Tundra Battery Question

amo292

Adventurer
Hi guys, this topic may have been touched on before, but I need help deciding on a battery. My truck is a 2008 Tundra with the 5.7. It currently has some cheesy aftermarket battery that I had to buy in a pinch a little over two years ago now. Needless to say that battery is on its way out. With frequent below zero temps I'm just waiting till I'm left stranded again so the search begins for a replacement.

I am between two, one wet cell and one AGM.

Number one: Sears Diehard Platinum group 35 AGM
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-automotive-battery-group-size-35-price/p-02851035000P

Pros:
Made in the great US of A
850 CCA
Reserve Capacity of 130
4 year free replacement

Cons:
$250 price tag
Not supporting small business

Number Two: Interstate Megatron Plus 27F
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...1&Title=Pure+Lead+MTP27F+replacement++battery

Pros:
$130 Price tag
Can buy from a friends local business
Reserve Capacity of 165

Cons:
Made in Mexico
710 CCA
2.5 year free replacement

I do not have any strenuous accessories but I do have an inverter I use infrequently and will soon have a small air compressor to run. I do frequently sit with the engine off listening to the stereo when waiting for boats or on the beach.

So my question to you guys is will one or the other better suit my needs? What suggestions do you have that may sway my choice or supplement my pro/con list? Any prior experience? Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
In your environment I would seriously consider the battery with a longer replacement warranty, as well as being readily available nearby in case of the unexpected need for replacement.

The Diehard Platinum series aren't cheap compared to a generic brand or 'standard' wet-cell battery, but I read good things about them all the time.

They are also favorably compared to the higher-grade, more expen$ive Odyssey brand batteries which are also made by Enersys from what I understand - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/14285-Odyssey-vs-Diehard-Platinum

Right now I'm waffling on a battery replacement myself. Like your Tundra, my '08 FJC uses a Group 35, and I'll probably get the same Diehard Platinum you posted above.

spin_prod_937441912

I'm tempted to go for the larger Group 31M deep-cycle, but I also don't have a lot of on-board electrical gear and the extra cost for a battery that may/may not live just as long... I think it's overkill in my case.

amo292

Adventurer
Thanks for the input SWITAWI. I agree with the longer replacement warranty. Its funny because I have had batteries last 13 years and others 2.5 years so I guess you never know! As for availability the sears would be better when out and about but not when at home. Ill have to look a little more into the replacement policies.

amo292

Adventurer
Anyone else have some input? I like to hear everyones personal experience with either of the two makes and styles!

amo292

Adventurer
Im not sure how I skipped over the group 31.... Is there an advantage to it that warrants the extra $50? I can see that it has higher rc and cca's but is that really necessary for my application? Can it only be had in a marine grade? I also see that it only carries a 3 year free replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998