Truck/Camper Combo Payload Question

Cent

Observer
Hello experts

I am relatively new to the whole subject and have a question that I am spinning in my head for quite a while. If it is too stupid to bare (it well could be since I lack the technical background), please go on and delete the thread.

Some background:
I am planning to buy a truck and a pop up camper some time in the future. since I am relatively new out of University, money is the most influential variable in the process (spell: as cheap as possible), knowing that I won't end up with a new FWC..

Here's the question:
I see a lot of people who have a pop up camper (newer or older models) on top of a half-ton truck. How does that work in terms of payload?

As far as I understand, my calculations are as follows (e.g. a 2007 F150):

GVWR: 6950lb
Curb W.: 5300lb
-> Payload: 1600

3 Passengers: 660lb
Camper: 1000lb
-> -10lb

Keeping in mind that I learned to try to stay 30% under payload limit, this doesnt add up anywhere close to a safe number. And I haven't counted any kind of luggage or additional equipment in.

Am I missing anything? Or is there a flaw in my logic or calculations? Or is official payload just something noone cares about?

mkish

Adventurer
I think you're doing it right. Also remember to check rear axle and tire capacity, especially if you do go over the payload.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I would guess that most if not all half tons are overloaded, some 3/4 tons may fall into the same category depending on the camper.

lrike

Have a F150 with payload package giving me a payload capacity of 2603lbs. Even some f250 don't have that rating. You are doing it right with calculating payload by subtracting curb weight from GVWR. to double check my curb weight I went to a scrap metal place and weight my truck. (with a full gas tank)

GoinBoardin

Observer
You're not missing anything. Most half tons doing any heavy hauling are at capacity or well over it. Ford has an optional HD payload package that ups the GVWR to 8200lbs on later models, but generally a half ton is better equipped to tow weight than haul it. To operate 30% under the payload capacity with a camper, you'll likely need an HD truck.

ripperj

Explorer
When I priced 150s with the 8200# package, a 2500 was the same price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DVexile

Adventurer
You haven't missed anything. Most half tons with a camper are way over their payload limit when loaded for camping with passengers. As you discovered most are over the limit just with the dry camper weight and the passengers and absolutely no luggage or fancy off-road bumpers and armor.

Half-tons often have a much higher towing limit (GCWR) than their GVWR - indicating the engine can handle much more load. And most list an unbraked trailer limit of about 1000 lbs indicating they can safely brake a load quite a bit above their GVWR. Often the most obvious practical limit is the rear suspension where the stock leaf springs can't support much load. The manufacturers don't want to make the leafs stronger because that would result it a poor ride when empty which is how most half tons are driven. So many half-ton owners upgrade the rear suspension (new leafs, timbrens or air bags) and then go above GVWR.

The same all applies to most 3/4 tons as well except they aren't quite as grossly overweight right from the get go. On the flip side people are tempted to put larger campers on the 3/4 ton so you quickly get back to the same situation as a 1/2 ton.

I'm not advocating doing that, there are endless debates on forums about is it safe to go above the original GVWR and what if any consequences there are in doing that. But that is what pretty much anyone with a camper on a half ton is doing either consciously or not. As your math shows it really isn't possible to put a camper on a half ton and go camping in it without being above GVWR. With a 3/4 ton same story unless you have a really light camper (bare shell of a camper basically).

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Even with the new F150 boasting a 3000lb + payload capacity, Id have one heck of a time trusting it long term, simply due to the lack of a full float rear axle.

Because of that, Ill never go lighter duty than a 3/4 or 1-ton.

Honestly, its my ONLY gripe with the new 1/2 ton F-series.

Everything else looks fantastic.

Cent

Observer
Thank you all for the insights, that clears it up quite a bit. Plus, I'm glad to see that my first grade math is still on point! :D

XPTom

To fine tune it a little, the factory curb weight includes a tailgate and the 880 lb weight of my FWC Hawk shell included four 25 lb corner jacks, all of which were removed. Weigh master was impressed that it was 760 below gross, which is not what he usually sees when he weighs a 1500 series.

Cent

Observer
Thanks for your inputs. This means I would have to accept being slightly overloaded, even with a 3/4 ton truck.

nastav

Adventurer
We sold a 2011 tundra because there wasn't a legal or safe (IMHO) way to utilize a slide in truck camper.
Digging in on insurance questions if we caused an accident in an overloaded truck and camper combo was enough to discontinue any thoughts of exceeding the weight capacity of our truck.
No FWC or ATC....everything is just too heavy.
1 ton truck is best to open camper options up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12