Tumacacori Wilderness Legislation Introduced

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
calamaridog said:
Or look at our own backyard. East County San Diego has been trashed!

The last time I was down to Otay Mountain, I came away with 2 bags of trash. I attribute that to the illegals, not the BP. The BP has closed off many of the good dirt trails along the border from Otay to Calexico. Speaking of trash, San Diego County seems to have become one big trash pile, it used to be pretty clean along our roads & freeways, no more.

Clutch

<---Pass
Way to go Roseann,

It is beautiful down there. I have been on Ruby Road a few times. One of those places that feels fairly open and wild.

This shot is looking South, from Ruby towards Mexico.

Brian (Goodtimes) and I took the bikes down Ruby Road a awhile back.

Last edited:

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Kermit said:
Brian (Goodtimes) and I took the bikes down Ruby Road a awhile back.

Oh, I really, really need a bike. That is THE perfect road - and I could get to it from home all on backroads :)

Counting-counting-counting the days til I can get ahead on the FJ60 project and then start looking for a small-cc bike.

Thanks a lot - I had successfully shunted that particular WANT to the back burner for a while!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
awalter said:
The last time I was down to Otay Mountain, I came away with 2 bags of trash. I attribute that to the illegals, not the BP. The BP has closed off many of the good dirt trails along the border from Otay to Calexico. Speaking of trash, San Diego County seems to have become one big trash pile, it used to be pretty clean along our roads & freeways, no more.

You are right, there is tons of trash all over the place now.

Otay Truck Trail used to be fun years ago until BP bulldozed and graded everything and put down gravel. The area south of the 8 near Smugglers Cave is now under additional travel restrictions thanks to BP. You are supposed to get a permit now from the BLM office.

Remember when we were out there Feb. 06 or so the BP came to see what we were doing. Like it wasn't painfully obvious we were not smugglers and drug runners.

I'd like to offer amnesty to every illegal who picks up 10 tons of trash.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
DesertRose said:
IMild rant alert: The "my way or no way" attitude of many people these days is wearing thin for me - whether 4wheelers griping about exclusionary land designations or the girl who was hiking on a designated 4x4 recreation road in Colorado last week (Black Bear Pass) and deliberately stepping in front of trucks (did it to me, did it to another driver) and then giving us dirty looks and sniping that "pedestrians have the right of way". (Or the mountain bikers who glared and wouldn't return our wave and greeting.)

Like our kindergarten teachers said, if we don't learn to get along, there won't be any recess!

This part I had to comment on. I completely agree, but I keep it to myself since there doesn't seem to be one group that is reasonable. I mountain bike, and when I do I hear comments about fat lazy offroaders or noisey horrible dirt bikes. When I hike I hear comments and a general hatred for all of the above. The desert racer guys talk about a triathalon going on near their race like they should run over the road bikers etc etc. IT'S SO STUPID AND SHORT SIGHTED!
I can't stand it! I like to do it all, but I think the outdoor people need to band together under one theme and common purpose instead of fighting amongst ourselves while the areas we use are being taken away for whatever reason.
I feel something similar to the "tread lightly" idea is need, but with the purpose of simply uniting outdoor people for the cause of saving the outdoors with the understanding that it serves many purposes and each deserves its area.
I don't want to give my time or money to a group that wants to make all outdoors "hiking only" and at the same time I don't want to give it to people that just want to keep it all open for any yahoo to rip roar a 4x4 through.
I just want to keep as much usable as possible with the understanding that there needs to be areas for every purpose. Heck some even "needs" to be developed at some point. Might as well choose it instead of having it be some pristine ecological area.
:sport_box

(Rant off) Sorry, back to being quite. :rappel:

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
SOAZ said:
This part I had to comment on. I completely agree, but I keep it to myself since there doesn't seem to be one group that is reasonable. I mountain bike, and when I do I hear comments about fat lazy offroaders or noisey horrible dirt bikes. When I hike I hear comments and a general hatred for all of the above. The desert racer guys talk about a triathalon going on near their race like they should run over the road bikers etc etc. IT'S SO STUPID AND SHORT SIGHTED!
I can't stand it! I like to do it all, but I think the outdoor people need to band together under one theme and common purpose instead of fighting amongst ourselves while the areas we use are being taken away for whatever reason.
I feel something similar to the "tread lightly" idea is need, but with the purpose of simply uniting outdoor people for the cause of saving the outdoors with the understanding that it serves many purposes and each deserves its area.
I don't want to give my time or money to a group that wants to make all outdoors "hiking only" and at the same time I don't want to give it to people that just want to keep it all open for any yahoo to rip roar a 4x4 through.
I just want to keep as much usable as possible with the understanding that there needs to be areas for every purpose. Heck some even "needs" to be developed at some point. Might as well choose it instead of having it be some pristine ecological area.
:sport_box

(Rant off) Sorry, back to being quite. :rappel:
Hear, hear!

I do all of the above as well. I'd still do multiday backpacking if I could, but my knees can't take it. I really wish that we would all band together!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78