Truck security

madmax718

Explorer
I've been toying with the idea of truck security- that is, when your gone for the day, or few days. Most contents are replaceable, but the truck itself can lead to a whole slew of problems. Not as much of an issue if your way out there, but I've read stories about even some of us on this board who had their salt and pepper stolen, in the woods!

Problem 1: Attracting attention. Im trying to keep the truck as low key as possible. Short of this, my prior trucks had little in the way of electronics. I used a 3 part system:

1. Fuel pump cut off switch (hidden). crank all you want, but the fuel won't be supplied.
2. Locking collar with pad lock. It was a chevy thing. Weak key collars allowed someone with a screw driver the ability to just start your car and crack the steering lock. Using the collar protected the key, and the collar.
3. Autoclub- locking the brake pedal meant they were not stopping the truck easily (could still use ebrake).

my current truck, and most modern ones, have electronic keys- it requires a chipped key for the car to start. While still prudent to do these things, is it still necessary? I guess they could always swap the factory ECU with a new chip and jimmy the lock- but its definitely a lot more work.

The "Club" and club plate, protect the air bag from being taken- given a few minutes, and some effort its still douable, but not as easily. Plus, it requires more tools.

Auto Club- lock the brake pedal.

What are you guys doing to protect your truck?

GR8ADV

Explorer
the bat mobile has these. they can break a window, but they're likely not getting in. can't even use bolt cutters :Wow1:

IMG_1108.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I like the Club - big visible deterrent. Would you rather have someone break in and then not be able to start the truck... or simply look through the window, see the Club on the steering wheel and move on to easier pickings?

GR8ADV

Explorer
I like the Club - big visible deterrent. Would you rather have someone break in and then not be able to start the truck... or simply look through the window, see the Club on the steering wheel and move on to easier pickings?

Ok I know the OP is talking truck security, but it puts a damper on my day/trip when they take the radio, gps, cb, hamm, insurance and registration paperwork, ipod, laptop, sunglasses and anything else of value I just happen to have in the back seat by simply breaking a piece of glass and unlocking the door.

One vote for glass being a crappy security device.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I've been toying with the idea of truck security- that is, when your gone for the day, or few days. Most contents are replaceable, but the truck itself can lead to a whole slew of problems. Not as much of an issue if your way out there, but I've read stories about even some of us on this board who had their salt and pepper stolen, in the woods!

Problem 1: Attracting attention. Im trying to keep the truck as low key as possible. Short of this, my prior trucks had little in the way of electronics. I used a 3 part system:

1. Fuel pump cut off switch (hidden). crank all you want, but the fuel won't be supplied.
Bad idea. How many times have I had to repair a No-start condition and it was the fuel switch, especially alarm system fuel switches. Just pull your fuel pump relay whenever you park in the city or abandon your car in a rural area.

2. Locking collar with pad lock. It was a chevy thing. Weak key collars allowed someone with a screw driver the ability to just start your car and crack the steering lock. Using the collar protected the key, and the collar.
Yup. I replace wheels, clocksprings, stalks, and ignition switches a lot for customers with that clever contraption. They do a lot of wear and tear on your controls. Any pro can snap those off in seconds.

3. Autoclub- locking the brake pedal meant they were not stopping the truck easily (could still use ebrake).
A few swift kicks and that thing is toast. Allthough, as you said, just use the Ebrake.

my current truck, and most modern ones, have electronic keys- it requires a chipped key for the car to start. While still prudent to do these things, is it still necessary? I guess they could always swap the factory ECU with a new chip and jimmy the lock- but its definitely a lot more work.

The "Club" and club plate, protect the air bag from being taken- given a few minutes, and some effort its still douable, but not as easily. Plus, it requires more tools.

Auto Club- lock the brake pedal.

What are you guys doing to protect your truck?

The steering wheel Club is useless. Steering wheels are plastic and readily available at junk yards everywhere.

I travel for a living. All that security stuff is nonsense. Common sense works better:
-avoid urban areas. I can't be more PC than that. You get the idea.
-avoid the Expo Portal look. Keep your truck normal looking. Some of the people on this site have trucks that scream "$$$$$MONEY!!!$$$$$". Lose the asinine CB and Ham antennas when you ain't using them. Keep your GPS and laptop out of sight when parked.
-tint your windows. Use a sunshade. If the police give you problems, politely tell them that if they were doing their Fn jobs you wouldn't have to tint your windows.
-if you abandon your truck on a rural road, like backpackers and kayakers often do, then make sure it's in a normal spot that won't draw attention. We often park at Wallmart and then call a local taxi to take us to the Trailhead 30miles away and hike back to my truck.
-if you abandon your truck, and/or trailer on a rural road. A simple digital game camera placed in the woods will record every person that stops to look at your ride. Make sure it has a view of the road for plate #'s.
-GPS tracking devices.
-keep your insurance up to date
-Most car thefts are from legit, but shady, towing companies and garages.
-Most items stolen from cars are simple smash and grabs.
-Jeeps and olde FJ's will be broken into. Not good expo vehicles if they're out of sight for long.
-Dress like a badA$$, eye contact with everyone every time you park. Noone F's with me when I'm in my black t-shirt and Khakis. But when I'm in a hawaiien T shirt all the beggers want a handout. Don't look like a yuppie tourist.
-Cammo. My F350 looks just like a white Park truck or a regular pipeline service truck. Noone thinks much of my truck being parked in the woods somewhere. Avoid family man looking trucks. IE: F150, Silverado, Tundra with running boards, family man metallic brown paint, stick figure families.
-American Tourists are the stupidest and most nieve of all tourists. The easiest to rip off and steal from. Research WHY, research HOW, research how to make yourself harder to spot.
-make sure nothing inside your ride glows at night. No phones, no laptops, no blinky radio buttons, nothing. A glowing interior is the first one to get broken into at any Miami hotel.
-don't go to Miami.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I like the idea of a game camera in the woods pointed at your rig, had not thought of that but makes a lot of sense.

southpier

Expedition Leader
.....security stuff is nonsense. Common sense works better....

where can i buy this?

...Avoid family man looking trucks. IE: F150, Silverado, Tundra with running boards, family man metallic brown paint, stick figure families....

what do i do if my wife and children's feelings are hurt because i scraped them off the back window?

madmax718

Explorer
The steering wheel Club is useless. Steering wheels are plastic and readily available at junk yards everywhere.

I travel for a living. All that security stuff is nonsense. Common sense works better:
-avoid urban areas. I can't be more PC than that. You get the idea.
-avoid the Expo Portal look. Keep your truck normal looking. Some of the people on this site have trucks that scream "$$$$$MONEY!!!$$$$$". Lose the asinine CB and Ham antennas when you ain't using them. Keep your GPS and laptop out of sight when parked.
-tint your windows. Use a sunshade. If the police give you problems, politely tell them that if they were doing their Fn jobs you wouldn't have to tint your windows.
-if you abandon your truck on a rural road, like backpackers and kayakers often do, then make sure it's in a normal spot that won't draw attention. We often park at Wallmart and then call a local taxi to take us to the Trailhead 30miles away and hike back to my truck.
-if you abandon your truck, and/or trailer on a rural road. A simple digital game camera placed in the woods will record every person that stops to look at your ride. Make sure it has a view of the road for plate #'s.
-GPS tracking devices.
-keep your insurance up to date
-Most car thefts are from legit, but shady, towing companies and garages.
-Most items stolen from cars are simple smash and grabs.
-Jeeps and olde FJ's will be broken into. Not good expo vehicles if they're out of sight for long.
-Dress like a badA$$, eye contact with everyone every time you park. Noone F's with me when I'm in my black t-shirt and Khakis. But when I'm in a hawaiien T shirt all the beggers want a handout. Don't look like a yuppie tourist.
-Cammo. My F350 looks just like a white Park truck or a regular pipeline service truck. Noone thinks much of my truck being parked in the woods somewhere. Avoid family man looking trucks. IE: F150, Silverado, Tundra with running boards, family man metallic brown paint, stick figure families.
-American Tourists are the stupidest and most nieve of all tourists. The easiest to rip off and steal from. Research WHY, research HOW, research how to make yourself harder to spot.
-make sure nothing inside your ride glows at night. No phones, no laptops, no blinky radio buttons, nothing. A glowing interior is the first one to get broken into at any Miami hotel.
-don't go to Miami.
Some good advice. Thanks!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Gotta disagree with the bad azz act, if you look like an azz it could be an invitation for problems, especially when they have their car full of their bandana buddies with those things that make loud noises. But it sounded cool. Besides, real bad azzes don't act the part, be aware of the surroundings without bringing attention to yourself. Keeping a low profile, being low key and appearing unconcerned is much better at avoiding trouble, IMO.

How long can the Doberman stay in your vehicle?

A pro thief doesn't want attention, noise or a difficult target, they want in, and be gone. If they see a "club" on the wheel they will go to the next vehicle. If they see an alarm sticker they might keep looking.

Some good stuff by Buliwyf in the woods or in stealth mode, can't even light up a smoke! OTH, in the lighted parking at the hospital you may not need to hide. Again, keep a low profile and don't attract attention, I have no idea how the guys in the MOGs do that. Guess they are high enough you can't look in. Dark limo tent is great, so are curtains. I use to do investigations, my "spy on them van" was blacked out with a curtain behind the drivers seat. I was sitting in Swope Park in KC at night (not a good place to be) the van was dark blue. I was sitting inside with my camera running and a couple guys came up to the window right in front of me and cupped their hands (have no idea why, like to shade their eyes at night) and looked in. They didn't see me two feet away, or the 9mm on my desk or the 12 gauge in my hand! They just walked away thinking it belonged to someone they knew. LOL

I've done a lot of stealth parking in cities and in the woods. Different tactics, but the main thing is not to be noticed in the first place.

Used magnetic signs, not so much for security but as an excuse to be somewhere. Sunset Realty. Sunset Home Inspections. Dale's Plumbing. Lone Pine Cemetery. Sometimes being in an area where you don't belong brings attention from those you don't want to meet regardless of the color of your vehicle. Used them on my gold F-150 with running boards and a cap cover too, never a problem. It's called pretexting, appearing to be someone you are not. Lowe's isn't going to complain if there is a Dale's Plumbing truck in the lot overnight. If there is an obvious reason for you to be somewhere, there are fewer questions and most won't give it a second thought. :)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I use to do investigations.

Used magnetic signs, not so much for security but as an excuse to be somewhere. Sunset Realty. Sunset Home Inspections. Dale's Plumbing. Lone Pine Cemetery.

Holy cow! Jim Rockford is on ExPo! Still got your business card printing machine in the trunk?? :elkgrin:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Now, that's silly, a van doesn't have a trunk!:coffeedrink:

I never did divorce or domestic cases, only business fraud, theft, medical fraud and scams.

My, cell charger, computer and printer were on my desk, with my coffee pot and camera and other gear in the van. Shorten the legs on a folding table and cranked my desk chair all the way down, ice chest, snacks, I was pretty comfortable inside. Porta-potti when necessary. (poor Rockford, LOL)

90% of all thefts are crimes of opportunity, anything you can do to deny that opportunity helps. Wrap a chain around the steering wheel and lay the ends under the seat. While that is crude, it's another step that takes time to defeat the assumed lock and chain deterrent.

Hidden GPS, trackers, gas shut offs are all good, but the vehicle may already be gone. Hidden deterrents help secure or salvage what they leave behind, to be a deterrent the security devices must be obvious or assumed by observation.

Pros can defeat factory alarms. Use a custom switch panel with your aux toys and put a blinking led on it that says in larger letters (so it can be read from the outside) Alarms Armed. not alarm, but alarms as in more than one.

Actual physical security is a pain, security bars inside, screw unused doors shut, actually chain stuff down. Empty the vehicle or hide everything or as much as you can. Valuables must be out of sight. There is the issue of seeing a well secured vehicle and then the question is "what are they locking up in there" the more determined ones may think it's a better target, but if they can't see anything to make it worth their while, I've never had anyone attempt to break in. I've stayed in some pretty rough areas, Detroit, NJ, PA, Dallas/Houston, New Orleans and rural areas where the locals were packing and didn't care for strangers. But never in Miami! :)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm glad you're old enough to know who Jimmy Rockfish is! Would have been wasted humor on a lot of the younger crowd. Darn, now I'm making myself sound old. Which I'm not. I swear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears