Truck-Lite vs. J.W Speaker LED Headlights

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
YOur video shows exactly what I have seen and my views on JW vs TL. JW has a bright low beam, but its like a blob, with a multi (ugly) colored ring in front of the rig and darkness behind it to the jeep. High beams from the JW are not near as good as the truck lights. The truck light low beam spreads wider with a more even light beam, and the high beam is much brighter, wider and longer than the JW. THanks for confirming what I have previously said about the two having both in my shop at the same time.

moabian

Your video would have been very useful...a year ago. Today, it's worthless. If you are going to do a valid comparison of the lights, you need to adjust them correctly and use the latest versions. It appears that you used the old, discontinued version of the JW Speaker lights...and were either standing in front of your Jeep or had them adjusted way too high. With the Evo2 lights, I see NO color fringing from the driver's position. The JW beam pattern in your video looks nothing like that on my JW Speaker Evo2 lights, and suspiciously like the discontinued version...on both the high and low beams. The high beam on the Evo2 lights is simply amazing...totally different from the high beam shown in your video. As for the Trucklites, the bizarre patterns in the beam would make them completely unacceptable to me. I've had 2 versions of the JW Speakers and could not be happier with the new Evo2's, which are light years ahead of the earlier version.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

I have not seen the evo 2 yet. In person. But the photos I have seen in fact did have the brown blob at the bottom of the beam. That being said, They are probably right in front of the rig therefore not visible from the drivers seat. I have no "artifacts" in my truck lights besides the "x" that you only see on objects close up.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Your video would have been very useful...a year ago. Today, it's worthless. If you are going to do a valid comparison of the lights, you need to adjust them correctly and use the latest versions. It appears that you used the old, discontinued version of the JW Speaker lights...and were either standing in front of your Jeep or had them adjusted way too high. With the Evo2 lights, I see NO color fringing from the driver's position. The JW beam pattern in your video looks nothing like that on my JW Speaker Evo2 lights, and suspiciously like the discontinued version...on both the high and low beams. The high beam on the Evo2 lights is simply amazing...totally different from the high beam shown in your video. As for the Trucklites, the bizarre patterns in the beam would make them completely unacceptable to me. I've had 2 versions of the JW Speakers and could not be happier with the new Evo2's, which are light years ahead of the earlier version.
This is correct, sir.

The EVO-2 raised the bar.
The EVO-2J raises it higher still.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...er-Model-8700-J-LED-headlight-for-JK-Wrangler
Nothing better out there for a JK. Plug and play, no flicker.

Trucklites consume less power and cost less though. And are much better than stock.
That makes them well worth considering.

MTSN

Explorer
While I love my JW Evo 2s, I've seen the TLs and think they're a good solution for those not wanting to spend a ton. I would buy the JWs all day long because I love them, but if I didn't place a high priority on buying the absolute best on certain items (headlights, tires, motorcycle boots, TVs are a couple others in that list) I could see myself being satisfied. Anything is better than stock, and each price point seems to be relative to the quality of the product you get which is in itself pretty amazing.

Timgco

Adventurer
I'd like to see the Model of each light listed.
EVO 1 EVO 2 EVO2J
TruckLite version
etc.
Looking at the JW beam pattern, they are for sure the EVO1's. As already stated, the EVO 2's are a bug step up.
Also looking at the TL beam pattern, it doe not look like the new heated version pattern. The color looks off too.

So I'm not sure if it's editing or just camera. It's a tough comparison to do for sure.

kam

Observer
Hi,

thanks for all the feedback!!! Yes it's evo1, says in the video right at the beginning ;) I am trying to get somebody with Evo2 in and do a comparison as well.

The video is completely unedited raw footage. I must say the J.W speaker were brighter and you can't see the dark area infront of the Jeep from inside the car. Agree on the high beam, the Evo1 are terrible with high beam. Should bother people with LED bars tho.

I am looking forward to compare different Evo

kojackJKU

That's exactly what I found. I had a supercharged Harley with their daymaker headlight, IE JW speaker evo1. The low beam was very nice but the high beam was terrible. my truck lite in the jeep was way better on high beam. But as others said, anything is better than the stock crap.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hi,

thanks for all the feedback!!! Yes it's evo1, says in the video right at the beginning ;) I am trying to get somebody with Evo2 in and do a comparison as well.

The video is completely unedited raw footage. I must say the J.W speaker were brighter and you can't see the dark area infront of the Jeep from inside the car. Agree on the high beam, the Evo1 are terrible with high beam. Should bother people with LED bars tho.

I am looking forward to compare different Evo
Where are you located?

moabian

I see you edited the video to show that it is Evo1. The version I watched did not say that...nor did it have the lights down in the lower left corner.

So is the beam pattern on the J version different? Or did they just add the halos? Personally, I think I prefer the lights without halos.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I see you edited the video to show that it is Evo1. The version I watched did not say that...nor did it have the lights down in the lower left corner.

So is the beam pattern on the J version different? Or did they just add the halos? Personally, I think I prefer the lights without halos.
Same pattern. The J version has the addition of a DRL feature, the half halo.
During low or highbeam operation, the half-halo is on at low intensity. The half-halo is off for DRL and the Highbeam runs at low power.
Conspicuity lighting, DRLs, = statistically fewer accidents....
For this updated product to be sold through the Jeep dealerships, it had to have DRL capability.

Last edited:

Warhead

Adventurer
I have trucklites, I have the non heated version. When I purchased them the heated version was not out yet. Driving in snow/ice is the only complaint I have with the trucklites. I do think the newer JW's are a better light just not worth their price tag IMO.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
If you get a chance when you update the video with the Evo2 you should try to include the Petersen and VisionX. When we did a local demo it was interesting to see the subtle differences between all of them, particularly the ones that shared similar design strategies (Trucklight v Petersen and JW Speaker v VisionX). At the time I was in the market for LED headlights and could afford any of them. I ended up going with the Petersen set due to the performance/$$. The artifacts are still present in the Petersen design, but they are not nearly as noticable. If the VisionX didn't have that ridiculous BMW-style halo I would have bought the pre-production set used for the demo on the spot. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears