Trucks: Mid size, full size

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Cute-Ute's, like Subaru's, Jeep Renegades, Rav4, etc. No trucks, no body on frame, no low range (except maybe the 2-door Wrangler?). Subaru used to have the Baja, which I thought was a really cool car. Wish they still made them.

The bastardized wagon? It got a reduced payload and lost a seat only 2x2 due to the loss in structural strength when they hacked the back lid off the wagon. Honda makes a slightly better hacked wagon today

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Well, that little silver Mazda Pickup in my picture above got 37 MPG on a regular basis.
Of course, it had manual steering, manual crank windows, no AC, an engine that made about 96hp tops, 14" wheels, a single wall bed, no ABS, no crumple zones, no air bags, and it was so slow on the freeway that I called it "The Silver Slug" (because it would never be mistaken for a bullet!)
So, my 37mpg fuel miser would not be legal to sell in the US now (because of the lack of safety equipment) and the sluggish engine and Spartan accommodations would make it unlikely to sell in the modern truck market. COULD they make a "small truck" like that? Probably, but I doubt that anyone would buy it.

Drive a new canyon/colorado 2.8 at the same speeds as the silver slug and I bet it can do 40mpg. It will be interesting if Fords hybrid transit connect due out in a yr or two can crack 40mpg? My wifes big heavy Fusion Energy does 80mpg all summer and mid 60's all winter.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The bastardized wagon? It got a reduced payload and lost a seat only 2x2 due to the loss in structural strength when they hacked the back lid off the wagon. Honda makes a slightly better hacked wagon today
No, you're thinking of the BRAT. Made from about 1978 - 82 or thereabouts. Had "jump seats" in the back to classify it as a passenger vehicle so it wasn't subject to the "chicken tax."
brat.jpg
The Baja was a similar idea but much more recently, based on the 3rd generation Legacy platform. I think they were introduced in 2002 and dropped for good in 2006:

baja.jpg
The Baja was a 4 door, making it much more practical. It also had a "pass through" from the bed to the interior, similar in some respects the Chevy Avalanche's "mid gate" that allowed for the carrying of long items (or if neccessary for sleeping in the back.)
I think the biggest problem with the Baja was timing. It was introduced in 2002 when gas was still relatively cheap. If it had been introduced later, around 2007 - 2008 when gas prices spiked, it might have done better but by then it had been cut from the Subaru lineup.
Like many similar short-lived vehicles it has something of a cult following today.

Clutch

<---Pass
The Baja was a 4 door, making it much more practical. It also had a "pass through" from the bed to the interior, similar in some respects the Chevy Avalanche's "mid gate" that allowed for the carrying of long items (or if neccessary for sleeping in the back.)
I think the biggest problem with the Baja was timing. It was introduced in 2002 when gas was still relatively cheap. If it had been introduced later, around 2007 - 2008 when gas prices spiked, it might have done better but by then it had been cut from the Subaru lineup.
Like many similar short-lived vehicles it has something of a cult following today.

We have a client with one of those, which has a topper on it....why not just get the wagon, if yer gonna put a topper on it... :confused: *chuckle*

Did Subarus of those years get all that good of gas mileage? Thought they were in the low 20's? Not much better than a Tacoma.

p nut

butter

It had the exact same payload as the Outback, which was around 1,000lbs max. Not much, but wouldn't expect it to be with the chassis and frankly how small the bed was. I still thought it was a pretty cool vehicle that has good utility factor.

We have a client with one of those, which has a topper on it....why not just get the wagon, if yer gonna put a topper on it... :confused: *chuckle*

Did Subarus of those years get all that good of gas mileage? Thought they were in the low 20's? Not much better than a Tacoma.

Same reason you have a topper on your truck?? :D MPG is supposed to be high 20's (HWY). My Tacoma never got better than 21MPG, so it's a pretty significant difference.

Clutch

<---Pass
Same reason you have a topper on your truck?? :D MPG is supposed to be high 20's (HWY). My Tacoma never got better than 21MPG, so it's a pretty significant difference.

Ha ha! hey! at least I have 6' feet and the topper turns into a camper! Not sure what you could put in there other than groceries and a small gym bag. :p
-------------
*clearing throat* :D HWY is good, averages not so much, just a little better than a Taco but not by much. I average 18-19...HWY I can squeak out 21-22.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/baja

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan