Tufport Overlander

rruff

Explorer

unnamed-2.jpg

I think this would have had a lot more utility if they'd made it about 75" tall and 80" wide, with a cabover portion at least 54" long. It appears to be a new mold, too.

Thoughts?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Nice to see another new player! But I agree, the interior is made for little people only... How tall is the cabover?

rruff

Explorer
I don't know, not much info... but gotta be real tight if the rest if the interior is only 65" high.

Dave in AZ

think this would have had a lot more utility if they'd made it about 75" tall and 80" wide, with a cabover portion at least 54" long.
Tune M1, not a slide in though, just a topper. 80-83" tall, 78" wide, cabover almost 5 ft or 59.5".

Yeah the dimensions on this are odd, 65" is short. And they never disclosed weight.

simple

Adventurer
They had a different "Overlander" rendering showing a box with no cabover saying coming soon for the last 3 years maybe 4. This image looks to me more like a deluxe topper than a camper.

rruff

Explorer
They had a different "Overlander" rendering showing a box with no cabover saying coming soon for the last 3 years maybe 4. This image looks to me more like a deluxe topper than a camper.
All of their shells are slide ins, so it's probably the same. Kinda looks like a variation on the T62. https://tufport.com/adventure/

I think a shell that is a little bigger than anything they make, and with a real sleeping berth, would be more popular. The nice thing is the curved lines and shape. You still need to insulate them, as it's a single wall. Or if they insulated and added another wall inside, they'd have a real winner.

WasatchOverland

Let me chime in a bit on the thought process, and some other details of the Overlander;
It primarily is a comfy lightweight base camp.
The real focus is on not overloading the truck that it is to be mounted on to. It is a full slide-in unit, 6.5' in length, with a 66" interior height (more on that later).
The Overlander unit will be fully outfitted by us at Wasatch Overland, that includes full insulation and a 'second' interior wall system, using water impervious materials that are also super light weight (almost half the weight of the wood equivalent).
There will be three variations of interior layout to choose from, all three with over 6' sleeping areas, even running widthways. 2 of the 3 layouts will include cabinets and substantial electrical systems.
All units will include solar, shore and dcdc charging, interior lights and a Maxxair 7500k fan. Options will include skylight, water and heat systems, ladders, rack etc.
The overcab section is designed for maximum storage, but also can be utilized for a secondary sleeping area with an approximate 22" max height, 73" width and 45" fore-aft dimension.
As for the height, this unit was strategically designed to have minimum wind resistance, whilst still allow for the user to sit up fully, and move around with ease inside, for putting on ski-pants etc, sitting up to cook is no problem with the interior designs. Tear drop trailers, Rtt's and many existing slide-ins and campers don't allow for standing up inside, the reason for overlanding is to be outdoors, with a comfy warm base to return to, and we think the Overlander will fill that niche.
It may not be for everyone, but a (proposed) sub-900lb fully built out camper, certainly has the attention of many people.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I'll answer what I can.

BarbaraBrown

Let me chime in a bit on the thought process, and some other details of the Overlander;
The real focus is on not overloading the truck that it is to be mounted on to. It is a full slide-in unit, 6.5' in length, with a 66" interior height (more on that later).
The Overlander unit will be fully outfitted by us at Wasatch Overland, that includes full insulation and a 'second' interior wall system, using water impervious materials that are also super light weight (almost half the weight of the wood equivalent).
There will be three variations of interior layout to choose from, all three with over 6' sleeping areas, even running widthways. 2 of the 3 layouts will include cabinets and substantial electrical systems.
All units will include solar, shore and dcdc charging, interior lights and a Maxxair 7500k fan. Options will include skylight, water and heat systems, ladders, rack etc.
The overcab section is designed for maximum storage, but also can be utilized for a secondary sleeping area with an approximate 22" max height, 73" width and 45" fore-aft dimension.
As for the height, this unit was strategically designed to have minimum wind resistance, whilst still allow for the user to sit up fully, and move around with ease inside, for putting on ski-pants etc, sitting up to cook is no problem with the interior designs. Tear drop trailers, Rtt's and many existing slide-ins and campers don't allow for standing up inside, the reason for overlanding is to be outdoors, with a comfy warm base to return to, and we think the Overlander will fill that niche.
It may not be for everyone, but a (proposed) sub-900lb fully built out camper, certainly has the attention of many people.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate you. Embarking on the thesis journey is a significant academic milestone, and Academized's thesis writing services https://academized.com/thesis-writing-service is the ideal companion. Their expertise in turning complex ideas into coherent theses is commendable. Trust them to guide you through the intricate thesis-writing process.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate you.

Last edited:

Spencer for Hire

What kind of heating system are you putting in? Thank You.

ITTOG

I like that it isn't wider than the truck. But yeah, it needs to be taller, even for me at 5' 6". If it was taller and I didn't have my slide in I would have bought this. A lot of if's, I know. Oh so close.

HMT

Some new pics/renders have been posted to the site. I guess we will see pricing relatively soon.

rruff

Explorer
It's only 72" wide inside and the cabover narrows. The "fence" that blocks the cabover folds down, and maybe that gives you 6' fore aft... but it looks like less.

I'm curious about the typical gap between the camper and top of the cab, because it looks like too much. I'm a fan of making that just enough for typical modern trucks that would be carrying this (it fits a mid-size bed, so that's what it's really made for) and anyone who needs more clearance can simply raise the floor of the camper. Vertical height in the overhead bunk is important, plus an excessive gap creates drag and noise.

I also think it needs at least 74" of interior height... only in the aisle, you can angle the roof down on the sides! This would at least make it so most people could stand and not be hunched over all the time... and also give you more headroom in the cabover.

I appreciate the effort for something like this, but I think they are missing the mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior