Truck prep for the Dempster Highway

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Apologies if this has been covered, a search didn't find anything. I am asking for advice on what I need to do to prepare my truck for a trip from Minnesota to Tuktoyaktuk in August/September 2019.

I have a 2012 Ram 2500, 5.7l gas, standard cab, 4X4 that is stock. It carries a FWC Grandby, tipping the scales at < 8000 lbs with 2 weeks gear and supplies. I average from 12.5 to 14.5 MPG with a 32 gal tank.

I have read through the three trip reports I found and looked at the pictures but didn't find anything on vehicle prep.

Thanks in advance,
jim

ytadvexp

The dempster is 750 km's of gravel. (1 way)U WILL need tires in VERY good condition. A good all terrain will b fine. Make sure u have a full size spare in very good shape. U will need bug gear.( screen hat) B sure to have warm clothes including winter boots and coat as late aug and sept can see snow and the nites can get pretty chilly. If the road is dry, it will b very dusty. When u meet semi-truks, slow own and move over but dont stop. (If somebody's in ur dust trail, they wont see u) if road's wet, it will b very slippery. There r sections that have literally talcum powder on the road and when it gets wet, it's worse than ice. Again, when u meet a big-truk slow rite down n move over.(b careful as mud can and will pull u into the ditch). U can fuel at eagle plains lodge(km372)and ft mcpherson(km550) and Inuvik. There is a ferry just before mcpherson and across the mackenzie.(km630) As of this time I know of NO real services in tuk so fill ur tanks and U in inuvik.
Keep in mind the only services(limited) are at eagle plains, ft mcpherson and Inuvik.
Fuel will crowd $2 a liter in the summer.(yes, that will b $7 a gallon).
Prepare for the worst, respect the big truks.(they are king up there) Prepare to be wowed as the scenery is epic.
ENJOY!

ytadvexp

Your fuel economy WILL suffer as it is all gravel.
Generaly, most vehicles slow rite down so as not to throw rocks thru each others windshield.
There are quite a few pull outs and gravel pits along the way that 1 could camp out at but park up wind from hiway as u will get dusted out.
I will try and post more stuff as I remember.

Explorerinil

Observer
I looked there are a few detailed videos on YouTube about the dempster highway. Looks like allot of fun and very scenic.

Explorerinil

Observer
I just read up on that road and watched a few videos, if I were you I would bring warm clothes, first aid equipment, a full size spare or two, water a few extra fuel cans and make sure your vehicle is caught up on maintenance. I think this may be a place I need to check out sometime. The scenery looks amazing!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
JaSAn,

Your truck will make it up the Dempster and back with absolutely no problems just the way it came off the assembly line. I have made the drive from once form Maryland and once from Las Vegas in the last few years. If you plan on running stock tires bring 2 extra full size spares, if you have odd size wheels: anything other than 15" or 17" rim, go to a local used tire place and pick up 2 extra tires just in case. I would run ATs or MTs with a minimum 3ply sidewall and E rating if possible.

scP0Za4elGkpnvbfr0NtuWuWREXrPcDnIN7_WCrU_8R_UBZDMseWGFPTJR7vwScW4FtZwSmhbZ2QBtimmRkQ7S_6A15OMcyx9CGDlCO3BWMr1G81gJeIIBU47t7ut2kBsuGJZf_IgJJNauA66TrJ2EuPPmLCUwrsLl8SSKs-XGuDXffWOfRRzQ8cCUO7sPJvonIwVNmrjgcZn-dj-VLssW-U8gcyJf9zFeHBSjXtGF-nIttF6sdbfyiDmwgUm5ZFymGFdzp5TNMAAolXAJbWmDHk-kpiSj-7ETtA8QpygsYsITf7RAtCYkWknrrdz9sk6e6hYoMbPPs33TS70wXAoaIJaLF1Oi23EE0aTaix1ez3QPV0NWRXh0tFHLz2VTySjMIRwdyIcMIM-CWbHxQOpMckiXJlBIREdi3iJagE3m7aD-BxdzhlW2QFaQDrxdeevogLMavTH0FI0IC1q30B6D16F0Mm2VTt6r9f0Tx_PknlQPK41vCw2-l84JoUOkcqatETjZ_5GcTxdY4p_o0z9vxl8b9v1aJzipPUj-39N5-36yzizjwsBXJvOb0lS2KCSMoS4iAWE9I94UhFNVwO76uTgSvLWt9ddLpQFhmobZgIy_8n4XJVl2ibXQHdL0V-iby2kHacfaqqsmcqWkb_I4XW=w1165-h874-no

BF Goodrich ATs with 15k miles on them, got this when I pulled over to let a big rig by.

2bcSylmxIkV4uNIC2WPfT9Bv5m9xot8ctbUDQYhV7XkldIlNyVVPrx8bmpLyJekbuxQlX1cz2qo_WXfsI4klwQKKBCpOhzk0n2m2ggb-B0SmyQyzITHuGhd6a30a8Yj9wV9OXYVFyRLDx2dmg0bIpi2_55mNl8Hn3bRw434OkqYs2VU-O2kaxJEoj2zN_aAaxQMGAKPYWoJNkKvv0RSSmFl2AI2qSixqWXEN8jgR6K1L37kKFeVgr-iKXXFlZoqx9co1OM5NHDHXJAc7bRAHHgG9dXNj_7CiD89f1kTsBJw4AA5Ikuajq30_SM7XSJIPiUkPNwJ7hKEXAUMjMsDZYvybj1S1xffEDxv6uBhKNqsXkbYNJXQXSPXc5lLQUNEpxOuib4HdOOCa66NTOeg0KnKE5b-62D4kwqce1DgU-5-_oBxJz3zkow8sTMG3kkM-7KvYxzFoBMe67A2v6M2ZgyEj0zZSFszAn9OLLyKAli8vRJx-WS-Org9_iiEw0rVKJJmAK-kpTTiI8C5PO-0K_lG8aMEYv8doM5eQqsu1CZc8SPceFEw8_PegFDfyiaKKm0wBicNlk2WBOYmZJvNaJGvL1VcIX2jTYrKpgWpcw194gxKgGM6fzet2dCGIeOt38_yVGTsEvEzNaDG4XS9Hze4v=w1165-h874-no

Slowed down from 45mph to change it.

Fuel: pick up at least 2 preferably 3 or 4 Attwood 12 gallon auxillary fuel tanks to transfer fuel into your main tank, way easier with a quick connect and a pvc hose than holding 5-6gallon cans on the side of the road. At $6+ per gallon they will pay for themselves after bypassing just one gas station.

Attwoood 12 gallon fuel tank

yTG5LFfewjVnBQ8oMZ9tg5YD-VqV0MdCM9b_pqJrEX_wyvSkAUGt3idwgX1SaZYSTFS0IkDU8YWn5kkDG-Ti9zb-LqaYdeKZCgkHQgeypCjqKS08ln2xaJ-Mk7HVWvRdqmXd-JgwdY8LRSDsBiqna7s01llWV9D_9_ZNFhjOVGBre5pDhy4LIgzt3uO7NXE-g2wwN7N_xJBofCD_Qmz4ELR97KOLBY7cX_tZHJ1bFrniPdjiwVHZuueq79y19jfbx_yPIRuiPIb_atPx1-eW8J9Vb7spvxCnQ1r5b7QtjqOkxpeYqzi-O95qAdg_Buk37I_cy6Bb_YuI-I3FuUAgtWQNSt8tOmzbTuV2KNZqT4B7dIdYSLHCOdwTx8nDFnk6rWyUne8Cf2BkMBmXuy8IkiTJXliUpRJDWLM2J_1BYGubY1HJKJ3LcyFIE3nuJmfckAP4MP34_VhulLLWZeF6bREXIFp1HDP9HEcyNpEBHTbzXfSZaoOZvOHgHrPJ0vUS9HQy1Ya0PvGJtUuqXv5vc2TaR5XKWfWbdmtQ7lmlA71xBi2bdoWjOBDuZRGGdeDW54dFC_pKCu8NqliutwHhmxKlJdIS2Y7cM7fNomIGpJ66GIyNNeTaW29dYpSFhbEmP_OmlnBdtDuRns0IafLBLYk=w1165-h874-no

This was June 4th on the Dalton just south of Deadhorse, not fun when its 30 degrees out even if you are from Minnesota. Second time I drove up there I used the 12-gallon fuel tanks.

Finally budget for a new windshield when you get back home, you will get it peppered with cracks if you are lucky, and cracked beyond repair if you are not. Big rigs run the Dempster and the Dalton like no ones business, give them room.

Finally the most important item to get is the MILEPOST! Its the northern road Bible. It has all the resources you will even need along the drive the second you cross into Canada.

