Tundra Build up or SUV

killborn

Hello all, figured since I just joined I should post something..

My current ride is a 2015 Tundra Limited. Pretty much stock other than some KO2's for the bad weather and a little offload camping. I have a Diamond Back HD on it with some Thule racks and mount my RTT this way for camping out in the British Columbia area.
This has worked great for the past 3 years, but now I face a challenge many do.. I have a kid on the way and a very large dog and I have to make room for both. I use my truck as a daily commuter, so I don't want to go overboard with making it an "expedition" vehicle, but do want to be set up so that I can just load the cooler and a few totes on a Friday and hit the road.

This weekend I mounted the Car seat and the dog is not impressed.. We already use to use the back seat for blankets, coolers food etc when camping and load the bed with camp gear ie chairs, fishing gear, etc. I am considering either selling the Diamond back and adding a cap that can hold an RTT, stick the dog in the bed and we have much more space in the truck. Then look at adding a few additions to ensure the truck can manage the weight when heading off road..
Obviously this can be a fairly expensive fix with an HD cap being around $4000 Canadian. I only have about a year of payments left on the truck. Having no payments would obviously free up some extra cash for truck toys.

Or do I just ditch the truck and get an SUV. Land Cruiser or similar..

Pro's and Con's from anyone who has had to navigate this minefield?

Picture attached..

Attachments

• 14117894_10154623522792176_6192202062238509828_n.jpg
    14117894_10154623522792176_6192202062238509828_n.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 115

Kpack

Adventurer
I would tend to lean towards the Tundra, given that you almost have it paid off. Selling and getting another vehicle may land you in yet another car payment that takes longer to pay off. If it were me I would definitely put the dog in the bed of the truck, either with a topper or without (in a kennel). However, you've got tons of space in the rear of your cab....maybe the dog just needs to get used to having a baby back there with him?

I don't think an SUV will solve your problem. You still will have storage issues, and the 2nd row isn't any bigger than a Tundra. If you put the dog in the 3rd row, now you've lost all your storage space.

killborn

I like the crate, I would need a travel crate. Not impossible. I have a Bernese Mountain Dog, though a female and so a little smaller than the males, she is still getting close to the 90lbs mark. I also like the idea of removing the seats for a platform. Especially since I take pup to work daily, so having the crate is a plus. Thanks

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Keep that truck. Pay it off. Your money is better used for enhancing the truck, adventuring and taking care of the kid. A paid off truck that meets most of your needs is most times better than a truck you are paying for, even if it meets "every need" (of which there is no vehicle in the world).

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
This is why I drive a tundra
d64c14eb1e20f58aa4ae33bc9654847e.jpg

This one is a 5.7
The million mile one that Toyota traded the guy for a new one so they could tear it down and see what failed so they could improve on it was a 4.7

I have a Tundra double cab, daily driver and a 4y/o no dog though. We use it all the time as a camper ( I have a Leitner bed rack with RTT) We have the child seat in rear passenger side(single seat) So we can fold up the double seat to store blankets and such. Would that floor area be enough for your dog?

killborn

That is what we will do for the moment, car seat in the single seater and bench up. Just being a paranoid parent with a dog in the back potentially being too amused with a little one in the car seat. I am sure she will relax after a while and just lay down. Still leaning towards trading the Diamond back for a Cap, though our next issue is sleeping space in the RTT.. I see myself being booted into the annex with the dog while mom and baby take over the tent.

gillbrak

We have a double cab with a softopper and bedrack for RTT, awning and big sky rod box. I have a decked drawer system that houses all of our camping gear, chainsaw, stove, etc. A fridge mounted back there. Two bernese mountain dogs (males ~ 120 and 110 lbs) that ride and sleep in the bed. Really all that rides in the cab is our clothing. I wanted the greater weight capacity hardshell topper but just couldn't justify the price. The softopper makes it easy to roll up and hose out after the dogs get it all muddy.

sn_85

Observer
Keep the truck. The 2nd row in the Tundra is ginormous. You could fit the baby seat and dog back there. The dog will adjust to the baby and space fairly quickly. I would get a topper and throw the rest of the stuff (cooler, blanket, food) in the truck bed. There's nothing a little rearranging won't solve and I don't think getting an SUV makes it all that much different. Give that a try and then if after a few trips you find that you don't like the setup then get an SUV. No reason to just trade the truck in now if you haven't tried the simple fix. If you think adding a $4k topper is fairly expensive then just imagine how much you'll lose on selling the Tundra and how much more a Land Cruiser is. $4k topper or $40k to trade up to a Land Cruiser. I'll take the easy cheaper option on that one.

Bill Snow

I had the same dilemma. Originally had a crewmax and sold it for a 4runner right before my son was born.

My son is now 1.5 years old and we have 2 large dogs (Seger 9, Stanger 13). I’m now planning on selling my wifes car so she can drive the 4runner and I can get another Tundra.

Our dogs always enjoyed sleeping on the floors on long trips so I think we can make it work.

Keep the truck.

MTSN

Explorer
There have been many cases of children being killed by small, loose objects (like a milk jug).

I'm not saying this hasn't happened because it definitely sounds like it's possible in theory, but are there are any actual documented cases of something like this occurring in the real world? We've all read this advice in forums, and I agree everything should be strapped down inside the truck but I've never seen a news story or first hand account of something like a milk jug killing someone in an accident.

I had a similar conundrum with my Tundra. I had a BakFlip that served about 80% of what I needed but couldn't carry 2 GSDs and 3 kids out of the elements. I found a used ARE CX series cap from a fellow overlander on a local Facebook page for about half the price of new. He did use if for a year or so with a RTT on it without additional bracing and didn't experience any problems. The only problem I have is that I end up carrying far more than I probably need most of the time since I have the additional storage space. Still considering the decked system for my truck as well.

Consider keeping your eyes open for a chance to pick up used across the border to save yourself some money. You may need to get it painted, but still be cheaper than new.

phsycle

Adventurer
Sheesh, that's gotta be tough trying to fit one kid and one dog into a Crewmax. Space management!

:D
Try fitting 3 kids in a Tacoma!
I'd say keep the truck. Much more versatile platform. I'd also say forget the cap and look into Vagabond Drifter or Go Fast Camper.
I'd also say good move on putting the dog in the bed. I love dogs, but they become flying projectiles in an accident. Bad idea with the kids in the back.

killborn

I had a similar conundrum with my Tundra. I had a BakFlip that served about 80% of what I needed but couldn't carry 2 GSDs and 3 kids out of the elements. I found a used ARE CX series cap from a fellow overlander on a local Facebook page for about half the price of new. He did use if for a year or so with a RTT on it without additional bracing and didn't experience any problems. The only problem I have is that I end up carrying far more than I probably need most of the time since I have the additional storage space. Still considering the decked system for my truck as well.

Consider keeping your eyes open for a chance to pick up used across the border to save yourself some money. You may need to get it painted, but still be cheaper than new.

Thanks, considering looking for one down South. Just want to get rid of the Diamonback. It has served me well, but a new configuration is in the works for sure..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior