Truck Bed Trailer Build

Chili

Explorer
I bought this trailer a couple of years ago, and have had many plans for it that I have dragged my feet on starting. Partly due to funds, partly due to laziness. I accomplished a few very small goals, but I am finally getting ready to start my build in earnest.

The trailer is a first Gen Ford Courier (1971 - 1976). The previous owner(s) had already completed a good amount of work on it and when I bought it, it was road worthy and already useful. The day I bought it:

316169_2428652718703_520807219_n.jpg

My first addition to the trailer was a side table. I made a thread on that here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/80746-Small-addition-to-my-trailer

168872_3770246289164_228141313_n.jpg

My first use on a longer trip (a week on the Alpine Loop):

578781_3770250969281_2032509676_n.jpg

522074_3770502815577_1295367058_n.jpg

It performed well, although on our way back from that trip we were rained on for a few hours. Everything in the trailer was safe to get wet, but after that trip I decided that I wanted to find a topper for it to minimize the impact of rain, and to eliminate the worry of smaller items slipping out from under the straps and blow away on the highway. It would also be nice to be able to have some ability to lock up the contents of the trailer.

I was watched CL for a topper for it for some time, and finally found one that met all of my needs. In addition to fitting, and being very light, it also had locking access points on both sides. This is pretty much where it sits today (excuse the dirt):

Trailer Cap.jpg

(to be Con't)

Chili

Explorer
We are planning on spending another week up in Colorado this summer. In preparation I have the following plans to be completed by then:

• CVT Mt. Rainier RTT w/ Annex (Ordered)
  • CVT "79" Awning (Ordered)
  • 3500lb trailer axle (still has truck axle, over the springs)
  • Upgrade Tail-lights to LED (complete rewire, already have parts)
  • Fenders (axle will be wider than current to give more stability and more closely match track of tow vehicle)
  • Cap Rack to mount RTT and Awning
  • Strip remaining tint from cap windows and black them out
  • Stabilizer Legs (Received)

All of that should be purchased over the next couple of weeks, and installed no later than mid-June. I will track progress here.

Longer term, I also intend to complete the following. This may change, but my goals are:

Redesign / lengthen tongue
The trailer is a bit short behind the Suburban. It tows great but is a little tricky when backing up. I would also like the additional tongue space to mount the fore-mentioned tool box. Or, alternatively, I plan on picking up a Yamaha TW200 to take along for trail riding, so I may just set up a spot to haul the bike.

Set up tongue with 2" receiver
So that I can swap out ball hitch with Lunette for offroad use (as needed).

Add battery / lights
Nothing crazy, just want to be able to hook up a light or two inside the cap, one facing the "table" side of the trailer, and probably a small-ish inverter.

Water Tank
Would like to mount a tank (or tanks) under the bed. Somewhere between 10 - 20 gallons would be preferable. Possibly a small pump as well, which would give me another use for the battery.

Slide out bed tray
I would like to partition off the side windows (will explain in ,ore detail later) and add a slide out tray for the bed. The primary purpose of the slide out bed would be to make it easier to reach items towards the front of the trailer. This one is a big maybe though. Everything I plan on having in the bed will be in Action Packers, so I may find that a slide out tray is unnecessary.

Last edited:

Chili

Explorer
Some details on short term plans:

The rack I will likely buy to mount the RTT and Awning is this one:

xcaprack1-650.jpg

Based on the specs it will fit perfectly, outside of the cap, without interfering with window access. I had planned on working with one of my friends that welds, but think that this will work well without the headache of a custom build. It will hold the weight needed and will only require very minor modification, if at all.

I plan to set up the RTT and Awning on opposite sides. The Awning (on the passenger side) will be over the "kitchen". Here is a basic example, but mounted on my trailer, rather than a minivan (pic from CVT website). I don't think I will be buying the netting for the awning, after further consideration:

1326742437.png

Chili

Explorer
As I mentioned, I would like to separate the side window sections from the rest of the trailer interior. Something like contractor toppers:

A.R.E._Site_Commander_Truck_Cap.jpg

The awning / kitchen side would be for storage of kitchen items, utensils, dry / canned foods, spices, etc. The opposite side would be accessible from within the RTT Annex, and would be for clothing and personal items for my wife and I. I have some basic design ideas in mind, but have not detailed anything yet.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
awesome, thanks! :)

if I get a chance to weigh mine first, I will post up as well. I'm guessing its around 550 lbs max (76 Toyota bed, trailer axle, 15" steel wheels).

when looking around at some other military options, I couldn't believe the porkers some people were pulling! the smallest option, M416, is about 610 lbs. empty.

the M101 is about 1340 lbs, and the M105 is a whopping 2680 lbs!!!

add several hundred pounds of gear and modifications, and you may as well be towing a toy hauler full of sand rails!

Team Wild

Observer
Nice build. I have a Chevy Luv pickup box trailer that I will start building out soon. I am going to try and make it a utility trailer and camping trailer in one. If you get your stabilizers mounted please show some pictures. I need to mount some so the trailer doesn't do a wheelie when unhooked. I also want to figure out some tailgate cables to hold up the tailgate when opened up.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 78

Chili

Explorer
Nice build. I have a Chevy Luv pickup box trailer that I will start building out soon. I am going to try and make it a utility trailer and camping trailer in one. If you get your stabilizers mounted please show some pictures. I need to mount some so the trailer doesn't do a wheelie when unhooked. I also want to figure out some tailgate cables to hold up the tailgate when opened up.

Will do.

Finally order the RTT and Awning. Can't wait!

Chili

Explorer
Ordered the stabilizer legs from Compact Camping last night as well, and already have shipping info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior