Truck "Home Systems" Recharging from a PTO?

Deleted Member 183

I tried to do a search on this first but only came up with "goose eggs".

I been planning on getting a propane backup generator for my home in Alta California, then got to thinking that I could just get a propane generator for Casa ( she has a rack for 2x 44 lb. tanks), then "plug" the house into the truck if we had a power failure. :unsure:

It kind of makes sense given that if we were traveling in Casa... Why would we care if there was a power failure back home? My only objection to the idea was that I REALLY want to stop using propane on the truck ( we currently only use propane for the oven/stove).

That is when I thought... Why don't I design/ build a high efficiency 24v PTO generator that is geared to be it's at peek performance when the 6B Cummins is running at idle. Then I'd have more than enough power for truck home systems (like air conditioner) AND be able to plug our house into the truck when the power company goofs. Granted, we would only have enough "juice" for the important things... Like the water well, the beer fridge, and of course the mood lighting for the hookah lounge!

casa_sneekers.jpg

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have been in a lot of medium and heavy duty trucks with PTO”s and a high idle switch. All ordered like that, or done at an up fitter. Normally its to run a pump, or winch. Seems like it could be done.

joeblack5

Nice truck, what was its original use? Not sure what kind of power you are thinking. If you go DC then you could potentially modulate the rpm a bit to get more alternator output.. for that matter you could just upgrade your current alternator to a 24 volt 150 amp version. Or add a second one..From there to batteries and then inverter. Now you can draw much higher peak loads because the battery will deliver the current for the inverter and have a perfect frequency and voltage control with all the other bells and whistles.
Both our current busses have this system and then additional solar. Then we do not have PTO.
Our unimog 404 has, I have thought about this because we retrofitted a 1.9tdi motor and to make it fit without cab modifications i had to get creative on the alternator location and belt routing.. so i can draw limited power before the serpentine starts slipping.

Using a generator head would require very accurate rpm control otherwise the frequency would be all over the place..

Good luck,
Johan

Deleted Member 183

Thank you all for responding!

Hegear, you have the concept,however I am talking about a more compact, efficient system, "state of the art" ( I always balk when i am told that).

With some effort, This could work.

I've spent most of my professional life designing, developing, & prototyping MUCH more complicated systems, but now that I'm retired... It may keep me out of the local "gin bars".

PNY! Yeah, it is a commanly done "thing". Casa is 100% mechanical other than the electrical banks monitoring, the stereo, and the device my wife uses in the middle of the night when she thinks I'm asleep. For control ( of the power generation, not my wife) I can easily "plumb in" a mechanical throttle control.

Joeblack! All good points. However when I remotered Casa, I fitted the Cummins 6BTAA with a York compressor, and dual Alternators ( for home & motor banks). However, I believe that I can develop A LOT more "juice" with a PTO system.

Please keep the opinions, ideas coming!

york_2x_alt.jpg

Casa P Tanks.jpg

Truck-N-Barrels.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior