Truck cap heating options

TFin04

Adventurer
3/4 ton truck with Leer cab height topper (carpeted):

What are some options for heating this small space? I tried a Little Buddy propane heater but it seemed to get so hot directly above the heater I was afraid of melting the carpet ceiling. Even with a CO detector inside, I'm still concerned about burning gas all night.

Are there small electric catalytic type heaters you guys have had luck with? Power is no problem parked at a campground, but what type of run time can those get from a dual battery or Jackery type setup?

I'm not looking to make the place tropical warm, just take the edge off when the nights get down to the 20's and 30's. Thanks!

GeorgeHayduke

How about a Chinese diesel heater? Externally vented so you're not breathing exhaust gases and the dry heat will help with condensation.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I second the 12V blanket. Next question-how much do you want to spend? Go with a solar gen or a gen set (or both) and an electric heater.

Diesel could be a good option, it can still smell, especially if you spill it, a real mess.

Using a swag inside will be easier to heat and insulate, that and an electric blanket should do it at 20 degrees.

Del Gue

Observer
I truck cap camped for a few years in CO and MT and used one of these with good success in fall and winter months.

Hung it from inside of canopy with thick coat hangers from the rear hatch. It could be mounted as well.

Super quiet, no smells, controllable output. Can be used at high altitude. While carbon monoxide is not produced with these, they do consume oxygen, so that is the risk. Truck beds aren’t exactly air tight and you can crack a window.

One of the best mods for canopy camping is a BedRug. Those make the space very comfortable and seemed to provide a lot of insulation in the winter.

TFin04

Adventurer
Thanks all. I do have a bed rug already. I think for my frequency and type of use the 12v blanket is the smartest first option to try. Appreciate the input!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I truck cap camped for a few years in CO and MT and used one of these with good success…olympian-wave-3-catalytic-heater…
Hung it from inside of canopy… Can be used at high altitude. While carbon monoxide is not produced with these, they do consume oxygen, so that is the risk. Truck beds aren’t exactly air tight and you can crack a window.

You shared some really good advice. It’s great to know that yours worked well at higher altitude. For years these have had a reputation of not working that well at about the 7000 foot level or above, IIRC.

It seems like they have improved the performance of these very efficient small heaters. In researching the high altitude aspect, here’s what I learned: “Camco conformedthat the Camco Olympian Wave 3 Catalytic Safety Heater, # CAM57331 will efficiently operate up to 8,000 to 9,000 feet.”

Generally, after reaching this height you will you will see that this heater will begin to not operate as well due to less oxygen in the air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998