Milepost Alaska atlas/trip planer

Have a great trip and post lots of pictures.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
We drove to Tuk last June/July with our truck and FWC.
Based on our trip these are a few observations.
- mudflaps, mudflaps, mudflaps....without them you will destroy the undersides of your camper
- we had new E rated Ridge Grapplers and while they did show good wear by the time we got home, they were fine, no punctures, flats, etc. I carried 2 full size spare wheels... I wouldn't do that again, a single matching full size spare w/new tire and a compressor and plug kit should be fine
- their is fuel in Tuk. Last July fuel was 1.60 a litre in Inuvik and in Tuk, it was more expensive in spots on the Alaska Hwy.
- longest distance between fuel is appx 360km from outside of Dawson City to Eagle Plains. That is what you need to be prepared for, fuel wise.
- I used a 1/2 tank of fuel to make it the 150 km from Inuvik to Tuk. The road is new and was soft with deep fresh gravel. I ran it in 4Hi for many sections of that 150km.
- our windshield survived without a single injury. I slowed down to a crawl anytime a big haul truck came our way.
- you will pass a lot of cyclists and motorcyclists, please be respectful of them and slow to a crawl when passing cyclists.
- I took a complete complement of tools for the trip, along with a bottle jack, hi-lift, a pair of jack stands, wooden blocks for a lift base, extra washer fluid, oil,et all.
- I took 14 gallons of extra fuel for my very thirsty Tundra, and we never needed any of it. I always filled up at no less thna 1/2 tank and we were always fine.
- bottled water was by far the most expensive commodity we purchased. A case of 12 bottles of water cost me around $20 in Inuvik. (We took a lot of bottled water with us, and we handed it out to cyclists along the way. We were even flagged down by one cyclist who had way underestimated his water requirements)
- the town campsite in Inuvik is really nice. We camped on the point in Tuk. I hear they are now making it a proper campground with facilities and their will be a fee to camp there.
- hopefully the Burger Shack is back next year in Tuk. Have some cahs on hand and make sure ot but a muskox burger, they are fantastic.
- buy a copy of The Milepost, and don't worry so much about topo maps on a gps and stuff like that. Once you get North of Dawson City their are really only a couple roads to take, and when on The Dempster their is only that road heading North.

- Have Fun.

41334464_10155482682516637_2998811432390230016_o.jpg

73datsun

I did it on motorcycle a few years ago. It's mentioned above, but is not to be missed, if it rains be EXTREMELY careful. They coat the gravel with a substance to keep dust clouds down. The downfall is that when wet it becomes extremely extremely slippery.

On my trip to the arctic circle, of course it rained all day, I saw, a vehicle go off the road, a 4WD tourist econoline roll over, and a rabbi in a town car hit an oncoming motorcyclist (he was remarkably ok). Also got passed by the Expo Overland team going 45mph with like 8 million lumens of LED light bars.

If you pull over to deal with a breakdown or otherwise, practice bear safety. It's not uncommon to see grizzly in the area (I saw one on my trip).

The trip back south was completely dry, the road was an entirely different situation and I had no issues at all.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
73datsun reminded me of the calcium chloride. Yes, they put it on The Dempster to keep the dust down. Whne it gets wet, it's as slick as doggie doo. You also should wash your vehicle thoroughly once you get back to Dawson City. You don't want that stuff staying on your vehicle. I missed a few spots under my sliders, and once we got home I honestly had to use a screwdriver and hammer to chisel the solidified mud/dirt/calcium chloride concotion off.

FYI. Make sure to stop for a cinnamon bun here. They are the called "The Cinnamon Bun Center of the Galactic Cluster" for good reason.
http://tetsariver.com/gift-shop/

J!m

I think the main points were covered well:

Mud flaps (that work- many OEM ones suck)
Two mounted spares
Well managed fuel situation
Emergency food water and shelter
Bear spray if it’s not very snowy
All maintenance done at a high standard (don’t just check the oil and run) do a comprehensive check, like a “service II for BMW.
Proper clothing- layer and be prepared for sub zero even if it s not in the forecast.

For those with a Jeep or Defender, when you slow for the big trucks, place your hand on the inside of the windshield for outward pressure. (And wear eye protection at all times) to limit the damage to the windshield. I receive a huge implosion that might have blinded my rider and I if we didn’t have glasses on.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Thanks to all who have answered so far; keep 'em coming.

CrazyDrei - How did you shred a tire like that? My sidewall patching kung-**** isn't quite up to that.

Mudflaps - OEM won't work? are thick rubber or thinner plastic (sheds mud) better?
I have OEM tube running boards.​

Mud - slippery is imprecise, is it:
Utah red mud slippery (teflon tires on butter)? Absolutely no traction or control.​
Glare ice - very little traction or directional control?​
Hardpack snow/ice - very careful steering, accelerating, braking? Think 'walking on eggshells'.​
Frozen lake - reduced traction, fishtailing, and severe understeer?​

Tires - current Cooper AT3s will have ~ 25,000 miles on them, 0.400 tread depth.
Should I go new?​
AT, hybrid (ST MAXX) or mud tire?​

jgardiner - thanks for the links. That will keep me busy until my map and Milepost arrive.

Bear safety - boat horn and bear spray (2 cans?). I'll see how big of a hassle it is to bring a shotgun into Canada.

Trikebubble - thanks for the detailed post. Being from Minnesota I am well acquainted with Calcium Chloride; we like are roads well seasoned.

I have ordered a 1:4,000,000 map of the Yukon, Northwest Territories, N. Alberta, and N. BC; also 2018 Milepost. I will be spending January and February planning so I will have more questions as I learn more.

Thanks again to all.
jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger