unless you like pissing blood.or buying 6 tires instead of 4 when it's time to retire?

For me the dually part has never been a problem as far as driving it around town. It's that NV5600 manual tranny - ain't like a Mustang's 6-speed! Slow and deliberate is the best way to describe the gear shifting procedure. On the other hand, it's a tranny I will never have to worry about hurting. The ride is perfectly acceptable to me. As far as the tires, yes, I'll have to buy 6 but then it appears the tires I've got on there will last ~60,000 miles and that's going to take me a long time.

hemifoot

Observer
or fleet manager gave us a dually last year for a temporary replacement of our srw superduty.we forklifted a couple manhole castings into the box for some weight just to make the drive bearable. it was a horrible city truck.we ended up driving the 1 ton dually dumptruck more because it actually had a better ride.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My Dually purchased new by me 24 years ago. The only vehicle I have ever owned that I purchased new. Still have the truck today. Cut it in half and stretched it when it was brand new!

Easy to drive in traffic and parking is a breeze! I have bought sets of 6 tires several times! I do piss a lot more now than I did when I first purchased the truck. Not sure if it's the ride or that fact that I'm getting old?

View attachment 485018
Parking is a breeze?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You have heard of the that "10 Acre Field" to turn it around?

I'm good to go with an 11 acre yard so no parking or turning around worries for me!

hemifoot

Observer
it's not enough that the suspension is crazy stiff,the newer trucks require you to run with a crazy set tire air pressure or you set off the tpms alarm.my srw is set at 45/55 right now.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie

View attachment 485018

G.T. 350? More like G.T. 35000

dwilliams

No response from OP who shows to be a new member.

They ask questions, get responses and never personally respond or post again.

The answers to their questions must not be that important after all!

Sorry for not chiming in or responding. I thought that expedition portal was going to alert me when people commented on my post, but I never got any kind of notifications to that effect. I just happened to log in today to check on it, and I am quite surprised at all the response I have missed. I appreciate everyone's input, and plan to respond. I'm just learning how this forum works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle