Trying a new challenge with a 1000k freelander

bloodycape

Observer
I think a bigger issue than swapping a TDI in there would be trying to get it smog legal in the California. I was also thinking about getting one as I have seen some in great shape without motors and rust free going for $3k, but in my research not many have done motor swaps(at least not with a non-Rover motor). I have also seen a few vids of Freelanders doing a road where the FL was having some trouble, which had me thinking again. But, your thread and that really good price has me thinking maybe I should get a Freelander as an expo rig. Damn.

psykokid

Explorer
Just the general motor swap laws apply and here in the peoples republic of California that requires a trip to the BAR referee. Motor has to be from the same model year or newer car (it can be a different make) and retain all of the smog equipment that was on the donor car originally. I've done my fair share of VR6 swaps in the MK2 golf/jettas and 16V swaps into MK1 rabbits/roccos. If you go before the BAR referee and dont have your things in order you are SOL.. When you go in they basically do a functional test (ie smog check) and make sure that everything is working there and then they do a visual check and make sure everything that is supposed to be there on the donor motor for emissions purposes is there. If it checks out they print you out a sticker and its usually applied to the door jamb near the original vin sticker, though i've seen it on strut towers before as well.. From that point on you just take your car to a regular smog place and they would do a diesel smog on the TDI motored Freelander which just consists of a visual check to makre sure everything is there and functioning right as well as passing the EVAP test. Doing a legal motor swap in CA is really a matter of making sure you cross all your t's and dot all your i's before you take it in to be tested.

Daryl

Adventurer
(it can be a different make)

Where people seem to get into trouble on these things is insisting on using motors that were never federalized. Since there are perfectly acceptable (size/power) diesels for a Freelander that have been it's obviously the path of least resistance for CA.

In laxer emissions states and especially on older vehicles this may not apply. It really depends on the state. Many of the EPA rules (not laws...they are rules) governing this are prefaced with language along the lines of "it is recommended that the states...." (big difference in meaning from "required").

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
What a couple of jerks. seriously.

He's not MAKING a decision. He's MADE a decision and decided to share the fun he's having with a very low-budget vehicle.

What's it to you WHAT he does, if YOU don't like Freelanders?

Bunch of freakin' 6-year-olds.

Well lets see, he posted on a bulletin board about his project and the purpose for posting on this bulletin board is to receive feedback (otherwise, why post, right?). So based on your "rules" the only comments allowed are feel good, positive comments, not honest opinions?

FL are pieces of crap, worse than any of the other LR models (which I have owned just about one of each model - so I speak from experience). Also, if you're going to be critical of my opinions (after you complained about critical opinions posted), please read ALL of my comments posted in this thread first. Yep, I posted some critical (but honest) remarks, but I also posted some positive ones too. Don't be so sensitive.

Must be a Jeep thing....LOL

bigmack

Observer
How is the on-road handling of the Freelander, is it sporty(as in like the RR Sport or Evoque) or still suv like?

As for the TDI swap, how much tq is the stock TDI making vs this, and would the engine be lighter?

Daryl

Adventurer
How is the on-road handling of the Freelander, is it sporty(as in like the RR Sport or Evoque) or still suv like?

As for the TDI swap, how much tq is the stock TDI making vs this, and would the engine be lighter?

If it's the KV6, it's about 340 lbs. A 1.9 TDI would be a bit heavier, but we're talking 20-40 lbs wet and dressed.

As far as driving a Freelander, the two I have driven (not much, just a bit) had very nice road manners. Quite similar to an upscale Ford Escape (sorry, best I have to compare it to) and not a heavy and dead feeling as an RX350. I've never done more than dirt roads with one, so I can't speak to much more than pavement.

bigmack

Observer
Well I was thinking of going Isuzu VehiCross but its a 2dr with a semi-cramped interior has me looking at other lighter and crossover-ish off-roaders, and forgot LR made this car. Would the newer 2l TDi be a better swap vs the 1.9l or is it not worth it over the 1.9?

How is the newer Freelander 2/LR2 compare to the older model when it comes to off-roading? Thankies.

Daryl

Adventurer
How is the newer Freelander 2/LR2 compare to the older model when it comes to off-roading?

Still doesn't have low range, so I can't see how it would be useful for much. But I suppose that depends on what you want/need to do with it.

psykokid

Explorer
you can get to around 140HP / 260 FT/LBS TQ in a VW TDI with a tune on the ECU and larger injector nozzles with the stock turbo.. Do a few more mods like even larger injectors, more aggressive tune, better intake, better exhaust, larger map sensor can net you around 150HP and a stump pulling 310 FT/LBS of torque. You could probably even eek out some more with a bigger turbo.. With the KV6 you are looking at around 170HP / 175 ft/lbs and not much room to grow after that..

Like i said earlier, probably the hardest thing to do would be mate the VW engine with the Rover gearbox and im pretty sure you could have Kennedy or someone like that fab up an adapter..

bigmack

Observer
For a swap like that you wouldn't use the VW trans? I know from what I read the stock trans is not that good on the Freelander, which is a real surprise to me that the op got a one in working shape for such a good deal.

bigmack

Observer
Stock Freelander trans?

Sorry to jack the thread OP. Would be glad to see how far you can really go on the stock motor.

psykokid

Explorer
yes, but if you were to swap in the VW gearbox that would require a lot of reverse engineering to get a VW driveline to work right. If you could source a manual rover gearbox from across the pond then that would be the better alternative. I wonder if any of the canadian market freelanders came with a manual box? They seem to get more stripper models than the US does in general car wise. In the US the only drivetrain combo in the freelander that i'm aware of is the kv6 coupled to a crap jatco auto box..

G4in08Nate

mantec intake on its way!

Did the manual offer a lower gear vs the auto or were they about the same?

The transmissions in these are jatco japeneses trans rather good in other vehicles ie honda etc. The manual and auto are about the same i believe. I am planning on bringing a TD4 from australia this fall/winter along with a manual trans. The manual was a Getrag from Germany used by BMW

You guys have to relize I am doing this as a challenge to see if I can shine some light on Land Rovers step child. I posted a pic parked next to a freelander 2 the other day to give a comparison. This project is entirly for fun guys so give me a break. I am also in the process of bringing in a 1987 300tdi defender 110 from Australia due to arrive this October/November. I have some connections over there and travel to OZ for business. So my Rover affair is legit and educated.

I will show the raised air intake install when it arrives next week. Also posted a pic from an old post on here this is what I am going for.

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 14
  • CVCFreelander1.jpg
    CVCFreelander1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman