Truck camping temps in September, heater?

fiddypal

Adventurer
I am going to be making my first long trip in the truck starting the 2nd week of September. Starting out east coast from NY and hopefully make it to CA and back. I have the entire month of September off to travel!

We plan on making a dash for Mt.Rushmore, chill out there for a while, then make it to CA and back.

What are the temps going to be like at night in the truck? We are sticking to a northern route, probably wont go further south than CO. Do i need to think about a heater or will sleeping bags and blankets be good enough? Also have a dog with me, depending on how cold it is he will either sleep in the cab of the truck or in the back under the shell with us.

Any general advice appreciated!

Thanks!

1stDeuce

Explorer
I'd say it shouldn't be a problem. You're on the edge of pretty late, but temps should generally be above freezing, if not decently above. Check some average weather forecasts for town along your route... ??

fiddypal

Adventurer
The googling i did said lows should be around 30*F. I have not been camping for a while so i was not sure how low a temp was bearable before heating was preferable. We can always hop in the cab and start the truck. I have remote start so i can start it up while in the bed, let the engine and cab warm then run in to warm up.

fiddypal

Adventurer
I plan on using the 3 piece army bags (green and black) minus the outer waterproof layer. I'll probably have a comforter and sheets over that. Will be sleeping on the sleeping pads with memory foam gel topper on top of that. Should that be nice and toasty?

doug720

Expedition Leader
Last September off Hwy 395 just South of Bridgeport California...Yes, it was cold!

P1090702.JPGP1090720.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4079 Resized.jpg
    IMG_4079 Resized.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears