Trying Something New - Kayak

rkj__

Adventurer
Well, I like to spend time outdoors. Most frequently, I hop on my bicycle and ride. Mostly MTB, sometimes road. However, I've been doing that for over 10 years, and some days, I'm just not excited to ride. So, I thought maybe it would be fun to try something new.

I started looking on the local classified for kayaks. I wanted something that was light enough to handle on my own, and easy to transport in my pickup without needing fancy racking solutions. And of course, I wanted something cheap, just in case I did not really end up using it too much.

This pointed me towards beginner level boats in the 10' range. I gave myself a budget of <$300.

Before long, I found a little Dimension Escapade that looked like it would work.

null_zps2919cb73.jpg

I took it out for a paddle today, and had a good time. I launched into Lake Ontario, near the shipwreck of the Grande Hermine, and paddled into Jordan Harbor.
http://www.niagaragreenbelt.com/listings/70-monuments/900-grande-hermine-.html

IMG_0373_zps820fe6b9.jpg

Paddled by some expensive boats in the marina.

IMG_0375_zps6729bf69.jpg

IMG_0383_zps5a38ab17.jpg

IMG_0374_zps44dcea57.jpg

IMG_0378_zps9544ff71.jpg

I was delighted to see some swans as I returned to shore.

IMG_0388_zps76e53911.jpg

IMG_0391_zps62b6d207.jpg

The kayak seems good for recreational use. It feels stable, even on the waves of the great Lake Ontario. It's no trekking kayak, and does not track quite like I expect a 14-17' boat would, but that's ok.

It's super easy to slide in and out of my truck bed, and light enough to carry to the water without any struggle or assistance.

IMG_0393_zps19711e49.jpg

It's a good upper body workout to balance the cycling.

I had fun, and hope to have more fun with it moving forward.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Thinking along the same lines here as well. Local store has a half-day guided paddle that is part teaching, part test drive/sales pitch. Primarily looking for something different to get out'n'about.

conifers4

Suburban nomad
Welcome to the world of paddling, I did the exact same thing you did rki. Watched my local Craigslist for awhile until a nice 10' Wilderness Systems kayak popped up for under $300. It definitely doesn't track straight and its no speed demon but I love it anyway. Great, cheap hobby. May I recommend a paddle leash if you did not already purchase one.

rkj__

Adventurer
Welcome to the world of paddling, I did the exact same thing you did rki. Watched my local Craigslist for awhile until a nice 10' Wilderness Systems kayak popped up for under $300. It definitely doesn't track straight and its no speed demon but I love it anyway. Great, cheap hobby. May I recommend a paddle leash if you did not already purchase one.

Thanks.

I suppose I'm not totally new to paddling. My family has a canoe, but it is big and heavy, so although it is good on camping trips, we never used it too much locally. It would be no fun at all to try and take it out solo.

My Dad is planing to pick up a little kayak as well, so that way I won't be solo all the time either.

scanny

Observer
Welcome to kayaking, but be careful on big lakes. From the picture looks like you kayak doesn't like big waves, and weather on lake Ontario can change quite unexpectedly.

rkj__

Adventurer
Welcome to kayaking, but be careful on big lakes. From the picture looks like you kayak doesn't like big waves, and weather on lake Ontario can change quite unexpectedly.

Good advice for sure. The last couple weeks have shown us several examples of severe, fast moving weather.

Shoeman

Observer
IMG_1121.JPG
We've made kayaking part of our trips for many years. You've picked a great boat for small lakes and ponds. As others have said, be very very wary on big lakes. What on shore seems like a small change in the wind can seem like an "oh s^&t" moment when you're a mile away from where you put in and now these waves appear from nowhere and they are breaking on your bow. We're lucky in that we live about 15 miles away from the Old Town Canoe factory and they have a big seconds and overrun sale every year. I took this shot two summers ago. We spent about an hour just floating a couple hundred feet away from this momma moose as she fed on the bottom weeds. A calf would poke it's head out of the bushes occasionally and they'd snort at each other. We've seen eagles 50' away in trees, beavers, seals, many different birds, deer, and much more. Plenty of geocaches are only accessible by boat too if you're into that game. Many states have built primitive camp sites on remote lakes and ponds that you can paddle to and spend the night or just park at and have lunch and not see another soul for the whole day.

DoiNomazi

Two Nomads
You seem to be doing ok on water... Respect the water, but don't be afraid of it. Just make sure you wear a PFD. Small pond, big lake, long river, the ocean, you can enjoy it all. No worries, just be prepared...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179