Truck Bed Trailer build ideas - need input!

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Hey gang,

I wheel in a Mitsubishi Montero, and I also sleep in the back (there's no seats in back, and an airbed fits nicely behind the front seats). Juggling cargo is ususally the name of the game when we have to set up camp - removing stuff from the back of the truck and setting things either on the hood or around the truck, then there's room to inflate the bed. In the morning, we deflate the bed and put everything back into the Montero and off we go.

It's not so bad, but it would be nice if we didn't have to do that all the time. I've thought about different types of "DIY" trailers, utilizing the trailer as a foundation to customize...and I think a truck bed might be the most cost-efficient way to go.

GOALS: Storage for tools, fuel, gear, food; spare battery and solar panels perhaps. Will serve as "base camp" usually, staying behind while we do trail runs. Needs to be able to do some moderate rock crawling.

BUDGET: Non-existent. LOL! As cheap as possible. I don't need super fancy stuff, and it's not a sleeper. I don't need a kitchen sink, plumbing, or AC power...though, I could save a spot to mount a small generator just in case. Probably a long term project done in "phases" so there's never a ton of down time and the trailer will almost always be useable in whatever state of completion it's in.

What would you add? How would you build it?

My initial idea was a cheap used ladder rack or cargo rack added on, a few feet above the rim of the truck bed. This would allow mounting points for solar panels in the future. Beyond that...I have no idea. What would you build on a budget?

fowldarr

Explorer
This was my plan before I found a homebuilt enclosed trailer for a few hundred bucks.

I would recommend a smaller bed. There are lots of big ones, but find an old toyota bed, or if it comes along a mitsubishi bed would be cool. This will make it easier to manage, and easier to tow, and easier to store. I would find a cheap topper for it. Helps keep things dry. The ladder rack is a great idea and you can get them to mount outside a shell. Build in some water storage, maybe with a pump spout or even a battery powered pump. Don't go too big, water is heavy. With, or without the topper, invest in some action packers or other suitable water/dust proof containers to keep your stuff clean and dry.

fowldarr

Explorer
Also, the frames and axles tend to be heavy, most guys that keep them long term end up building a lighter frame and switching to a trailer axle. I am hoping to swap to a trailer axle myself (it has a trailer home axle on it now, which I don't ever have to worry about breaking...but....).

You get bonus points if you can find one with the same wheel bolt pattern as your montero which gives you built in spares.....

java

Expedition Leader
Love my little truck bed trailer. It started as a Datsun 720 (i think!) If I were to do it again, id fined something a tonneau cover is still made for. For the life of me they don't make ANYTHING that fits an older datsun.

Still all truck underneath. Took a lot of work to bring back to life, but it was $200 with the title originally. Id like to replace the axle and wheels and tires, but it works fine the way it is.

chelan520121.jpg

dsc03077s.jpg

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Thanks so much for the advice so far. I decided to pull the trigger after seeing a bed trailer on Craigslist this morning. $125 later, I came home this afternoon with a '76 Toyota Hilux long bed trailer (5x6). Java, it looks nearly identical to yours. :)

It's got a trailer axle and 15" wheels (Toyota, Jeep bolt pattern). It's old so it's got a few cracked welds here and there, but it tows just fine. Can't wait to get started...I'll start a build thread after I do some reading and planning!

970051_10151961217809071_630390458_n.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

One of these years I am going to build one out of a first generation tundra bed to match the truck. I figure with the same paint, rims, and tonneau cover it will look pretty slick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears